What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix status update

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I filed the information needed to get the module from uAvionix that is supposed to fix the non-compliance stated by the FAA. I have not heard a word yet. Has anyone out there gotten either a status update or received the altitude module?

Thanks,
Paul

I filed the information needed to get the module from uAvionix that is supposed to fix the non-compliance stated by the FAA. I have not heard a word yet. Has anyone out there gotten either a status update or received the altitude module?

Thanks,
Paul
Same here. uAvionix did say "These encoders are currently in production and we intend to begin shipping in January 2024." And, we still have a week left in January........

OK, while typing this reply I received an email from uAvionix with a link to update information about my echoUAT installation (specifically the transponder make/model). Not sure if that is unique to me, or they're pinging everyone who needs the altitude encoder. We'll see.

First I've heard about this. What is going on, where can I find information if I am affected. I checked their website
and can't locate any information. I have been flying with the Echo UAT FYX for about 8 years or so. Back when
the NavWorx box was done away with.

About when did Uavonix first notify/post about this problem?

Last edited:
Same here. uAvionix did say "These encoders are currently in production and we intend to begin shipping in January 2024." And, we still have a week left in January........

OK, while typing this reply I received an email from uAvionix with a link to update information about my echoUAT installation (specifically the transponder make/model). Not sure if that is unique to me, or they're pinging everyone who needs the altitude encoder. We'll see.
I got the same email today asking about my Transponder and to verify my shipping address

Just got an email today verifying 1st form info included a shipping address ,not sure that was in the first one...... said they expected to start delivery by end of Jan.

Got my email today as well:

Thank you for completing the Important echoUAT Update Form. We have received your information but need a bit more info from you. We've included a link at the bottom of this email that will allow you to verify/edit your original form response and resubmit it. You'll note that we need complete address information now and have added a few more questions related to your installation. Please update your response in the form as soon as possible to ensure timely processing of your selection.

Followed by an apology for taking so long:

I bet you're interested in a production update. We are working hard to get the first production batch completed and shipping by the end of January. We had a bit more of a delay over the holidays than expected but we are still working towards that goal. There was an overwhelming response to our initial outreach that allocated the entire first batch of echoALTs. We are already working on the second batch and we will do our best to get those out to you all as soon as possible.

Bottom line: who knows! The "end of January" hasn't happened yet. I immediately jumped on the form when it first came out. Perhaps I am on the short list! But, if they are requesting more information (type of transponder), perhaps not. We shall see. I'll update when mine comes on January 31! ;)

Thanks,
Paul
I also completed the form and hadn’t heard anything. Sent them an email today and was told that I would receive an email when the unit ships. Thy have also now enabled form submission responses. I wouldn’t send an email at this time since it would probably gum up the works if they receive too many.
Ken

I completed my request on 12/16/23 and I received another email today asking for additional information such as transponder make & model along with a shipping address. I suspect they're getting closer to shipping the altitude encoders.

Slight drift- for the Non-TSO'd Beacon versions- they also lack the onboard altitude encoder of the TSO'd versions.

How does this situation not apply to them?

I have to take stuff apart to retrieve my serial number to properly fill out the Service Bulletin form.
So what exactly is the problem that Uavionix is trying to fix with the EchoUat? It seems they are supplying an altitude encoder to interface directly with the Echo. My Echo doesn't seem to be having significant problems "sniffing" the altitude from my GTX327 transponder. I don't know what company first did the "sniffing" trick, but wonder if this is some kind of patent infringement issue, or an altitude retrieving reliability issue.

I have to take stuff apart to retrieve my serial number to properly fill out the Service Bulletin form.
So what exactly is the problem that Uavionix is trying to fix with the EchoUat? It seems they are supplying an altitude encoder to interface directly with the Echo. My Echo doesn't seem to be having significant problems "sniffing" the altitude from my GTX327 transponder. I don't know what company first did the "sniffing" trick, but wonder if this is some kind of patent infringement issue, or an altitude retrieving reliability issue.
Read the letter (address posted in an earlier post). The FAA is now concerned about the lack of barometric altitude in the adsb-out signal, should you be flying in an area (low altitude, far from atc radar) where there is nothing to ‘ping’ the transponder. IMHO this is a black eye for the faa; unfortunately not the first time a fsdo has issued guidance contrary to faa HQ (e.g., the two weeks to taxi program).

