What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans saved me money today.

tomwebster

Well Known Member
I ordered a few small parts from Vans
late last night through the web.
I received a call from Vans today telling me
they could ship my small order cheaper.
I had selected UPS and was asked if I
would like to save some shipping costs by
switching to USPS.

It's nice to know that Vans is checking costs
and looking out for our interests.

Tom

Good for them, and you.

I think I remember one of the aircraft supply web sites having the shipping option of "best/cheapest" or something to that effect. Each time I order from Van's, I wish their site had the same. Maybe someday....

Speaking of vans parts department... ordered wednesday night, showed up this morning fedex. (friday) Granted I'm just on the other side of the mountains, but usually it takes two to three days for them to get it out the door. Happiness is airplane parts at the door. =)

fast parts

Well, I have another piece of ruined aluminum for the "wall of shame"

I cut a "perfect" hole for my map box exactly on the panel where it should be
for a slider canopy - only 1 problem - I have a tip up:(

So I ordered a new panel (mayber 3 days ago) and it showed up today.

Very good service from Vans.

Now if I could just quit make stupid mistakes!

Daver
finishing up a -9A fuselage

I ordered a few small parts from Vans
late last night through the web.
I received a call from Vans today telling me
they could ship my small order cheaper.
I had selected UPS and was asked if I
would like to save some shipping costs by
switching to USPS.

It's nice to know that Vans is checking costs
and looking out for our interests.

Tom

They did the same thing for me and I also thought it was very cool that they did so. She also said I could add a comment when I order on-line to use the cheapest delivery method.

I have found that when I ordered things UPS ground, it seemed to take Van's two days to even get the order shipped, at least according to their online records, and then about week to get the item. But, if I ordered Priority, even though I am in Florida, I would always get delivery in 2 or 3 days. For my last order, I was floored when I ordered it Monday and it was here Wednesday. It seems like if I order UPS ground, it takes them several days to pull the order but if I order Priority, they jump right on it and get it out that day. I don't know about cost differences, but they weren't much, so I always used USPS Priority for the smaller items.

My tip for minimizing finishing kit shipping is to order both it and the FWF kit at the same time. You save overall that way, and there are things in the FWF kit that are handy to have in advance. Always try to order heavy things when you order a kit, such as the heavy cans or proseal, the battery, etc.

Yeah, I've never understood why Van's wants ME to tell THEM what company to use for shipping. Like I know what's the cheapest or best?

And, to add insult to injury, they advise against using USPS and, if you ignore their warning, they advise you: "USPS (United States Postal Service) is available, but only at your own risk as there is no tracking available. Allow at least 6 weeks for delivery."

Sure makes me avoid USPS.

I've always just picked UPS and nobody's ever called me with advice to the contrary. And it always takes a long time ...

I have order vans seat for my RV-8, they cost USD300 but I paid anther USD400 in shipping by bax global air to Chile, then Chilean Custom said you have to paid a custom agent to do the paperwork because the amount of package is more than USD500 so he charge me another USD100. Chilean import taxes is 19% plus 6% of the complete amount paid for the parts including what they think you paid for insurance. So price for my vans seat are:

Seat USD300
Shipping USD400
Custom Agent USD100
Custom Taxes another USD 300

So just the foam cost me USD1100 then I went to the best place in Chile and ask them to put leather on my seat, I didnt ask how much that will cost because now I think is not important, I have paid already so much for that seats that I want them beatifull.

Imagine folks how much money I have spend in taxes and shipping for my lovely RV-8 project. Now I am on finish kit, I have bought everything including engine and prop. Last thing I have to buy is avionic and I am thinking the cheapest way is going to be, buy an air ticket to USA buy everything and bring it on a suitcase.

happy flying and or building to all you

and of course Marry Christmas

I don't know if Van's will do this, but try Freightquote.com. We have used them to ship ultrasonic welders all over the USA and to England as well. They save us on average 35% and sometimes more. They give you a list of reputable and well known trucking companies to choose from and the price to ship as well, for each listed company. For example; ship 250lbs to Florida by UPS freight $216, Dayton Freight $120, you choose.
Phone # 800-323-5441 ask for Rich Sirna x1617. Tell him Ivan from BYM Electronics recommended them.

It's in Vans best intrest to save you money on shipping and for that matter any way they can. This post proves what I say.

hand carry it

... Last thing I have to buy is avionic and I am thinking the cheapest way is going to be, buy an air ticket to USA buy everything and bring it on a suitcase....
Yes, I have found that flying to Sun N Fun or Oshkosh can usually be paid for by eliminating the shipping costs of the stuff I buy there. I used to get 2x70 lb bags for international, but now they've reduced it to 2x50 lb bags. Last time I was in the US I brought the wife and kids, and saved a lot of money! :)

You may also try to find a buddy in the US to repackage the stuff and send it USPS. It's much cheaper, and for me it has been extremely reliable. I have not yet lost a package with USPS (knock on wood).

US Postal Service

Don't be surprised when it takes two weeks to deliver, or you never get it, and you can't track it. In my neck of the woods the US Postal service is getting worse every year.

Quote from my postmaster after having delivery problems: "You should pick up the mail at the post office instead of having it delivered, you have a better chance of getting it. You should consider it a privilege to have mail delivered to your mailbox".

Back