What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did you start flying?

At what age did you start logging time towards your first pilot license?

• < 16 (Will pump gas for stick time!)

Votes: 100 16.1%
  • 16 - 20 (Dating? When there's flying to be done?!)

Votes: 156 25.1%
  • 21 - 30 (Living on pizza, soda...and Avgas!)

Votes: 181 29.1%
  • 31 - 40 (First mortgage or first airplane....let's see...)

Votes: 103 16.6%
  • 41 - 50 (Kids College Fund or airplanes...Hmmmm)

Votes: 53 8.5%
  • 51 - 60 (I've waited long enough!)

Votes: 25 4.0%
  • 61 - 70 ("You better find something to do if you retire!!")

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • > 70 (Congratulations!!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was a real idiot when I was young (who wasn't). Both my parents got their ppl when I was 10 and I flew with them a lot. First P-51 ride was when I was 12. They started me on lessons when I was 15. At the time my dad had a Twin Comanche and mom had a Cherokee 140. I took two lessons and decided I would rather be surfing on Saturdays than taking stupid flying lessons. So instead of having all my ratings by the time I was 18 paid for by the parents I finally got my ppl when I was 25 paid by yours truly. Don

Always been around airplanes

I was an airforce brat, my father first was an refinisher for AVRO in England after he got out of the RAF, then joined the Canadian Air Force and we moved to Canada and a succession of bases in Canada and Europe. I can't remember not being around airplanes. My first flight was in a cub on floats near Belleville Ont, my brother and I under one belt in the back. I started flying at a club in Greenwood N.S. that was on the base there. I learned doing circuits in a 150,with the Argus, which was a large 4 radial engined maritime patrol bomber, and various other military aircraft. My first choice would have been these military aircraft, but poor eyesite kept me from that. I acquired my private and then left home to start a career in law enforcement and my first posting was no where near a suitable airport. After about 10 years I found myself in Yarmouth N.S. and one day saw a fellow doing circuits in a J3 at the airport across the street from my office. I went over and parked for a better look, in a police car, and the guy landed, thinking there was something wrong. After a chat he offered to take me up. The flight got me motivated to fly again. I learned tail draggers from Kevin Hortons father at that 800 foot, mowed 12 feet wide strip that he talked about in his post. One thing led to another and I started my 4 kit in 1986. I acquired a float endorsement from the uncle that Kevin spoke about and still have a soft spot for no electrics cubs. Best training a person could get, I flew my 4 with exactly 40 minutes in a 6, and never had a problem.

I have to say...that I would have enjoyed flying for a career, but it is the best hobby ever...I have met more good people and had some of the best adventures because of flying than I could ever have imagined. Great thread, I have enjoyed reading everyone posts.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ

Last edited:
What a neat and interesting thread

Mom always said my first word wasn't "mommy" or "daddy". It was airplane! As far back as I can remember I have always had my face pointed upwards whenever the sound of an airplane was heard. Sat at the end of the runway on Sundays wishing I could be up there. Got my first ride when I was 14. I flew control line and R/C all through my younger years. Always had some sort of airplane sitting around. Still do today. Started taking lessons at age 25 in April 1986 and paid for the first 20 hours up front at 24.00 per hour wet. Man were those the days! My first solo was at 5 hours and by the time I had used the paid time I had saved up enough for another 10 hours at 27.00 per hour. The last hours cost me 28.00! Obtained my Instrument rating in '88, bought my first plane, a Cherokee 140, in '89, sold it in 91 and stopped flying. The bug bit again in '98 when the local instructor called and wanted to trade a multi-engine rating for a computer. I sold computers at the time so we made that work and I became a twin driver. Bought my second plane, another Cherokee in 2002, sold it and bought a Warrior and now have an Arrow. During a R/C purchase in 2002, building a plane came up and before I knew what had happened, I had placed the order for the RV-8 info pack. Heck it was something I always siad I wanted to do anyway! One week later, the tail kit went on order and it's been a ride every since! Commercial ratings came in 2004, CFI in 2005 and working on the CFII now. Plan to get the ATP next year even though I'll never use it, it's something I want.

Looking back, isn't our freedom to fly just the best thing out there? People ask me all the time when the RV will fly.

I simply reply........on Thursday!

At the Fort Gordon flying club...

.....for GI's at Augusta, Georgia, 1967. The 150's went for $7.50 hr/wet and the instructors got $4.00/hr:eek: Remember, however, that I was taking home $135.00 a month.

This, after years of UC and RC flying competition.....also staring up at anything that flies (still). Yep, avgas in the blood:)

Regards,

Crazy about airplanes as long as I can remember, but I had this little eye problem corrected with surgery at age 2. The doctors of the day (1957) told my parents not to expect too much ("He may never be able to drive a car properly"), which of course was complete nonsense. Still, even in my mid-teens I knew military flying was out of the question, and since that was the dream, flying became a far back-burner item.

