What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two-way push-to-talk?

RISCfuture

I'm New Here
Has anyone here set up a two-way push-to-talk button, similar to the way it's done on military aircraft? (e.g., up for COMM1, down for COMM2) I do a lot of formation flying and having the ability to talk on two separate radios without taking my hands off the stick is important.

I purchased a Tosten grip and I'd love to know if there's a way to wire two buttons to act as two separate PTTs. Does the GMA 245 support that, or do I have to wire each button directly to each comm radio (GTN 750 and GTR 200)? If the GMA 245 supports it, does it support separate PTTs for COMM1/COMM2 radio, selected/other radio, or both?

Tim Morgan
2003 RV7, N710VE

If you have a COM which supports monitoring a second frequency, you can put a freq toggle button on the stick. In monitor mode you'll hear both frequencies, and the currently selected active frequency gets the mic.

- mark

Typically the PPT switch grounds the radio PPT line.

So a On(m)-Off-ON(m) switch should work fire. Center pin to ground, Outer pins to each transmitter PPT line. (m) means momentary: when you release the switch it returns to center (Off) position.

Edit: Reread your post. You want a switch to select which transmitter your PPT switch activates? No problem. The non-ground wire from your PPT switch to center terminal of an On-On (Single-Pole Double Throw SPDT) switch. The outer terminals of the SPDT to respective transmitter PPT lines.

Finn

Last edited:
Much of my flying is in formation and here's how I skinned the cat:
I have no electric aileron trim. So, my Trim Left and Trim Right switches on the stick are as follows: Trim Left=Remote Flip Flop on radio #1
Trim Right=Remote Comm swap from one radio to the other
It's not a single switch solution since I have to key the PTT after I swap com radios, but it's quite functional. The remote comm swap feature is through the Garmin audio panel.

If you want one switch to push-comm1 and pull-comm2, try the attached wiring diag. This uses a DPDT relay to swap the TX grd AND the Mic output from Comm1 to Comm2 (defaults with power off to Comm1). You have to have both radios on receive and do NOT mute Comm 2 if Comm1 receives...just let your 3d audio sort out which one is which. The PTT is a DPDT toggle /centre off. You can do the same with 2 buttons on the stick ...just need 2x DPDT relays. Oh ...and you need a Garmin intercom panel GMA245 or similar

Attachments

• 2-comm-1sw.JPG
    2-comm-1sw.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
If you want one switch to push-comm1 and pull-comm2, try the attached wiring diag. This uses a DPDT relay to swap the TX grd AND the Mic output from Comm1 to Comm2 (defaults with power off to Comm1). You have to have both radios on receive and do NOT mute Comm 2 if Comm1 receives...just let your 3d audio sort out which one is which. The PTT is a DPDT toggle /centre off. You can do the same with 2 buttons on the stick ...just need 2x DPDT relays. Oh ...and you need a Garmin intercom panel GMA245 or similar

Why make it so complex?

You just need a SPDT toggle / centre off to ground PPT lines to Comm1 and Comm2.

Finn

I use my stick with PMA450

I used one of the switches on my stick grip to control the remote swap on PMA450 audio panel. That panel also had the ability to put one radio in one ear and the other in the opposite ear. Perfect for formation to talk to the flight and ATC or airboss with literally the punch of my thumb.

N8JL Schematics 042023-3.jpg

I also have one wired on my throttle quadrant to use at other times. It’s the black button below the throttle.

N8JL Quadrant.jpg

Last edited:
Why make it so complex?

You just need a SPDT toggle / centre off to ground PPT lines to Comm1 and Comm2.

Finn

It seems like in order for this to work, the mic output would have to be wired into both radios directly. If you have an audio panel and the mic output goes to the audio panel, then you would have to select comm#1 or comm#2 to be the active radio, so that the mic output would go to the radio you want, right? (which I think is why the circuit described above would be needed)

Will an audio panel allow you to select both radios, so that both radios would get the mic output? (I'm not that familiar with audio panels). If so, then yes, its just a matter of triggering the PTT on the one you want to talk on.

Has anyone here set up a two-way push-to-talk button, similar to the way it's done on military aircraft? (e.g., up for COMM1, down for COMM2) I do a lot of formation flying and having the ability to talk on two separate radios without taking my hands off the stick is important.

I purchased a Tosten grip and I'd love to know if there's a way to wire two buttons to act as two separate PTTs. Does the GMA 245 support that, or do I have to wire each button directly to each comm radio (GTN 750 and GTR 200)? If the GMA 245 supports it, does it support separate PTTs for COMM1/COMM2 radio, selected/other radio, or both?

Tim Morgan
2003 RV7, N710VE
Tim,

Did you ever come up with a solution to your problem? I have been searching for answers to this same question. I remember talking to a Garmin rep at Oshkosh last year, and they said they had a solution. But I was never provided with the full explanation of how to make it work. I would like this same functionality as I build my panel. Maybe someone from @g3xpert can chime in??

IMG_1249.jpegHas anyone here set up a two-way push-to-talk button, similar to the way it's done on military aircraft? (e.g., up for COMM1, down for COMM2) I do a lot of formation flying and having the ability to talk on two separate radios without taking my hands off the stick is important.

Tim Morgan
2003 RV7, N710VE
You might want to contact Paul and look into a throttle grip he makes for this purpose

Back