What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

STUPID mistake: closed canopy with no one inside

osaleh

Hello fellow builders

The nightmarish scenario is happening now . I closed my tip up canopy and the lock got engaged . Urghhh!!!! I saw a post of how someone had the same issue and solved , however the pictures got removed because of old post . I have a slot opening on left side because I installed jdair custom canopy lock , so I can fit a contraption through that . Any help on this is appreciated.

RV7A

• Sad
Reactions: rot
I remember that thread. I believe they took a long piece of .020-.032 aluminum that was 2-3" wide and thin enough to fit through that slot and were able through trial and error to find a combination of bends and position that allowed them to turn the latch.

Good luck!

Hello fellow builders

The nightmarish scenario is happening now . I closed my tip up canopy and the lock got engaged . Urghhh!!!! I saw a post of how someone had the same issue and solved , however the pictures got removed because of old post . I have a slot opening on left side because I installed jdair custom canopy lock , so I can fit a contraption through that . Any help on this is appreciated.

RV7A
Are you speaking about the overhead safety latch engaging? If so you might be able to use a coat hanger wire or welding filler wire bent up to unlatch it. I installed a spring pin in the plastic block and put a small detent in the shaft so the handle requires positive force to rotate.

Hello fellow builders

RV7A

Use an appropriate length piece of heavy wire with a hook bent in the end. Number 9 farm fence wire that is used to cross brace H posts is what I used. It has to be very heavy and stiff wire. Steel would be best. Any place that sells farm fencing should have it. Been there done that for a friend with an RV6. Reach through the side handle opening and grab the overhead handle on one end and pull it around. It took me a few tries. Afterward modify the overhead latch with a stop riveted in place so it can't turn past the full closed position and make sure it has enough friction it won't move easily.

Thanks,

Joe

Seems the only solution is whats been suggested. What ever you slide in to unlatch it, I'd put a piece of black electrical tape or something similar over the end. That way if it contacts the canopy it won't be scratching it. If I'm ever closing my canopy completely, I have a small tab I rotate down to absolutely prevent the handle from rotating and engaging the roll bar. Good luck... you'll get it.

I have had that happen ... :-(
The only solution I found was to de-rivet 7 or 8 skin rivets from the fuselage side underneath the back window and use a broom handle to reposition the latch.
Pete

Years ago when this issue was discussed someone described how they drilled a small hole in the canopy over the shaft of the latch so a screwdriver could be inserted and the latch rotated to the unlocked position. This is more invasive than most owners would he happy with but I thought it was a pretty clever solution. A small tape dot covered the hole when it wasn't needed. I've kept the latch adjusted with washers on my tip-up with enough friction to prevent it from locking unintentionally.

I recall reading about someone who got it open by pushing a piece of polyester pallet strapping in through the top and sliding it sideways against the latch.

If you double it over you can probably even "steer" it to engage the latch handle.

- mark

IMG_3979-L.jpg

I added a spring to the handle shaft and positioned the block so it won't turn accidentally. You have to pull down to rotate the handle to the locked position.

This happened to me a few weeks after my first flight. I had the canopy in the 'cracked open' position and the canopy slammed the few inches to the fully closed position when the latch somehow slipped. The latch must have bounced when it slammed down and I couldn't get it open again.

I had some left over hinge pins laying around, so I bent one up into a hook and slid it through the side lock slot. It took a while, but eventually I got the latch to move just enough to open the canopy.

So yes, it can be done.

And after you do it, add the spring and notch the Delrin block so you have pull down before the handle will twist.

Good Luck.

It happened to me about 10 years ago on my 6A. As I remember, 36” welding rod wasn’t long enough. I found some 6’ 10 gauge straight wire designed for hanging commercial suspended ceilings at Home Depot. I had to buy a 50 piece pack, but well worth it. Still have most of it.

Attachments

• IMG_7055.jpeg
    IMG_7055.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Back