I was in my late 20's when I found out the "problem" was a complete non-issue for a PPL, and you didn't need anything but a PPL to be an airplane salesman. So, one afternoon I strolled into the FBO at Huntsville, found the office door marked "Sales", and cornered the poor soul within. Turned out be be Ralph Hood, a great guy and today a popular aviation speaker.

Well, Ralph tells me the FBO in Montgomery is looking for a trainee salesman to work into the business.....so I start working the phones. Got nowhere with the management staff, which wasn't a big surprise since I didn't have the first hour flying an airplane. Being a decent salesman (and a stubborn SOB), I went over their heads and managed to get an appointment with the CEO, Bob Hudgins. Mr. Hudgins owned the Piper distributorship and a few FBO's.

I guess I was having a good day, because 2 hours into the interview Mr. Hudgins says "I've been trying to turn pilots into salesmen for 20 years. I think I'll try to turn a salesman into a pilot".

I still love that man. You can't thank a guy enough when he takes a chance on you. RIP sir.

Worked the front desk to earn my keep, and had a PPL in 60 days. Then the fun began. Since I would be flying company airplanes, the entire pilot staff took turns with a friendly form of "special high intensity training" (consider the acronym). I got the right seat on the 135 trips ("shut up and keep your hands in your lap"), lots of avionics and maintenance check flights, ferry flights, and anything else that might put some experience in my bag before my luck ran out. The best were deadhead 135 trips (one way with pax) and freight runs; on those I could actually fly when the back was empty since all the pilots were CFI's. Did my first full IFR trip, complete with ILS to just above minimums, at 75 hours...in a Navajo.

Eventually I got to the sweet spot. One day Mr Hudgins called me to his office, handed me a briefcase full of Piper brochures, and told me to go beat the bushes. I was to alternate between a new Warrior and a new Archer, using them one day a week to visit every airport in our territory. My job, if you can call it that, was to fly from airport to airport, shoot the breeze with anybody breathing, and find out who might be learning to fly or otherwise might be interesting in a new Piper. I could keep all the single engine prospects. The multi-engine prospects I was to turn over to the FBO's senior salesperson, who had no interest in beating the bushes. I soon found out why; at the end of a summer day in the Deep South a guy in a business suit doing short hops from hot ramp to hotter ramp looked a lot like a used shop rag. Still, it was heaven. I met cropdusters, aviation characters, corporate pilots, and regular folks, saw every hidden hangar jewel, and I learned a lot about flying, mostly down low with a sectional on my knee.

The early 80's were tough times for GA. I sold some airplanes, but by '83 Piper was ditching the distributorship system and ours came to an end. I was the most junior guy on staff. Belt-tightening was enevitable, so I accepted an offer from a Honda dealer. But I was hooked and gravitated to the sport aviation side, and I doubt I'll ever quit. I'll always be just a PPL puke, but I don't care about that anymore; I can fly. What a country!

Last edited:
My first flight was one month before I was born. Mom was overdue and down about that, a friend of the family had a Ryan and took her up for some loops and rolls "to shake things loose".

Next flight came before age 10 in the same friends 182, a day I have never forgotten. Dad and I flew r/c for years, lots of good memories there. While in grad school I went to a social and during an auction I ended up getting an intro flight in a 152, I tried to drive the price up and no one outbid me........at $10.00! I did the intro flight, all the r/c stuff paid off, and I was hooked. That was 1978, had my ppl within a year. I flew til I ran out of money.

11 years later got the urge again, got current, bought an old supercub and flew that for 4 years, then acquired a C-180 and flew that for a couple years. Sold the planes to build a house, missed the planes and found a nice rv-6 and have had a blast with that. Worked on a 4 then an 8 and neither were completed (too busy, 4 was destroyed by movers hired to move my shop, lesson learned...move your own kit plane). Now I am switching to sport pilot, sold the 8 kit, and considering a 12. I have had a vans kit to work on, on and off, since 1992, I find myself missing that. Will need to sell the 6 to do a 12.

I have been flying on and off for 30 years, have just shy of 1000 hours, all VFR. I can't seem to get this out of my system! 2 years ago I talked both sons into taking ground school at the local comm college, I did it with them as a "brush up" for me as well, we all enjoyed it but they didn't get bit by the bug. Lots of good memories, and the most fun have been with the 6, the cub, and the 180, in that order. I almost pulled the trigger on the 12, but am probably going to sit tight to see how things shake out with the current economy. Michigan is on pretty shakey grounds right now.

Jim
rv-6

Lawton, Oklahoma

I learned to fly in Lawton, Oklahoma.

