What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-390 EXP340 Installation Help

Sandrews

Well Known Member
I’m helping out on a 390 install in a rv8. Coming in new in the project. Does anyone have build pages outlining their 390 install?

- Wondering about location of oil cooler, routing of engine control cables. Airflow performance fuel injection is installed.
-How did you route the throttle and mixture cables?
- How about the air induction snorkel?
-Baffling adjustments to fit the stick vans cowl? Previous engine was IO360 so bottom cowl does not have the carbed air intake.

Thanks

I squeezed a 390 into my RV7. That's obviously not exactly the same thing, but you're welcome to look at my build log if it might be helpful.

Converting my flying 7A to a -390. I’d suggest you buy a full set of FWF -14 plans. That’ll be priceless answering your questions. They are really cheap in digital form.

I don't have the link to the Vans website but it shows the installation of the IO-390 to the RV14, and the routing of the various cables. I found the link by searching for how Vans mounted the Redcube totalizer.

I’m helping out on a 390 install in a rv8. Coming in new in the project. Does anyone have build pages outlining their 390 install?

- Wondering about location of oil cooler, routing of engine control cables. Airflow performance fuel injection is installed.
-How did you route the throttle and mixture cables?
- How about the air induction snorkel?
-Baffling adjustments to fit the stick vans cowl? Previous engine was IO360 so bottom cowl does not have the carbed air intake.

Thanks

Also, for much of the FWF, you can follow the build suggestions for the angle-valve IO-360. Except for governor location and engine control cables to the fuel servo, the two engines are very similar.

EXP in an RV-8

I'm about to go thru this now.

I've been ordering parts based on the RV-14 (non-EXP) FWF plans along with the updates from EXP FWF plans.

Cables will have to be remeasured (and custom ordered) for the quadrant, and there is a different throttle bracket that you'll need. Most of the install is designed for you.

The main issues I see for the RV-8 installation is deciding which exhaust system to use (they RV-8 cowl will not fit the RV-14 EXP exhaust without major rework), and I'm not sure the standard non-EXP exhaust will fit the EXP intake tubes (I could be wrong about that, but I think that's the case).

If there is a off the shelf exhaust that works for the EXP and the stock cowl, I'd like to know....Clint ????

The other issue is that the "clean" cowl (intake from the front left baffle) will interfere with the EXP snorkel, so modifications to the shape sensitive snorkel will have to be made. Or, you need to create your own ram air inlet system....Dan Horton did an awesome job on his RV-8, but it's a lot of work.

I'll update the post when I can find the thread on that (it's a fiberglass related thread).

I'm channeling Dan's musings that I saw in a thread somewhere, and going EXP, custom 4-1 exhaust (that fits the standard 8 cowl) and a composite prop to keep the CG closer to the middle of the range (I'm thinking Whirlwind 300). I think he thought about using a small engine mounted alternator as well but I got the EXP version without the vacuum pump mount (it's several pounds lighter) so I can't do that. I'll use an B&C 40 amp (I'm using a pretty simple power distribution system and simple(ish) panel, so I don't need a lot of redundancy)....and I'm looking to be as light as possible so I'm also using the SkyDesigns aluminum landing gear (awesome bit of kit there!).

I'm weighing the option of modifying the snorkel and testing with AirFlow Performance or copying Dan's ram air design (I enjoy fiberglass work....sick, I know) and probably get a boost in hp as well. Decisions, decisions.

Until I start the FWF installation, that's about what I've learned so far.

Laird
SoCal

Just received my baffling and mistakenly purchased the OP-62 plans. I thought those would include the baffling but they cover the FWF for the IO-390 on the -14. Vans price $52.50, I'll ship them out for $50 total. They are brand new. just realized my mistake when I opened the box.

The main issues I see for the RV-8 installation is deciding which exhaust system to use (they RV-8 cowl will not fit the RV-14 EXP exhaust without major rework), and I'm not sure the standard non-EXP exhaust will fit the EXP intake tubes (I could be wrong about that, but I think that's the case).

If there is a off the shelf exhaust that works for the EXP and the stock cowl, I'd like to know....Clint ????

The other issue is that the "clean" cowl (intake from the front left baffle) will interfere with the EXP snorkel, so modifications to the shape sensitive snorkel will have to be made. Or, you need to create your own ram air inlet system....Dan Horton did an awesome job on his RV-8, but it's a lot of work.

Laird
SoCal

I'm pretty sure the angle-valve IO-360 4-into-2 cross-over exhaust for the RV-8 will fit the IO-390. If not, someone please correct me.

As far as intakes go, just letting the cat out of the bag a little, but I am in the process of developing a ram-air inlet kinda similar to the Rod Bower inlet but not with reed valves. Two options for supplying air to the filter canister are:
1) a duct that goes up to the cooling air intake ramp in front of cyl. #2, or
2) a new annular bypass duct. This will be the hot set-up. I'll post some pictures when I have the prototype made. Unfortunately it does add about 1.5 inches to the length of the assembly. This will not be a problem if you have a long Showplanes or Sam James cowl, or if you are planning on just a round ram intake tube (like a Sam James intake). I Like a "smile" shaped inlet similar to what you typically see on F-1 Rockets, and similar to a P-51. But the transition from the 'smile' to round uses up some length, and getting the annular bypass duct in there is going to be tight. But I'm working on it.

As far as intakes go, just letting the cat out of the bag a little, but I am in the process of developing a ram-air inlet kinda similar to the Rod Bower inlet but not with reed valves. Two options for supplying air to the filter canister are:
Looking forward to it. It timing works out (not sure it will) I wouldn't mind beta testing, or being an early adopter. I enjoy one off glass work. Do it all the time at work. I need to look a little closer at the rocket smiley scoop w/ an S duct to the inlet.

Regards,

Laird

Update on progress:

At the recommendation of a great member here, went with a 13 row oil cooler and show planes mount. Had to trim to fit but worked great.

Throttle and mixture cables routed using the Vans WD 001100 bracket.

With the blessing of airflow performance the vans induction snorkel was trimmed to fit the bottom cowl.

RV14 baffling requires a lot of modification. Still working though this.

Latest challenge is the prop governor. Existing one from the io360 was overhauled but it turns out this one will not fit. Working through options to find correct governor.

Update on progress:

<snip>

With the blessing of airflow performance the vans induction snorkel was trimmed to fit the bottom cowl.

<snip>

Can you share what modifications you made, or what Airflow said? Inquiring minds want to know? ;)

Back