Read the letter (address posted in an earlier post). The FAA is now concerned about the lack of barometric altitude in the adsb-out signal, should you be flying in an area (low altitude, far from atc radar) where there is nothing to ‘ping’ the transponder. IMHO this is a black eye for the faa; unfortunately not the first time a fsdo has issued guidance contrary to faa HQ (e.g., the two weeks to taxi program).
I had read it, but still had not understood the specifics. So what I'm gathering from what you say is that an Echo in altitude "sniff" mode broadcasts altitude only when the transponder is pinged and that the hardwired EchoAlt will now let the EchoUAT broadcast altitude even without the transponder being pinged. So if that is the case, with Echo's that are physically connected to EFIS units (and thereby not "sniffing" ), there should be no problem.

My ECHO doesn’t ping at my home airport until I’m 2700 ft. above the airport, therefore I’ve been on the do not serve list for 5 years. It doesn’t seem to matter. I’ve never been turned down for service VFR or IFR. I ordered the part to fix it.

More from uAvionix this morning:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your information through the echoUAT form. We have received your information and are processing your selection.

If you need to submit a new form for an additional echoUAT, please click below:

Please DO NOT complete another form for an echoUAT you have already submitted.
We understand the urgency of this echoUAT update, and we will be following up shortly with shipping information and further details.

Additionally, we understand that circumstances may change, and preferences evolve. If, for any reason, you no longer wish to receive echoUAT emails from uAvionix, you can opt-out by clicking here. Please note that by opting out, you may miss important updates and information related to echoUAT.

Thank you once again for your cooperation and for being a valued uAvionix customer.

Cheers,
The uAvionix Team

PLEASE NOTE: If you have submitted more than one echoUAT Update Form because you have more than one echoUAT, you have received corresponding emails requesting an update to your response for each form. Completion of each update is necessary to ensure processing of your selection for each of your echoUAT devices.

More from uAvionix this morning:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your information through the echoUAT form. We have received your information and are processing your selection.

If you need to submit a new form for an additional echoUAT, please click below:

Please DO NOT complete another form for an echoUAT you have already submitted.
We understand the urgency of this echoUAT update, and we will be following up shortly with shipping information and further details.

Additionally, we understand that circumstances may change, and preferences evolve. If, for any reason, you no longer wish to receive echoUAT emails from uAvionix, you can opt-out by clicking here. Please note that by opting out, you may miss important updates and information related to echoUAT.

Thank you once again for your cooperation and for being a valued uAvionix customer.

Cheers,
The uAvionix Team

PLEASE NOTE: If you have submitted more than one echoUAT Update Form because you have more than one echoUAT, you have received corresponding emails requesting an update to your response for each form. Completion of each update is necessary to ensure processing of your selection for each of your echoUAT devices.
I got the same message although only one so far even though three submitted. Although it says action required it was not clear to me what action was needed since I do not need to submit more than the three I originally did and got replies.

Hmmm. I sent in my information a week ago thankfully due to this very thread. I did get an email from UAVIONIX that my form had been received
but.... That email is not in my inbox any longer! I did not delete it either. I checked other boxes too. Nothing. I don't understand. Other than that
email that's now mysteriously disappeared, I've received nothing from them.

I submitted the form when first requested as well, but haven't heard a word about it from uAvionix since. Still waiting on the "encoding altimeter" they said that they were going to send me "sometime in January". I will say that they did promptly respond to a couple of technical question I has a couple of weeks ago, however.

I tried to read my serial number with a borescope but couldn't find it. I connected the phone app hoping it would have the s/n (it doesn't) but found the wifi id has a number (PING-xxxx). Hoping that was tied to the s/n, I put that on the form and sent it in. I have not heard anything yet, good or bad, but it's only been a few days. We'll see.