I became hooked on flying after my first airplane ride in 1966. I flew as a passenger from Indianapolis to Chicago to attend Navy Boot Camp, and flew a lot as a passenger during my military career. I got to fly a Navy E-2C from the right seat during a mission off the coast of Beirut, Lebanon in 1983.

I took my first "official" flight lesson in July 1995 at Lawton, Oklahoma. I completed my check ride and earned my ppl in September 1995 after 42 flight hours. I earned my instrument rating in 1997 in Enterprise, Alabama. Shortly after that I bought my first airplane, a Mooney M-20C, and have logged over 400 hours. I flew my Mooney from California to Texas; Florida to Michigan; and participated in the first Mooney Caravan to Oshkosh in 1997.

I no longer own the Mooney, and haven't flown for over 5 years. I lost my medical several years ago, and successfully earned it back this year. I originally planned to build either an RV-7A or 9A after taking an introductory RV building class in Danville, Indiana the year before I lost my medical. Now that I have my medical back, I've decided to build an RV-12 and become a Sport Pilot. I'm waiting until they get the bugs worked out of the first wave of kits/builds before I begin ordering big boxes filled with aluminum.

started flying at 17

I grew up in Ireland and was always fascinated by aeroplanes, did a summer stint in the reserves to make money two days back from camp rode bicycle to airfield 12 miles from home soloed before I could legally drive then school work and moving to USA when i was 24 got in the way of flying. A couple of years later with a business and a car I found Nassau Flyers on long island and proceeded to get my ppl took about 18 months flying once per week. I flew intermittently always keeping current as finances allowed. Broke my leg and managed to get my cast off on 85 th day two days later crutch in hand struggled into cherokee 140 and of all things left crosswind with suspect left leg. Time went by decided to build rv4 bought plans metal etc. a friend said on seeing me start i will buy 8a kit you help me and you can fly 8a until you complete your own. So six years later rv8a N33NC with io 360 c/s prop has been flying for one year 50 hrs I am building a scratch build Celerity but will build 8 of my own I would like to put that superior 400 with 10:1 pistons 250 hp lookout F1 drivers rv8 coming up.

cyril

I Met This Guy...

About 10 years ago, I met this guy. He took me for a ride in a Piper (Warrior - Cherokee - don't remember). He told me that some day he wanted to build an airplane. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I married him anyway. :D

The airplane construction started four years later. After quite a bit of gentle coaxing, I decided that if we were going to have an airplane I was going to know how to fly it. My legs were so wobbly after the first lesson it was a challenge just to get back to the FBO. I can be a stubborn lady, so it was back to the airport a few days later. First solo in 22C was just a few weeks ago. What a rush - just as good as the first one.

Now come to find out, it wasn't just one airplane but many. I might have to get my tailwheel endorsement, too?

I learned to fly at 45. I always had a facination with flying. I remember when I was a little guy, I was the one that got the heli rides and such. One time I went on a glider ride and said I wanted the special ride, went with my boy. He got sick, I was ok. I went on a demo many years ago in a Cessna and thought, gee this is boring, I think the only thing good about flying is taking off and landing. I couldn't afford it at the time. At 45 (I am now 51)my wife, knowing I still wanted to fly, set up for me to do a demo in a Cessna, this time at the big airport, I had a ball, I guess I was prime for it this time. I was hooked.

After starting my PPL, my wife found a little airplane for sale, a Kitfox, and I bought it. Sweet little plane, but had its difficulties. After getting my PPL and tail wheel indorsement, I was off and running, or flying. I wanted more out of the airplane so I took it into the shop and tore all the fabric off and modified the airplane to a speedster model, short wings, medium fabric, trim in the elevator, Grove gear. Wow! now I have something. FLew it another 3 years with 250hrs average a year.

Now the engine is tired. I ordered a complete firewall forward, 912uls for it, will be here in a couple weeks. I'm sure this is going to be way cool. I know the RV is going to be way cool also, but I don't think anything can replace my Kitty. LOW and SLOW is very fun in the right airplane.

So now I sit in my office waiting for parts for the Kitfox. I can't fly right now if I wanted to, the weather is real bad. Over 2 ft of snow on the ground and the hangar is snowed in. With ceilings under 300ft and vis at 1/4mile. But I'm smiling knowing that soon, I'll be back up there.

I think the funest time this last year I had flying was taking my nephew up. He is 6, he absolutely loved it. The doors on the kitfox are clear all the way down to the floor, so here he is sitting in the seat with his legs straight out and touching nothing, I had the stick out, he had the ears on, what a look, a smile that stretched from ear to ear. He was pointing out how small all the cars were and laughing. I kept him in the pattern and we did touch and goes the whole time. I even did a few touches on the sod. Made his day, well his year because he still talks about it. He lives in portland, so I'll have to get him up again this next year.

