What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washington State Destinations

Okay, it's time to start setting up travel plans for the FOURTH (can you believe it?) season of Wings To Adventure. The third season begins airing June 26. We are finished shooting video for the third season, and we are hard into the editing process.

I'm looking at a Washington State trip in August. I'll be in Gig Harbor, at the Tacoma Narrows airport. We can fly out, and I'd like to hit Yakima to see Cub Crafters.

I'm looking for suggestions for aviation-related museums (the one at Paine Field is on the list), neat fly-in destinations, etc. They could be as far away as 200 miles.

These could also be companies making aviation stuff, $200 Hamburgers (gas prices, you know), people, planes, etc.

(If you don't know about WTA, try www.wingstoadventure.com)

Many thanks.

Tom

Washington

I would add Eastsound on Orcas. As kevinh said, Friday harbor is very nice and is on San Juan Islands. It has the biggest town and you can watch Ferry boat and sea plane activity from a restaurant near the harbor. Roach Harbor, also on San Juan Isl on the north end. Have not been there is year, but Roach Harbor has a very old historic hotel where Pres Teddy Roosevelt once stayed and has a nice little marina. All airports are with in a few minutes walk of town.
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/sanjuan/Islands-Map.htm

Aerial sight seeing of Cascade mountain range, Mt. Saint Helens, Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker are popular.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Range#High_Cascades

The Boeing Museum on KBFI is a must, but consider flying to KPAE, get a very short ride over to the adjecent Boeing Plant visitor center for tour. Was free but they may charge a few bucks now?

Aviation related museums
http://www.tillamookair.com/ ( a little run down but cool )
http://www.sprucegoose.org/ ( Near Van's )

Some of my favorite local airports (all w/ restaurants? they go out of business sometimes):
KAWO, Arlington
KPAE, Everett (Paine Fld)
S43, Snohomish (Harvey Fld)
KCLM, Port Angeles (Fairchild Int'l)
0S9, Port Townsen (Jefferson Co.)

Last edited:
Washington

I've got a few suggestions. My local field, Anacortes (74S), is known as the gateway to the beautiful San Juan Islands mentioned above. On the field is Microaerodynamics (www.microaero.com), manufacturer of vortex generator kits for a slew of certified as well as experimental (read RVs) aircraft. The local air taxi operator, San Juan Airlines used to operate the worlds shortest scheduled flight (maybe still does), something like 46 seconds, a mail run between two of the San Juan Islands.
Bellingham hosts the new Heritage Flight Museum (www.heritageflight.org), founded by our resident Apollo 8 astronaut, Major General Bill Anders.
Orcas Island hasn't been mentioned yet. It's also got a neat old hotel. The airport at Eastsound has a air tour operator flying a vintage Travelair biplane and hosts a fly-in every summer.
If you're not limited to U. S. destinations, the charming capital of British Columbia, Victoria, is just another few minutes flight time west of the San Juans. Just like taking a trip back to jolly old England. Double decker busses, flower pots hanging from the light posts, seaplanes in the harbor, and the ivy covered Empress Hotel. The airport in Sydney is just north of town.
And finally, don't miss the facility where they're restoring five Me-262s on your visit to Paine field in Everett. Check out http://stormbirds.com. Click on Me262 project.
Enjoy.

Doug in Anacortes

Rv-4, wings

seward747 said:
And finally, don't miss the facility where they're restoring five Me-262s

FWIW they aren't restoring 262's, they are midway through a production run of brand new ME262's! I drove by the hangar yesterday and saw 3 262 fuselages and other parts in the hangar. It's not a museum at all, it's a production facility.

If you are flying up from the south, make a stop at Scappose just north west of Portland. Cheap gas and the home of Oregon Aero and the composite place that usually has some very interesting project going on. I've seen the Javelin and Chanute over there.

If you stay out of the TFR often times you can see a nuculear sub over at Bangor to the west of Seattle. The base over there is pretty impressive. Sometimes you see the subs on the motoring around on the surface. If you keep your eyes peeled in the San Jaun's you'll see whales too.

chuck

Last edited:
Tom,
I haven't seen all the shows but have you visited Van's Aircraft yet? Quote "These could also be companies making aviation stuff, $200 Hamburgers (gas prices, you know), people, planes, etc." The home of the most popular, highest completion rate kit plane, etc.
Also in the area is the Tillamook airport with museum, home of the largest clear-span wood structure in the world (blimp hangar), and restaurant.
Steve

If you're looking for "neat fly-in destinations"...

Probably one of the neatest (and prettiest) airstrips is the Forest Service strip at Sullivan Lake in NE Washington. A Forest Service campground is right on the strip. Not sure if this would be for the average pilot who reads your magazine, though, because it's a relatively short strip, but it is neat.

We have not been to Van's, and the more I look at it, the more it seems that a full day there would be in order.

The fact that you can get demo rides (should I admit here I've never flown or been in an RV?) is a real bonus to the story of the company.

I'll give 'em a call.

Oh! I do have a segment on the Harmon Rocket coming up. It will air on July 5. We got some nice video of two Rockets in Sedona.

Tom Gresham said:
We have not been to Van's, and the more I look at it, the more it seems that a full day there would be in order.

The fact that you can get demo rides (should I admit here I've never flown or been in an RV?) is a real bonus to the story of the company.

I'll give 'em a call.

Oh! I do have a segment on the Harmon Rocket coming up. It will air on July 5. We got some nice video of two Rockets in Sedona.

Ah! Now that makes sense. I asked back on 05-24-2006, now that you and Walter are members here now, are we going to see more RV and less Bonanza on the show? I hope so, I mean the Bonanza is a great plane but, this is RV country! Yea, fly your Bonanza into Vans and then get a ride in the -10, that would be a great segment! :cool:

You asked for ideas. Not just in the region you asked about but... Well, I think a few of us would like to learn more about Jay Pratt's RV-Central, Steinair, Classic Aero, Mattituck ,Titan Kit Engines, Trio and Trutrac autopilots, any and all of the EFIS manufacturers, Kit plane insurance, Transition training, Toolkits for kit planes.

Jeez, I could fill up an entire season of Wings To Adventure with just the ads on this site alone.

A favorite of mine is Easton State, at Rimrock lake. A little tricky to get in out of at first, but a nice place to stop, dip your feet in the water and enjoy a sunset with a significant other. I used to work there at Cub Crafters, don't just go in the front door! You'll get stopped by the "lobby nazi". Best make an appointment first. my .02 for ya.

Have any locals checked out Stehekin (6S9)? I've heard that's a cool spot. Reachable only by plane or boat. I've heard it's a rough strip to get into and out of with high DA and high terrain all around.

Dave

Back