I got the same message although only one so far even though three submitted. Although it says action required it was not clear to me what action was needed since I do not need to submit more than the three I originally did and got replies.
From what I can tell they are just mopping up any units that have not been submitted. If you submitted the three forms, you are done. I only submitted one (as I only HAVE one) and still got the request to submit, but only (I am guessing) if I had not submitted the form previously. 🤷‍♂️

Here is my history:

I visited website, competed form with serial number. I next received an email asking for more info. Then another email that they had what they needed, standby.
First email 1/22, second 1/30.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0611.png
    IMG_0611.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0610.png
    IMG_0610.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Here is my history:

I visited website, competed form with serial number. I next received an email asking for more info. Then another email that they had what they needed, standby.
First email 1/22, second 1/30.

Hope this helps
My story is the same as Butch. Sent requested info, and then some updated info…….. standing by.

From what I gather in this thread, they were suppose to start shipping in January. Has anyone received anything yet?

From what I gather in this thread, they were suppose to start shipping in January. Has anyone received anything yet?

I still haven't heard a word from them. I keep meaning to give them a call or email but keep forgetting. I'm not in a particular rush since I'm won't install it until my hangar represents a warmer working environment, and I don't seem to be generating any ATC concerns.

I can imagine the request for the new units was more than they had anticipated. They are on another production run and will start shipping units as they become available. Which is in January. They didn't mention what year......... 😆 It's like people asking when you will be done building your airplane.........;)

A friend in California has two of the echo units, one in a -3, the other in a -6 and, until we were talking several days ago, had heard nothing! :oops: Of course, he wasn't interested in having something that told the FAA more accurately where he was....!:ROFLMAO:

So: if you have heard anything, consider that a plus! I would imagine if you email them or call them you will likely be referred to the form in the above post #18. If you have submitted it, fine; if not submit it. Just guessing here...............

If I hear anything, The Forum will be the second to know.........

I sent an email to Uavionix this morning and received a reply a few hours later. They confirmed they had received my information and serial number regarding my unit.
They also said, "Your request for the echoALT has been received and approved and we estimate it to ship out in the second batch estimated in late March based on your original submission date of January 23, 2024."

So, looks like things are moving along.

They said, "Your request for the echoALT has been received and approved and we estimate it to ship out in the second batch estimated in late March based on your original submission date of January 23, 2024."

So, looks like things are moving along.
Thanks for the update, Paul. So they are determining where you are in line depending on your original submission, not the second request for more information. 🤷‍♂️ End of January, end of March......whichever....! All we can do is wait....:unsure:

They told me because I was on the do not serve list I would get the product early, nothing 2/20/2024.

Got this email this morning...........

Dear echoUAT User,
Thank you for your previous response to the echoUAT Update form.

Rest assured we have your response on file and are working to fulfill your request.

What's the status?

We are currently in the process of completing the engineering and flight test activities, as well as documentation for the echoAlt altitude encoder. With a significant quantity of echoAlt hardware that has just completed assembly, programming, and factory testing, we currently expect to begin shipping units to those early responders in approximately two weeks. Our 2nd batch of units is scheduled to start shipping around the end of March.

What about manuals and instructions?
We will share the availability of updated echoUAT manuals and the installation Service Bulletin prior to the shipment of units. You will receive a shipment notification by email when your unit(s) ship.

Will installation be difficult?
We intend for the installation to be as simple as possible, with an included "passthrough" cable design allowing plug-and-play installation for most applications. Below, you can find an example of what the installed harness and echoAlt will look like, along with a dimensioned drawing of the altitude encoder without the included cable harness.
Example echoALT configuration with "passthrough" harness​
proxy
echoALT Altitude Encoder Dimensions​
proxy
We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
uAvionix Team​

I got the same email yesterday. Sounds like a batch update. I am not on the No Service list so I will likely end up getting mine later than some.

