What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time difference between RV10 QB vs SB for wings and fuselage

Sallcock

Hello all

All - I am thinking of changing my RV 10 wing and fuse QB to a SB to save money with the new price hike from Van's Aircraft - I don't know if they will allow this but if they do it will save me approx. $26k - my question to any of you who may know - how much time (roughly) extra does it take to build the slow build versus the quick build - I know this is a variable answer request but I was curious before I ask Van's Aircraft

Cheers

:)

6-18 months I know that’s a big difference but it depends on you, my brother and I built the 2nd emp kit less then 3 months.

Hello all

All - I am thinking of changing my RV 10 wing and fuse QB to a SB to save money with the new price hike from Van's Aircraft - I don't know if they will allow this but if they do it will save me approx. $26k - my question to any of you who may know - how much time (roughly) extra does it take to build the slow build versus the quick build - I know this is a variable answer request but I was curious before I ask Van's Aircraft

Cheers

I've ordered RV14A QB wings and fuselage and am going through the same thought process. I did send an email to Vans asking if that would be possible, but haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
Time

Three of us built a 10 slow build in 15 months. We worked 7 days a week and 8 hrs a day. All involved were repeat offenders so that helped.

I have done both QB and SB on a RV14A which is very similar to a 10. Based on my work habit and pace, it is roughly about 5 more weeks of work for each kit. This included priming every part with Akzo epoxy primer.

I hope this is of any help.

For me, I’d say about 6 months. Although I averaged 35 hrs/week I’d rate myself as a very slow builder.

Hello all

Cheers

Back in 2016, Allen Nelson at Synergy Air - Eugene and I (a new builder) built a slow build RV-10 fuselage to QB level in 3 1/2 weeks. That included a big do-over for the WD-1002 & 1003 firewall brackets. The kit had already been primed and skins deburred when we started. We did the wings SB to QB in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Back in 2016, Allen Nelson at Synergy Air - Eugene and I (a new builder) built a slow build RV-10 fuselage to QB level in 3 1/2 weeks. That included a big do-over for the WD-1002 & 1003 firewall brackets. The kit had already been primed and skins deburred when we started. We did the wings SB to QB in 3 weeks.

Very impressive - Thats amazing

So it sounds like doing it slowly is actually ok - ie buying the SB rather than the QB - lots of people seem to have preferred it that way over quick - good to know

Thanks all

Back