From my earliest memories a nickle was a balsa glider a dime was a rubber band wind up model. As a cub scout I sold Christmas cards out of the Boy's Life magazine to earn a Cox PT19 trainer. Through Jr High it was u-control. I worked in a hobby shop but never earned enough to get the radio control set. Too expensive, though the orthodontist' son got one from daddy, boy was I jealous.
Early twenties I converted a Datsun 260Z, as a side job, from auto trans to manual for some rich guy. Earned enough for my first RC radio. Dozens of planes and radios later. One of my RC buddies learned to fly and bought an old Cessna 182 he took me for a flight. Now I had to do it!
Unfortunately the wife was scared to death of the thought of me flying. Fortunately she found an old high school boyfriend and divorced me.
Wandered out to the airport the day we split up and got talked into taking a "Discovery Flight" Four months later on my ex's birthday I got my private.
Promised myself there would be a plane in my life before another woman. Bought a Mooney N231NH then married a wonderful woman. For 10 years I enjoyed that plane. I have been without wings now for over 5 years. We sold the plane for a real estate deal. After another real estate deal there is a plane sitting in a bank account. Decisions decisions.

New Forum Member...

Quickly, I just want to say what a great forum this is with such a wealth of informaiton and people willing to share their knowledge and experiences. You all know that this is a special community and that doesn't happen by accident, so BIG KUDOS to everyone involved!!

Back in 1975 when I lived in the Atlanta area (at age 21) my climbing buddy Louis and I purchased a "Ragollo" hang glider for $200. I had always wanted to fly but never had the resources or opportunity for traditional lessons so the Ragollo was appealing. It turned out that the wing area was marginal for my weight, which was a whopping 170 lbs back then, so Louis (145 lbs) did more flying. Around that time a fellow named John Arnold, who was a ppl SEL AND CFI glider, started taking lessons at the karate studio where I instructed (John passed away some years ago - RIP buddy!). John became a friend and Louis and I took him climbing on numerous occasions. John liked the Ragollo but kept trying to get us to take a glider ride at the local soaring center where he instructed (Williamson, GA). We resisted for a while becasue flying "real planes" - engine included or not - involved more doe-ray-me than we had available. When John fell on some hard times I offered to let him live in the karate studio in exchange for free instruction for Louis and I towards our glider rating. He agreed.

John was an excellent instructor and I completed my glider rating in 1976. I joined a soaring club to build time (Mid Georgia Soaring in Monroe, GA) as that was a lower cost way to "feed the beast" compared to renting from a commercial operator. In 1978 the wife and I moved to the Seattle area. I purchased my first sailplane (standard Cirrus) that year, and then in 1982 completed my SEL rating. I started working on my instrument rating but my business got a little slow during the recession and I had to stop flying SEL to contiune glider-driving. The second glider I owned (ASW 20A) was sacrificed on the alter of my divorce in 1992. I joined another soaring club but found that once you've owned a plane it is a lot less fulfilling to be shackled by the limitations in a club or rental environment. I had accumulated around 1500 hrs combined SEL/glider time by then, but my interests were redirected to business development, motorcycles and "other" non-flying activities (can you spell s-i-n-g-l-e-a-g-a-i-n). My last PIC flight was at the end of 1996.

In 2008 the flying bug reemerged big time, but all of my time and resources have been committed to a new start up venture so I've not yet had the opportunity to reconstitute my flying. Despite the unstable economic environment it looks like we will formally lauch in early 2009, which will free me up to get back into the air. I'm interested in acquiring a flying RV or Rocket (too busy to build for the foreseeable future) and have been researching relevant information, which is what led me to first find, then join, this excellent Forum.

Even in these uncertain times I am thankful for an abundance of blessings. I sincerely hope that everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Joyous Holiday Season!!

Last edited:
Flying Kids

Today I've been reading this thread as well as another regarding pics of kids working on or riding in -4s. It reminds me just how important it is to get the kids involved. If you haven't flown Young Eagles, give it a try. You'll likely find it to be one of the most rewarding experiences around. In fact, fly any kid you can get to climb in the cockpit.

Nearly all of the kids thoroughly enjoy and appreciate rides but occasionally you'll get one with a special gleam in the eye. Point them towards the EAA Air Academy summer camps. I was fortunate enough to be in the second Air Academy class in '85. It made for some of my most cherished teenage memories. Two weeks in Oshkosh leading into AirVenture, sharing the enthusiasm for aviation with other kids who "get it"...it truly doesn't get much better.

