What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.17.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

Work continues getting the ads squared away, and other things dialed in. A lot of moving parts. Thanks for your patience and have a nice Wednesday.
v/r,dr

IN THIS EDITION:
-----------------
Today's 'Daily RV' Selected Pic:
Larry Vandeventer
RV6A - N167AM
Charlotte, NC
N167AM in hangar.jpg

Static Line Routing ...bjdecker
Here's how I did the routing on my -7's. Port direct to tube, tube into press-to-connect "Union Y" fitting, thence down along the longeron (-7).
IMG_4598.jpeg
Wow, it easy to upload photos now! Just another example from my -10.
1705424284820.png

Burping vs Purging ...Fisherpd in -12 section
Burping is the daily procedure you do prior to checking the oil level to return all the oil to the tank. Purging is a maintenance procedure you do after opening the oil system (remove hoses etc) to remove all the air from the oil system prior to starting.
For burping, most folks check the oil level first, if it is above the minimum mark - go fly. if not rotate the prop to pump oil to the tank until you here a "gurgle", re-check the oil level & add if required.
Purging involves removing spark plugs and oil return lines, spinning the engine by hand to spin the oil pump and force oil in and air out of the system, then removing the valve covers to verify that the hydraulic lifters are "hard" & contain no air. See the Rotax documentation for the full details.

DanH's Tug ....revisiting.
Absolutely the best thing I built last year. Maybe a little over the top...fingertip joystick control and a regenerative motor controller. I have components for a couple more. Anybody want one?
Towbot II.jpg

Houston area monthly lunch (January 2023)
Folks, it's that time again. Once we finish thawing ourselves out in a few days, let's get together for some seafood, since the weather is looking decent so far.
When: Saturday, 12-20, 11:30 AM
Where: Runway Cafe at Lake Jackson (KLBX)
I'll be doing my usual thing and flying an Archer out of TME if anyone's looking for a ride.

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 72 Jan. 16.jpg

Back