I got the same email yesterday. Sounds like a batch update. I am not on the No Service list so I will likely end up getting mine later than some.
Tell me about the "No Service List" (NSAL). Is that available somewhere? I fly in a fringe area a lot but thus far I've not been notified by the FSDO about any coverage issues despite a number of PAPRs over the last few years that have returned low-percentage Baro Alt readings.

The FSDO never said a word about me being on the no service list. I’ve been all the way to Washington on this with no results. I might add, I’ve been from Key West to Anchorage to Bangor, Maine and no one has refused service.

The FSDO never said a word about me being on the no service list. I’ve been all the way to Washington on this with no results. I might add, I’ve been from Key West to Anchorage to Bangor, Maine and no one has refused service.
So you're not on the "no service list"?

So the Garmin product that works just like the Echo will also need an upgrade?
The garmin gdl-82 doesn’t listen for the transponder to be interrogated instead you run the transponder antenna cable to it and then out to the antenna (the gdl-82 is between the transponder and antenna) thus it can generate its own interrogations to the transponder over the coax. This means it’s never without the pressure altitude and it also means it’s more anonymous because it doesn't revert back to spitting out the tail number when it’s not seeing timely interrogations showing that you are squawking 1200.

I have been getting the latest notices of shipment so believe I am on the list and "in line". I currently have a GRT Sport EX EFIS, an echoUAT/GRT Safefly GPS package, a Transcal encoder and a King KT76A transponder which is being "sniffed" . All works well. I have two questions:
  1. After I wire in the echoALT encoder with the included pass through wiring harness, will it bypass my existing Transcal encoder? Will the Transcal encoder ever be used anymore?
  2. Will I have to make any setting changes in my GRT Sport EX EFIS which currently interfaces with the echoUAT? Originally, I had to use the phone app to change sensitivity settings etc on the echoUAT but now I believe the Sport EFIS does that. I no longer have to mess with the phone app. Everything has been rock solid.
Once I get the new encoder from uAvionics, I will call the folks at GRT to get answers to at least #2 above but just curious if anyone knows the answer now.
Keith

I also have the same equipment as you except I don’t have the Transcal encoder. I have a grey scale converter to send alt from the EFIS to my xponder.
From what I’ve seen, we just plug in the new device and move on.
Your Transcal sends to the transponder, which is ‘magically’ read by the echo when it responds to ATC.
The echo only uses the new device when the transponder is not being integrated often enough and it needs to send out altitude info.
Nothing I’ve seen indicates any need to change settings on the echo.

I have been getting the latest notices of shipment so believe I am on the list and "in line". I currently have a GRT Sport EX EFIS, an echoUAT/GRT Safefly GPS package, a Transcal encoder and a King KT76A transponder which is being "sniffed" . All works well. I have two questions:
  1. After I wire in the echoALT encoder with the included pass through wiring harness, will it bypass my existing Transcal encoder? Will the Transcal encoder ever be used anymore?
  2. Will I have to make any setting changes in my GRT Sport EX EFIS which currently interfaces with the echoUAT? Originally, I had to use the phone app to change sensitivity settings etc on the echoUAT but now I believe the Sport EFIS does that. I no longer have to mess with the phone app. Everything has been rock solid.
Once I get the new encoder from uAvionics, I will call the folks at GRT to get answers to at least #2 above but just curious if anyone knows the answer now.
Keith
I had a conversation with someone at Uavionix and was told that the echoalt will ONLY be used when pressure altitude is not available from sniffing the transponder output. Which for most of us is not very often. She also told me that it is not necessary to hook the echoalt up to the static system as cabin pressure is good enough. The FAA standards changed according to her as they were originally going to build an encoder into the echoUAT for just this situation but were told not to this so they took it out. Apparently the priority changed from baro altitude must always be exactly the same pressure altitude as the transponder to a baro altitude must always be available in the UAT output.