While my first ride was in a Baron at 2 weeks old, I really count my beginning at 5 years old when my Dad earned his Private license. We've spent countless hours flying together since. I got my Private as a senior in high school and during college continued to work lineservice while earning ratings. I moved on to teaching as a CFII, flying charter and air ambulance in King Airs. Now I manage a small town airport, fly a King Air for a local corporation, and still teach a little (sometimes you forget how lucky you are until you type it out!). Now one of my favorite things is to give my Dad his Flight Review every couple of years.

RV-ing....I bought a flying RV-4 about 5 years ago but had to sell it 2 years later during a slow financial time combined with the arrival of kid #2. Things have turned around nicely and just before Thanksgiving this year, my wife surprised me with the exact same -4 sporting a bow on it....Santa came early at our house! (Yes I know I'm a lucky SOB). I appreciate it more than ever this time around and now I have two kids to share it with!

Last edited:
Memories

I was 17, had just graduated from high school, and didn't know what I really wanted to do in life. I had two uncles who worked at a small airport called Moraine Air Park near Dayton, Ohio. One of them suggested I work there for the summer. What great memories...

My instruction that summer was given in Citabrias and Decathalons. My first solo was in the Citabria... I got my first taste of whiskey and women that summer... both, quite intoxicating...

Ahh memories!

Joe Graham - VAF#569
RV-7 N7MX (reserved)

We moved around a lot when I was a kid (2 kindergartens in LA and one in Indiana). One of those moves was to Wichita where my dad ended up working for Cessna, watching over the production of 150's and 17x's. Sky King would come in for his 'new' plane, Santa would arrive in his plane and every Christmas we'd drive by Mrs. Beech's house to marvel at the Christmas decorations.

Fast forward a few years the summer of high school graduation I started flight training at Moraine Air Park south of Dayton. Back then it was a grass strip, where Citabrias would slowly climb into the sky. Three sides of the runway were surrounded by levee & a river with a 'sea' plane base. The take off end had tall power lines, the river & 6 lanes of I75. On the approach end I was taught to aim the plane below the levee. Just as you crossed the river (close to the levee) there was a small waterfalls. The air currents would lift you up and sit you back down on the other side of the levee. I just thought that was the way it was done.

My first solo (of many over the years) was total surprise at how quickly things happened and how fast I climbed (no instructor in the back seat). I didn't really care about getting my license back then. It was just enough to go rent a plane and fly around by myself. Wow!

Over the years everytime I'd start to get my license something would get in the way of the dollars. I spent decades clawing my way to 100 + hours.

Eventually, I was able to get my license when I worked on a NASA project in Las Cruces, NM. I haven't been able to fly much since. I've still never been up in an RV. We started a 9 but moves and life have stalled that as well - for now.

Still my most fun flying experiences were those as a kid on a grass strip, strapped into a Citabria, throttle on the left side wall and stick in my right hand; slowly cruising the area over south Dayton and shooting down B-52's heading in and out of Wright-Pat.

Last edited:
I started in college as an AFROTC cadet--save up a few bucks, take a few lessons, quit, repeat. Got about 1/2 through the PPL. Graduated from college in '93 during a big pilot draw down in the air force so went active as an intelligence officer in May '94. Started flying again in '97 to become more competitive for an AF pilot slot and got my private license flying out of North Las Vegas airport. I wanted to have 100 hours before the next board and finished with 110 and about $3 left in my pocket--Lieutenants just don't make a lot of $$. The gamble worked and I was picked up in May '97 (found out on my birthday) with a class start date of the following April. The wing CC at the time said if there was an open seat, I could jump on--at Nellis AFB there are a lot of different airplanes and usually a few open seats, so I had a blast. Highlights were my first 1v1 gun defensive fight (head pinned to my chest most of the ride), sitting in the pit of a blue and grey F-16 aggressor during a Red Flag and a Canadian F-18 ride. As everyone does (or at least did at the time), I went to Brooks AFB in San Antonio on February 27, 1998 for the final physical where my AF flying dream died--Mitral Valve Prolapse.. Haven't flown since--Cesnas just haven't sparked the interest much. 10 years later my RV project in the garage is helping re-kindle the dream and in a way is an "if you won't let me fly yours, fine--I'll just build my own" statement.

No Matter How Long It Takes Don't Give Up

My father got his ppl in 1976 which lit the aviation fire in my soul at the age of 7. After many years of flying beside him, (mom was afraid to fly)one flight with my dad at the controls you would be afraid too...... Just Kidding! 1987 Joined the USAF was a Jet Engine Mechanic till 1993 Served Desert Storm. Married-Deviorced During that time. Still no money for lessons. 1995 I met a drop dead good looking blond 6 ft. tall. Little to my supprise she was a CFII. at the local airport... God was looking out for me that day.... A lesson Here and there.. I married her, she got on with a charter service then a Major Airline. 5 acres, New House, 2 Children, New Pool, Then a Captain at a Major Airline...... Lesson Here, Lesson There. Now! Finally! Now! I have money for Lessons (2008)
Remember Good Things Come To Thoughs Who Wait......
Sun And Fun Last Year She got me the RV8 emp. The last time I had that feeling my dad bought me my first RC Airplane Kit. Sun and Fun 2009 (Wing Kit) I Love That Women.... I wish she could get me in that Airbus 320 Simulator..... I guess I will have to wait for that too!

