What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's 35 amp regulator

DickDe

Well Known Member
My Van's 35 amp adjustable voltage regulator part number ES M5-150A appears to be failing at 300 hours. Van's no longer stocks this 35 amp regulator and advised trying an auto parts store. An internet search showed the unit is actively being produced under the name Transpo p/n M5-150A as well as Motorola and a few other names. I am really satisfied to date with the Honda alternator and do not feel the need to upgrade to the 60 amp most are installing today even considering I fly all year around in Minnesota which means some near zero temperatures. It has performed well. Where is a good reasonable retail source for this item? Any experience out there?

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 300 hrs
RV8 Wings almost complete
Northfield, MN

My Van's 35 amp adjustable voltage regulator part number ES M5-150A appears to be failing at 300 hours. Van's no longer stocks this 35 amp regulator and advised trying an auto parts store. An internet search showed the unit is actively being produced under the name Transpo p/n M5-150A as well as Motorola and a few other names. I am really satisfied to date with the Honda alternator and do not feel the need to upgrade to the 60 amp most are installing today even considering I fly all year around in Minnesota which means some near zero temperatures. It has performed well. Where is a good reasonable retail source for this item? Any experience out there?

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 300 hrs
RV8 Wings almost complete
Northfield, MN

Walk into your nearest auto parts store and tell them you want a regulator for a 1975 Ford LTD. After plunking down $10-12 you will have a regulator that will give you years of good service with the Honda alternator. Mine has been flying for nine years and 880 hrs.

NAPA Regulator

Thanks Sam. Now that you mention the 1975 LTD, I remember that from years ago but obviously I had forgotten. NAPA Online has the 35 amp regulator P/N MPEVR440SB for $14.69 and it seems to fit most all Fords that year. That is a real good price as Van's currant unit was $40 in the 2006 catalog (only issue handy). Thanks again.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 300 Flight hours
RV8 Finishing wings, Fuselage kit on hand.
Northfield, MN

Thanks Sam. Now that you mention the 1975 LTD, I remember that from years ago but obviously I had forgotten. NAPA Online has the 35 amp regulator P/N MPEVR440SB for $14.69 and it seems to fit most all Fords that year. That is a real good price as Van's currant unit was $40 in the 2006 catalog (only issue handy). Thanks again.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD 300 Flight hours
RV8 Finishing wings, Fuselage kit on hand.
Northfield, MN

Dick, the number Nuckolls used in his book was VR166, but I wasn't able to find that exact number. It seems mid-70's Ford will work fine regardless of the part number.

similar issue

I am having a similar issue on my RV-6A. Thanks for the cross reference to the honda civic for the alternator. The local Kragen checked it out and the alternator is good. The battery appears to be good, but is not getting charged. I would think that it is the voltage regulator, but I didn't find a similar replacement. Mine only has a field connection on the front and has one permanent wire on the back that goes through the firewall. I don't know if I can adapt the one from an LTD, or other suggestions are welcome. The only part number I can find is either 0691 6000 or 0009 1690

I am having a similar issue on my RV-6A. Thanks for the cross reference to the honda civic for the alternator. The local Kragen checked it out and the alternator is good. The battery appears to be good, but is not getting charged. I would think that it is the voltage regulator, but I didn't find a similar replacement. Mine only has a field connection on the front and has one permanent wire on the back that goes through the firewall. I don't know if I can adapt the one from an LTD, or other suggestions are welcome. The only part number I can find is either 0691 6000 or 0009 1690

Here are the connections for the 1975 Ford regulator:

"I" is not used
"A" goes to "S"
"S" goes to aircraft bus (12v)
"F" goes to alternator field

Be sure the case is electrically grounded.

Sounds like it will be a simple retrofit for you.

You're the man

Sam,

Thanks so much for all the useful information. I will wire that up. I started to buy one last night, but it had no information in the box as to which one was which.

Thanks for all the above posts but my problem of fluctuating voltage wasn't really severe yet so I took some time to check my options out. The 1975 Ford regulator would probably work fine functionally but it was not what I had bought from Van's when I initially built the electrical system. I would have to build new mounts which is simple enough to do but the adjustable voltage regulator I had would just bolt in. Auto parts stores just couldn't come up with a cross reference P/N for a Transpo M5-150A. This is a manufacturers P/N which is sold under many different names including Motorola and Prestolite brands with different P/Ns. I do believe they have it but but do not have the part cross reference needed to find it. I stopped at an local industrial electrical repair shop that is heavy into nonautomotive repairs and they found me one in minutes under a Wilson name which is an exact replacement for $21. I have not flown with it yet due to weather but I did a power runup and volts are right on 14.2 steady. Hopefully, it's fixed.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
300 hours
Northfield, MN

No Joy

Well after checking the battery, alternator, and replacing the voltage regulator, it is still not charging. I pulled it out and started the engine. It read 12.3 volts, turn on the landing lights and it drops to 12.0 or 11.9, turn on the nav lights and it drops to 11.8. So I'm sure it is not charging. Not sure what to check next. I did do a continuity check on the breaker and it is not open.

Joy less

You said that the battery, alternator, and regulator were checked. But you didn't say any thing about the number 1 cause of no charge (bad or loose drive belt). When the alternator is charging voltage jumps up to 14.5 - 15.0 volts. An easy way to check the drive belt is too put a torque wrench (ft. lb) on the alternator and check it. If the belt is good or not loose it takes about 15 ft lbs.

You said that the battery, alternator, and regulator were checked. But you didn't say any thing about the number 1 cause of no charge (bad or loose drive belt). When the alternator is charging voltage jumps up to 14.5 - 15.0 volts. An easy way to check the drive belt is too put a torque wrench (ft. lb) on the alternator and check it. If the belt is good or not loose it takes about 15 ft lbs.

Hey Lee, I think you are referring to the Lycoming Service Bulletin on fan belt tension. The actual info is:

Lycoming SI 1129A Accessory Drive Belt Tension

New 3/8? 11-13 ft/lbs 132-156 in/lbs used 3/8? 7-9 ft/lbs 84-108 in/lbs

New ?? 13-15 ft/lbs 156-180 in/lbs used ?? 9-11 ft/lbs 108-132in/lbs

Vern

alternators

I'm jumping in here late but I checked my alternator by disconnecting the
field wire from the regulator and put a long alligator jumper wire from it back into the cabin. I have a cig. lighter socket and I put leads on power plug that goes into the socket so I have a 12V source in the cockpit. I then started up the engine and turned on the alternator switch and connected the jumper lead to the 12 volts from the cig. socket. This full fields the alternator for full output and you should see about 15 volts output on your V/A meter.

Bill
RV-4
Angwin CA

Back