What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.24.2024. Cracked a molar. Yuck.

Cracked my first molar Monday - upper jaw, second molar, left side. Maybe a fourth of the tooth missing - enamel and possibly a little dentine. I was enjoying a lovely Margarita and green chili shredded chicken taco from Torchy’s a few hours after my bride got her foot cast off (46 days on). I was a child of the cereal sugar wars in the 70’s and had about 12 fillings by age 10. I guess (age 58) it’s finally time for a structural failures and overhauls. <g>. It was a good run. I have an appointment soon to assess. No pain yet….. until I get the bill😏. v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

What did you do with your RV this past weekend? (4/20-21/2024).
https://vansairforce.net/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-rv-this-weekend-4-20-21-2024.226242/
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.08.29 PM.png

Removing Audio Hissing / Audio Switch …AZSteve053 PIREP
The TCVR-2 Panel Dimmer DOES get heat sunk to mounting surface - see attached install pictures. Your plane makes a GREAT heatsink with no extra weight.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.09.21 PM.png

Fuel tank and Fuel line questions …rvbuilder2002 reply
Just for clarification…
The RV – 12iS maintenance manual has never prescribed removing the fuel tank during the condition inspection.
The issue was that you had to 100% drain the tank to remove the pick up screen and inspect it.

With the SL 70 modification, draining the tank is no longer necessary as long as you have access to an inspection camera that can be inserted through the hole in the flange on the top of the tank, once the plug is removed.

Oil cooler optimization…YellerDaisy reply
Yep, some improvements can be made to your setup. <g>

I previously had an O-320 in my RV-4 and always fought high oil temperature. I had the old style cooler on the baffles and later moved it off the baffles and added an expanding duct. It didn't make much difference. When I installed the O-360, I purchased a new 10-row cooler and 3D printed a duct. The location of the cooler and shape of the duct is certainly not ideal but we work with what we've got. The duct has internal vanes to assist the air with making turns that it doesn't want to make. The result is oil temperature than very rarely moves off of 180-185 degrees. The success may have more to do with the different engine that the new oil cooler and/or my printed duct, I don't know. I just know I'm satisfied.

The PA6-GF30 filament (30% glass fiber reinforced Nylon 6 Copolymer) is holding up very well and has about 140 hours of time on it.

These are early 'during design & installation' photos. Oh... I should note that I was learning 3D modeling and had great difficulty getting the software to do what I had in my head. Someone that knows what they are doing could probably model a much better solution.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.13.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 6.13.17 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Would've been the best movie ever…
IMG_9706.JPEG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Brace for impact!! My wife cracked a molar last year. Tooth removal, bone graft, screw implant, now waiting on the crown. It's about a one year process. Big $$$$, pain involved. Sorry for you ☹️

Brace for impact!! My wife cracked a molar last year. Tooth removal, bone graft, screw implant, now waiting on the crown. It's about a one year process. Big $$$$, pain involved. Sorry for you ☹️
I got lucky. Saw the dentist this morning and he said there was enough tooth left where he could put on a crown. Put in a temporary putty like thing which hardened in 30 minutes and then fell into my cheese enchilada four hours later :)

I got lucky. Saw the dentist this morning and he said there was enough tooth left where he could put on a crown. Put in a temporary putty like thing which hardened in 30 minutes and then fell into my cheese enchilada four hours later :)
Find a dentist that uses the CEREC system, 3D milled Zirconia crown while you wait. No temporaries anymore.

It sucks, getting old. A couple of crowns, then an implant or two, then a knee scope, then a total joint replacement….it starts coming fast!

Back