What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel towing

Davea320

Well Known Member
Looking at Flyboys tailwheel tow bar bolt and Bogi bar tow bar. Does anyone have experience with these two products or other ideas on moving around a tail dragger? Also looking for ideas/suggestions on glare shield edge protection for my RV-7.

Thanks
Dave

For the past 26+ years, I have been moving my RV-6 around using the Horizontal Stabilizer. There are over 3,500 flying hours on my airplane. A few years ago, I took the tail off to inspect the horizontal attachment holes to the fuselage and can report is looks just like it did when it first went together.

Looking at Flyboys tailwheel tow bar bolt and Bogi bar tow bar. Does anyone have experience with these two products or other ideas on moving around a tail dragger? Also looking for ideas/suggestions on glare shield edge protection for my RV-7.

Thanks
Dave
Yes, I have this setup and love it.

I have the Flyboy Accessories tail wheel lugs and a Bogert tow bar. They are compatible and work well together.

There are two things I don't like about the Bogert tow bar:

1. On my example, the quick-release pins are too loose in the holes, so they tend to fall out, which tends to wallow out the holes, which exacerbates the problem. I keep meaning to replace the pins with bolts and wingnuts.

2. If you are tall at all, it's easy to hit the rudder bottom fairing the towbar unless you bend over. They sell an add-on that helps with this, but I don't find it ideal because now the original handle hits me in the knee.

Having said that, they are generally nice towbars - I have owned three or four over the years for different airplanes.

As for glareshield edge protection, cheap options include a split length of fuel hose, or pinch welt material. If you want something more automotive-like and you don't mind spending a bit of coin, Classic Aero makes one that's really nice.

I used to maneuver my RV6 around on the ground pushing on the horizontal stab, like Gary does. It worked. But I found it difficult sometimes if the snow/ice build up in front of the hangar got a bit rough. Started using Flyboy's tow-bar bolt and this $99 tow bar from Spruce, and it just makes it a lot easier when the ground is a bit rough and or slippery.

Classic Aero sells a nice padded glare shield.
1000007266.jpg

I have a pretty small hangar and, with the Cub up front and SuzieQ on the North end, it is a tight space. I long ago bought a Tail Dragger Dragger which are still available and use it on SuzieQ. The Cub just rolls in and out of the front of the hangar using the handle and the horizontal. The Dragger would probably be easy to make but the current price (on their website) of $250 might be worth your time. That said, I have no hills to go up or down when I am moving SuzieQ.

I bought this tow bar from ACS a few years ago and it works great with the axle bolt extensions from fly-boy. I think I only paid $75 back then, but still not too expensive. I put a slightly different length spring in mine from Home Depot to make it fit mine better. Easy to use, light weight and breaks down in case you want to travel with it.

Attachments

• E9AF528A-3C94-42E0-98C1-4D9CCA066F32.jpeg
    E9AF528A-3C94-42E0-98C1-4D9CCA066F32.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • AC3B819A-2F41-4A12-8736-DECB0EA6562E.jpeg
    AC3B819A-2F41-4A12-8736-DECB0EA6562E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
I bought this tow bar from ACS a few years ago and it works great with the axle bolt extensions from fly-boy. I think I only paid $75 back then, but still not too expensive. I put a slightly different length spring in mine from Home Depot to make it fit mine better. Easy to use, light weight and breaks down in case you want to travel with it.

I've been using the "Cessna" tow bar since 1999 ($47.95!) for the RV-6 and while it may not be the most sophisticated option it continues to work well. I modified it slightly so I can use it with the Murray tug. :)

aircraft-tug.jpg

aircraft-tug-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've recently taken delivery of a Flyboys tow bar and after 25 years of pushing an RV-6 around by the Horizontal, I can't believe we've left it this long to buy a tow bar.

There is no doubt that you have more manoeuvreability when pushing the tail around without the tow bar in order to get yourself into tight corners, or on those occasions where you can spin the aircraft around an obstacle and back it out... however the tow bar makes it a lot easier for the normal day to day placement in and out of the hangar and I feel better about not loading up the Horizontal with loads not associated with flight.

Regardless which version you decide to buy in the end, I'm certain you'll be glad you have one.

FWIW, I use this from Aircraft Spruce. Less than 20 pelts and weights only ounces. I chose red, so I don't forget to remove it prior to flight

Attachments

• Pocket Strap.PNG
    Pocket Strap.PNG
    747.4 KB · Views: 60
Back