Henry

Last edited:
I had a conversation with someone at Uavionix and was told that the echoalt will ONLY be used when pressure altitude is not available from sniffing the transponder output. Which for most of us is not very often. She also told me that it is not necessary to hook the echoalt up to the static system as cabin pressure is good enough. The FAA standards changed according to her as they were originally going to build an encoder into the echoUAT for just this situation but were told not to fo so so they took it out. Apparently the priority changed from baro altitude must always be exactly the same pressure altitude as the transponder to a baro altitude must always be available in the UAT output.

Henry
Thanks Henry and Dennis, that is what I was looking for. Hopefully all will work well after I install it. Theoretically (famous last words) it should be easy to install and in my case take about 30 minutes.
Keith

Thanks Henry and Dennis, that is what I was looking for. Hopefully all will work well after I install it. Theoretically (famous last words) it should be easy to install and in my case take about 30 minutes.
Keith
For me: another trip into the back of the fuselage.......:rolleyes:

My echoUAT has not worked well since installing it last summer - most ADS-B reports (probably over 80%) come back as failed, usually due to BAlt in the red. Uavionix has been helpful, but we still haven't solved my problems. The unit is in my left wingtip and sniffing a GTX327. As Henry states in Post 42, above, baro altitude must always be exactly the same pressure altitude as the transponder. And if so, I'm sure this is my problem but it's been difficult for me to pinpoint and correct. My thinking is the altitude reported to my transponder is different than the altitude reported by the SkyFX-EXT (more error than allowed), so it is getting flagged and failing the reports. My transponder is getting altitude info from my AFS 4500.

I seriously doubt the echoALT will help with the issues I'm experiencing, but I'm signed up to receive one and will certainly install it. Also, on that subject, if the echoALT isn't connected to the static system, mine won't necessarily be sensing cabin pressure. I'm hoping "wingtip pressure" will be also be "close enough". I'm about ready to move the whole enchilada in the fuse somewhere, but that would require a lot of work. I thought the wingtip was on elegant solution because everything was there that I needed. But maybe it is biting me.

My echoUAT has not worked well since installing it last summer - most ADS-B reports (probably over 80%) come back as failed, usually due to BAlt in the red. Uavionix has been helpful, but we still haven't solved my problems. The unit is in my left wingtip and sniffing a GTX327. As Henry states in Post 42, above, baro altitude must always be exactly the same pressure altitude as the transponder. And if so, I'm sure this is my problem but it's been difficult for me to pinpoint and correct. My thinking is the altitude reported to my transponder is different than the altitude reported by the SkyFX-EXT (more error than allowed), so it is getting flagged and failing the reports. My transponder is getting altitude info from my AFS 4500.

I seriously doubt the echoALT will help with the issues I'm experiencing, but I'm signed up to receive one and will certainly install it. Also, on that subject, if the echoALT isn't connected to the static system, mine won't necessarily be sensing cabin pressure. I'm hoping "wingtip pressure" will be also be "close enough". I'm about ready to move the whole enchilada in the fuse somewhere, but that would require a lot of work. I thought the wingtip was on elegant solution because everything was there that I needed. But maybe it is biting me.
Ge9a, why not consider leaving the UAT ther in the wing tip, install the new Encoder that Uavionics is providing and install a tube from the encoder back into the fuselage/ cabin area that will provide a "good" static indication. Just a thought on reading your response.

I tried to read my serial number with a borescope but couldn't find it. I connected the phone app hoping it would have the s/n (it doesn't) but found the wifi id has a number (PING-xxxx). Hoping that was tied to the s/n, I put that on the form and sent it in. I have not heard anything yet, good or bad, but it's only been a few days. We'll see.
Hi gyoung, I'm in a similar situation in not having the serial number written anywhere (installed previously and no paperwork). How did you finally locate your serial number for the upgrade form submission?
Cheers
Stephen

Hi gyoung, I'm in a similar situation in not having the serial number written anywhere (installed previously and no paperwork). How did you finally locate your serial number for the upgrade form submission?
Cheers
Stephen
I would hope that the installation of your EchoUAT is documented in your airframe log, and if that's the case, seems to me a diligent A&P would put the serial number there. If not, maybe you could call him. Failing all of that, you might have to un-install it to find the serial number on the box.

Back