Rich

I always had the bug and grew up with a North American Yale in the back yard, but that's another story. Between the usual high school stuff, then college, I was finally able to start lessons while a 2nd Lt. Aircraft Maintenance Officer at Offutt AFB NE in 1987. I was fortunate enough to get a lead from the Deputy D.O. that there was an opening in a small club which owned a 7DC Champ at South Omaha, a 2000' grass strip, which is currently a sub-division. The Deputy-DO ended up being my CFI, but I had to finish up the PPL at the Aero Club as the Champ didn't have the radios to finish the PPL. Luckily, the Aero Club let me finish the license in their Citabria even though they generally had a rule that you had to be Private rated to fly it! There were a couple times where I remember sitting at the hammerhead, #1 for departure, with an E-4B right behind as #2. At the time I think we charged ourselves $19/ hr. wet for the Champ, which worked great for us poor 2LTs. Sure was a lot of fun though. As one of the older guys in the club told me, " you can get the wheels in the corn, but watch the beans, they'll suck you in"! 23 year-olds out on their own, a couple bucks, and a cheap Champ to fly, way too entertaining!:D

What a small world.....and my sad story..

I was 17, had just graduated from high school, and didn't know what I really wanted to do in life. I had two uncles who worked at a small airport called Moraine Air Park near Dayton, Ohio. One of them suggested I work there for the summer. What great memories...

SNIPPED

Ahh memories!

We moved around a lot when I was a kid (2 kindergartens in LA and one in Indiana). One of those moves was to Wichita where my dad ended up working for Cessna, watching over the production of 150's and 17x's. Sky King would come in for his 'new' plane, Santa would arrive in his plane and every Christmas we'd drive by Mrs. Beech's house to marvel at the Christmas decorations.

Fast forward a few years the summer of high school graduation I started flight training at Moraine Air Park south of Dayton. Back then it was a grass strip, where Citabrias would slowly climb into the sky. Three sides of the runway were surrounded by levee & a river with a 'sea' plane base. The take off end had tall power lines, the river & 6 lanes of I75. On the approach end I was taught to aim the plane below the levee. Just as you crossed the river (close to the levee) there was a small waterfalls. The air currents would lift you up and sit you back down on the other side of the levee. I just thought that was the way it was done.

SNIPPED

Still my most fun flying experiences were those as a kid on a grass strip, strapped into a Citabria, throttle on the left side wall and stick in my right hand; slowly cruising the area over south Dayton and shooting down B-52's heading in and out of Wright-Pat.

I did my first US flight at Moraine Air Park back in 2003 in a 172.

Sad long post read it with your own risk!

It sad that almost the reason that immigrate to the US is to got my Commercial and Instrument ratings and i was dreaming of that for years back to my Country.
Suddenly (i mean that) i found a job in the US in Restaurant/Entertainment Business and i jump on this like crazy. Imagine that the few thinks i knew about US were some popular/famous place like NYC, Miami, Las Vegas , LA etc.

So I found the Job and i had to move to Dayton OH.(my mind was thinking is Dayton(a), famous from Car & Moto Racing) but a little search show that is a couple of thousand miles away!!:eek:
Anyway, we jump into plane and there you go to Dayton Ohio.
And then i was SHOCKED!!!!
First i saw all Ohio car License plates "Birth Place of Aviation":confused:
After i found out that Wright Brothers make the first airplane
exactly 100 years ago (was 2003) in their small bicycle company in Dayton Ohio (All of us know that first flight took place in N. Carolina)

I felt i was Blessed. What a GOD'S sign!! Imagine that i was dreaming to come to US for Flight Training and by LUCK OR FATE or whatever you call it, i was landed without know it at Birth Place of Aviation exactly 100 years after first Flight.

But things are going south for me those last 5-6 years.
I went with all difficulties of a new guy in new land, immigration, language, etc, spend a lot of money, Restaurant closed after 8 months and lost job, i moved to Cincy, delivered pizza for 2 years, work construction here and there, moved to New York for a year, i came back , and finally i co-open a Restaurant in last 8 months, which is not going very well with this economy.

Now it's time to reconsider my American Aviation Dream and i may forced to go back to my Country and start again since i may not be able to make a living..... SAD icon here.

thanks for sharing

$4.00 an hour Wet!

