What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix status update

More specifically it is on one of the skinny sides on a silver colored sticker
Even more specifically: if you are looking at the unit and you can see the word ECHO upright on the face of the unit (which should be VERY visible as that is the side the small LED indicator lights are on to tell you if the unit is properly working), the power and antennae terminals will be on the bottom (if you are reading the word ECHO upright) and the SN sticker will be on the RIGHT skinny side and is, indeed, a small silver sticker with even smaller numbers for the serial number. No removal necessary unless that side is up against something holding the unit in place. Mine happens to be sitting upright with the wires coming out of the SIDE and the SN is easy to see on what would then be the skinny 'top' of the unit..... Depends on how it was installed. 😊 Photo is my IA inspecting my work.....:ROFLMAO: If you look closely you can see the little sticker on the top right aspect of the unit as it sits.....

Attachments

• IMG_8116.jpg
    IMG_8116.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 71
I would hope that the installation of your EchoUAT is documented in your airframe log, and if that's the case, seems to me a diligent A&P would put the serial number there. If not, maybe you could call him. Failing all of that, you might have to un-install it to find the serial number on the box.
One would definitely hope that, but unfortunately it's not the case. I think with help from this awesome group, I've figured out where to look for it.

I sent my original request back in early December when the program was announced (not on the no-fly list) and hadn't heard anything. I emailed them and they responded very promptly, as has been usual in my experience with this company.

-----------------------------
Tuesday 3/12/2024
Hi [MacCool]
Sorry but the EchoAlt Update is still not available yet. We are hoping by the end of this month. Please fell free to keep checking with us but as soon as its available we will start shipping.

Thank you
[G E]
uAvionix Technical Support

THIS is where the SN is................Yes, that is Cat hair you see floating around..... 😊
After seeing this picture, I had to go check that center rivet. Is it really raised up like that? No: it's a shadow from the light sitting where it is....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Echo2.jpg
    Echo2.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 59
Has anyone heard anything from uAvionix lately? Initially they said they would start shipping the encoders in January. Then I heard a new batch should ship at the end of March. Well today is the 31st, so are they shipping? Has anyone received one?

So far I have not shown up on any FAA bad boys list (that I know of!), but I don't know how long that will last!

Has anyone heard anything from uAvionix lately? Initially they said they would start shipping the encoders in January. Then I heard a new batch should ship at the end of March. Well today is the 31st, so are they shipping? Has anyone received one?
I haven't heard anything lately. I am (maybe) pretty high on the wait list as I replied to their request for information within hours of it coming out.....but who knows?? Yep: end of January.....or maybe February.......or perhaps end of........um........March.........Let's see....what comes next? Oh, yeah.......APRIL.....that's right. They'll start shipping before the end of April. Or May....be not......🤷‍♂️ Soon perhaps? I would imagine there was a huge request for them seeing that with the Echo they are FREE. Who would pass that up?😂

It's about to be a minor PITA for me as I am about to close up the baggage compartment walls and would like to have the new unit back there before I do. Not going to happen...... Guess I'll be opening that back up again......in April........right?

So far I have not shown up on any FAA bad boys list (that I know of!), but I don't know how long that will last!
I have not heard anyone getting in trouble yet. One would think that would show up on this forum. I think the new unit is more of a fine-tuning device than the original 'where are you' device. 🤞

Last edited:

I also was an early responder - Jan 22. I sent in the updated info request the day I got it on Feb 21. No response from them yet, even though they estimated delivery some time ago. Is this necessary? I’m planning on doing some cross country traveling this summer. It would be nice to know.

I also was an early responder - Jan 22. I sent in the updated info request the day I got it on Feb 21. No response from them yet, even though they estimated delivery some time ago. Is this necessary? I’m planning on doing some cross country traveling this summer. It would be nice to know.
They're behind. Usual reasons in today's world and nothing nefarious, based on a couple of phone calls and emails over the last few months. I'm prepared that it will just take as much time as it takes. I'm confident that they will get to it, I just don't know when and I realize there's nothing I can do to alter the time course. I continue to get B-Alt failures on PAPRs in fringe areas (ie...all of northern Minnesota) but no one in the ATC world has expressed any concern to me, despite frequent time spent in the MSP Mode C veil.

As a follow up to my initial post. I just received the following email from uAvionix. I'd like to think it was because I complained, but I'm sure it is just coincidence!!

- Paul

Hello,

Thank you for your patience over the past 2 months as we completed testing and put the final touches on the echoALT before shipping. The response to our echoAlt announcement has been great and we are grateful to you for choosing uAvionix as your ADS-B solution.

We are pleased to announce that initial echoALT units are now shipping!

We will continue to roll out and increase shipments over the next few months as we work through the most affected installation configurations and environments.

If you have already submitted a form and chose to receive an echoALT, you will receive a separate shipping confirmation email when your unit is dispatched. This email will include tracking information so you can monitor the progress of your shipment.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Cheers,
Team uAvionix

They're behind. Usual reasons in today's world and nothing nefarious, based on a couple of phone calls and emails over the last few months. I'm prepared that it will just take as much time as it takes. I'm confident that they will get to it, I just don't know when and I realize there's nothing I can do to alter the time course. I continue to get B-Alt failures on PAPRs in fringe areas (ie...all of northern Minnesota) but no one in the ATC world has expressed any concern to me, despite frequent time spent in the MSP Mode C veil.
I just got an email from them today stating that they were beginning to ship units. Here's the text:

Hello,
Thank you for your patience over the past 2 months as we completed testing and put the final touches on the echoALT before shipping. The response to our echoAlt announcement has been great and we are grateful to you for choosing uAvionix as your ADS-B solution.

We are pleased to announce that initial echoALT units are now shipping!

We will continue to roll out and increase shipments over the next few months as we work through the most affected installation configurations and environments.

If you have already submitted a form and chose to receive an echoALT, you will receive a separate shipping confirmation email when your unit is dispatched. This email will include tracking information so you can monitor the progress of your shipment.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Cheers,

Team uAvionix

echoUAT service bulletin docs are up on the uAvionix website:

Haven't read them in detail yet, but a quick scan essentially says....don't install the software until you have the new hardware installed.

echoUAT service bulletin docs are up on the uAvionix website:

Haven't read them in detail yet, but a quick scan essentially says....don't install the software until you have the new hardware installed.
Go to the Installation Guide and Usual Manual, section 9.4

Back