What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The silence is deafening!

SonexGuy

No information about the current Chapter 11 status, and the status of open orders, has been offered since December. The silence is deafening. I'd really like to know how the reorganization is going, and when I might hear about my RV-7 fuselage order placed nearly 2 years ago. Have others been informed of their tail, wing or fuselage kit order status in the last couple of months?

I received my -10 fuse Friday that I ordered sometime in '22. Been long enough ago I can't remember when. Things are moving again at the mothership, but I'm guessing a pretty big backlog was built up to work through.

If you tuned into the meetings in January you would have heard their current status with regards to the number of re-orders they needed to comfortably predict a successful outcome from chapter 11. They were projecting that they were expecting approx 68% of re-orders which was right along with what they needed for a very likely positive outcome.

Aside from that, not much information to give other than what the new pricing is going to be. Won’t know for at least a few days after today how many people ended up filing claims.

For those of us with engine orders, won’t know till Lycoming starts saying something.

Have others been informed of their tail, wing or fuselage kit order status in the last couple of months?
Several people here on the forum have received kits recently- including me. Vans is shipping kits, backorders, parts and laser cut replacement parts.

I have a 14A finish kit in transit, but much to my disappointment, it has no LCP replacements packed with it. I have three kits with LCP. I was hoping for some parts. Now it seems even more distant. Having something already being shipped I thought would be a good forcing factor to get parts. 😞 I suspect this means they are running out of parts, or reached a point where they want parts for new purchases, and have to hold off for LCP replacements. So it's a good news, bad new situation. They are shipping kits, but assuming they keep moving forward, it is going to take time to service all the folks like me.

I placed an order in the store on Friday afternoon and got notice Monday that it had shipped already. Kits are shipping. LCP orders are in and being shipped. My finish kit will be here tomorrow with some LCP replacement parts. Wish they were all there but it is what it is. At least I can get some deburring out of the way. Things going in a positive direction I think. Not where we want, but headed there.

Glad to hear others are seeing parts and kits, still waiting on my email for LCP. Also waiting on status of QB wing and fuselage orders after I agreed to new pricing on RV10 build. It would be nice to know where I stand in the que. The not knowing if I will receive my email today or maybe later this week, or maybe next week, or maybe a month form now is frustrating. My only saving grace is that I am a repeat offender and am enjoying my 9a.

If you tuned into the meetings in January you would have heard their current status with regards to the number of re-orders they needed to comfortably predict a successful outcome from chapter 11. They were projecting that they were expecting approx 68% of re-orders which was right along with what they needed for a very likely positive outcome.
I would be extremely interested to know the breakdown of those re-orders.

Ie, how many were QB Wings where you had a tail & Fuselage kit already done, or finish kits where you had the wings and fuselage already built? Ie, people who essentially had no choice but to stump up the extra $$.

Yes, I know all the arguments about offsetting it with a used engine, etc, I'm not going to go into that, but I'd just like to know the numbers of these 're-orders' by kit type.

I placed an RV7 finish kit order in 2022; it was supposed to ship at the end of 23 last I heard pre-bankruptcy. I've modified my contract but have not been provided a potential date of shipping or even what my place in line may be. The entire process is VERY frustrating, especially since I need to have a flying airplane this year. Due to the uncertainty, I'm shopping for airplane when Van's could just communicate. Bad news would be better than this.

My intent had been to start an RV-10 in late 2025 because that is what my wife would prefer to fly in... at this point, I'm not sure she would let me build another Van's airplane.

Vans closed for an afternoon last week for an employees meeting. I will admit it gave me some anxiety at the time because every other time they shut down for such a meeting it was bad news. Did anyone hear what that was about?

Down side is Van’s said it would take them mst of a year to get caught up on LCP replacements. Upside is they seem to be making progress. I agree that more communication would be better, I would also bet they are really trying to not make promises (projections) they can’t keep.

Is there any method to the LCP replacement email? My -14 tail kit was delivered December’22 and no follow up on replacement parts yet

Is there any method to the LCP replacement email? My -14 tail kit was delivered December’22 and no follow up on replacement parts yet
My best guess is near when they think they can ship the replacements. I got mine just before I was asked for final payment on my fuselage kit.

Take the initiative and contact them.

I had an excel spreadsheet with every LCP part (and quantity) that I needed from Vans, all red and yellow. I had already purchased the blue myself. I had not received any email from Vans concerning those replacements - but I sent them one with my list and told them this is my complete verified list of items I need to replace all my LCP's. My parts were in the mail two days later.

Don't just sit there and whine about it and wait for something to happen. Pursue it, make it happen.

Reactions: bhp
I ordered my RV-10 wing kit May 6, 2022.
My wing kit was received with some LCP parts on March 6, 2023 (10-months)
I made an excel spreadsheet for LCP parts needing replacement as I have some RED listed items that are not LCP produced. (Vans blue vinyl covering)
I received the LCP replacement email on Feb-6, 2024 and sent in my list of replacement parts on 9 Feb, 2024.

Vans closed for an afternoon last week for an employees meeting. I will admit it gave me some anxiety at the time because every other time they shut down for such a meeting it was bad news. Did anyone hear what that was about?

Down side is Van’s said it would take them mst of a year to get caught up on LCP replacements. Upside is they seem to be making progress. I agree that more communication would be better, I would also bet they are really trying to not make promises (projections) they can’t keep.

First I've heard about the employee meeting. In theory Van's would be able to figure out after January 30 the number of re-orders that came in and better able to estimate the financials going forward. Between January 30 and February 12, Richard Van Grunsven, Rian Johnson, and some other owners of ESOP shares filed claims into the bankruptcy. Makes me wonder what made them all think it was important enough to file claims, and whether company financials were discussed in the meeting.

Back