I started logging time, in the Fall of 1972, while going to Sacramento City Collage to earn my A&P. $4.50 an hour for the airplane (Aronca Champ) (wet) and $6.00 an hour for the instructor, before advancing to the ?advanced? Cessna 150, getting my PPL in the spring of 1973. Somewhere along the line tacking on a Commercial, Instrument, and more recently a multi-engine. Back in the day, I bought a one tenth interest in a J-3, which we flew for $4.00 an hour wet! All rental prices were tach time, ah, the good old days!

When did you start flying

I got my first airplane ride from my uncle at Fla-bob airport, Riverside, CA back about 1949 (7th grade) in a J-3 Cub. I didn't realize at the time what a famous airport it would become..home of EAA chapter 1. This planted the seed. I started taking lessons in 1958 while in the Navy stationed aboard the USS Everglades at that time in Norfolk, VA. Airport was the Portsmouth airport. Six bucks an hour for the Cub and three more for the instructor. after about 20 hours under my belt (soloed in 4 hours), the ship went on a Med deployment and I didn't start taking lessons again until 1967 after I was married with a daughter in the hanger. Got my license at the Jonesboro airport (South of Atlanta and closed now) in 1968 and was in a partnership in a C-150 until moving to Naperville, Ill in 1970. Purchased a C-170B in 1970 at Sandwich, Ill...Still have that airplane. Finished an RV-6 in 2000 which I flew about 260 hrs before selling. Finished an RV-7 in 2005 and have flown it as of yesterday 500 hours. Wow, has it been fun. Have been to every state except three, most of the Canadian provinces and Alaska in the 170 and have not even kept track of the the ones in the RV, but its been a lot.. Ed Booth, SC

I started to do my own personal history here folks, after reading so many great ones, but I'll be damned if tears did not start after the first sentence.

Short and sweet: Dad flew, I fly, my son has the bug. Life is good!

I started flying when I was 13 in Indiana when I was there for summer vacation with my grandparents. He always had worked in the steel mill and never got to fulfill his "real" dream. I absolutely loved it, and hit the ground running.

I got my private my senior year of high school, then moved to Louisiana to go to college at Louisiana Tech. I got my flight instructor there when I was 19 and taught for the school for 2 more years, graduating in 3 years.

Now, 22 (almost 23 in 7 days), I have been working working for a regional airline for a year and a half. I am sitting in AUS tonight typing away on my computer. We came in 4 hours late due to snow in DSM and MSP but thats ok! I get to sleep for 6 hours now, and do it again tomorrow.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MES3629/history/20081220/2044Z/KMSP/KAUS

By the way, my wife and I cannot wait to start builing an RV. I thinking we are going to make the trek out to Oregon soon to make it happen (or start planning).

Last edited:
"insert standard little boy preface" my Uncle built and flew an EZ Rizer that I used to watch him fly over at a screaming (literally) 30mph. That is where my aviation fire was sparked. After a near fatal flat spin landing attempt in the EZ Rizer, aviation was quiet in our family for a little while. Then that same Uncle bought a Q2 partially complete and had it ready for paint before it ended up at a museum after learning about the ground looping "tendency". Cool airplane, but lack of differential breaking, landing gear 8' each side of the centerline, VW Beetle engine and no rudder authority below 35kts, was too risky. In 1996, he dove in and built a Long EZ which he flies today. After helping build the Long EZ the bug was firmly planted in me...I had to fly.

I decided that the Military was not for me, so after high school I went off to college and on 4/24/2000, I was a student pilot. My favorite Independence Day is 7/4/2000...the day I received my Private license. Now I have a partially built Cozy MKIV and I am contemplating which airplane to build whilst starting a family.

Following the dream

I remember always being attracted to airplanes beginning around kindergarten. I would hand fly model planes. One day a Champ 7Ac flew overhead. The pilot was looking down. I waved wildly, but got no response from the pilot except that he continued to look down at me? By the forth grade, I began building balsa models. Joined the CAP during High School and got my first ride in a C-172. Joined the Air Force after HS and learned to fly with our base Aero Club. The Champ 7Ec and 7Fc rented for $4.80 wet. Spent almost every last dime I had on renting Aero Club planes. Back in the States, our Aero Club T-34 rented for $8 wet, but my GI pay after taxes was only about $190 a month, so it?s relative. After discharge, got my Comm, Inst, and CFI-CFII on the GI Bill. Sprayed, instructed, towed gliders after that.

I started to fly

I was an Air Force brat, at the age of 12 a neighbor took me to the alert hanger at Larson AFB. The F-104 had electrical power on and lots of lights and bells. I sat in the seat.... I knew what I wanted to do. I took my first flying lesson at Clinton Aviation at Hyde Field Maryland in 1965 at the age of 14. As we moved I worked as a gas boy/ plane cleaner in exchange for my flying lessons. I soloed at the age of 16 in Great Falls Montana. By the time I was 17 I had 120 hours and took my private checkride on my birthday. The commerical, instructor, instrument and multi-engine by my 19th birthday. School, life and marriage all mixed in there some where. Now here I am some 43 years later, 28,000 hours and many type ratings later...Still looking forward to my next flight....:)

Les

Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far Away

I started flying at age 15 in 1975 at Lakeside (now I think it is West Houston, is Woody still there?) in Houston. Flew out of Andrau Airpark (Now I think it is gone), soloed at Sugarland. Flew also out of Hooks, took a lot of check rides (Private, CFI, CFII) with Andy Anderson. Great man who I think flew SBD?s off the Hornet in WWII. Flew out of La Porte (Cliff Hyde Flying Service) while attending San Jacinto Jr. College in 1978. Gail Steele was one of my class room instructors. Toughest, yet fair check ride, was with Maybelle Fletcher at Hobby for my Commercial Instrument C-172 and Commander R-112, lasted about 12 hours total, ground and air. Started Skydiving at 17 at a place north of Houston run by a jumper named John Burke. Jumped also at Spaceland a bit south of Ellington. Flying south of Spaceland one day almost got hit by an F-101 Voodoo. Lots of memories down in Houston, miss it, especially since it is -2 outside today up here in Ohio.

Tim
ATP-Helo, Comm-Inst MEL, SEL, CFII, CE-500
LCDR (Ret)
RV-8A
Fabricating the wings (FAA speak)
N308TF (Reserved)

My dad was always interested in airplanes. His father was a corporate pilot and a Major in WWII. One of these days I'll have to post the tales of my grandfather's life as a pilot... It is pretty amazing.

I know that at an early age my dad used to take me and my brother out to the local airports and we would wander around and check out all of the airplanes. This was back in the 60's when there were no fences or locked gates. I can remember going for a ride in a Cessna when I was probably 6 years old.

After completing college and grad school in 1987 I wanted to learn to fly. My dad finally was financially in a place to afford to buy an airplane. We had a Rockwell Commander 114 (bought it for $18000). I started ground school at Long Beach City College, and then started flying lessons at age 25. My first few lessons were out at Corona (where the 114 was hangered), but the long drive from Long Beach made getting lessons a weekend only deal and if the weather was bad, it dragged things out. I switched over to Eagle Aviation in Long Beach and did as much as the bank account could manage. I was engaged during flight training and finally got my license about 5 months after we were married. PP-SEL in March 1989.

I transitioned to the 114 and flew quite a bit for the next year, then we had our first kid (who is now in college). My dad sold the airplane when he started a new business. I was pretty busy with my new family and we went from 2 incomes to 1. Moved down to Ramona, CA in 1992 and now have 3 kids.

Fast forward about 17 years and I'm now getting prepared to get back into flying (and building). Building an airplane has been on my to-do list for the last 20 years. My monthly Sport Aviation magazine has been keeping the dream alive. I ran across this site and others and spent several months absorbing everything I could on the RV's. I think I spent over a month reading rvproject.com (thanks Dan for a great web site).

My oldest kid is currently taking all of my spare change in college tuition (and my college fund investments have taken a huge plunge), so I'll probably be lurking here off and on for the next couple of years before I pull the trigger and buy a kit. I've met a couple of RV builders in the area and got a ride in Bill Cary's RV-9A this year (definitely a highlight of this year).

Back to lurking, now that I've made my first posting here.

Bruce

I was lucky

I was lucky growing up, my mom was a flight instructor and I was receiving flight instruction as soon as I could reach the rudder pedals. My first three or four entries are from my mom, when I was 10 or 11 or so. I officially got my PPL when I was 20 in 1998. I kept on working on my ratings and finally got my ATP in 2007. Now I just need to build my RV and I'll be set!

gliders after college

After many teenage exposures to GA, gliders, balloons, the confluence of money and time occurred right after graduating from college and starting work. At age 23 I solo'ed a (SGS 2-33) glider in 8 hrs, private in something like 20 hrs. I bought a SGS 1-26 and started flying x.c. before I had my private.

I added SEL about 6 yrs later and bought a 7KCAB - sweet little plane.

Today my time is 1700 hrs in gliders, 200 hrs in SEL, 100 hrs tailwheel. The SEL time is going to build fast when the RV-8 is done!

I selected 31-40 because that's when I *really* started flying (got my license), but my father was a pilot and we used to go when I was a kid of around 12 or 13. Also had a neighbor who would take me up in his Bonanza and was going to give me lessons, but was sadly killed the summer of the year I turned 16. I didn't have much to do with flying through college and grad school and such, but always wanted to get my license, so after getting settled in in my first *real* job, I started lessons and have been enjoying it since!

Back