What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Staying in the dorms at AirVenture 2024... ???

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
"On behalf of Residence Life Conference Services at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, we want to update you on situations happening at our University. It was announced in early August that the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh was facing an $18 million dollar budget deficit. This deficit will create delays and a re-imaginging [sic] of the kind of service we are able to offer.

"At this time we have not made any decisions about what will change, but please expect your EAA Airventure experience at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh to look different. We will share more information as we are told what decisions are being made. We are currently awaiting updates (9/13/2023)."

from https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure-lodging/

"On behalf of Residence Life Conference Services at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, we want to update you on situations happening at our University. It was announced in early August that the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh was facing an $18 million dollar budget deficit. This deficit will create delays and a re-imaginging [sic] of the kind of service we are able to offer.

"At this time we have not made any decisions about what will change, but please expect your EAA Airventure experience at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh to look different. We will share more information as we are told what decisions are being made. We are currently awaiting updates (9/13/2023)."

from https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure-lodging/
I sure hope they have not been losing money on having us stay in the dorms.

Somewhere around 20 stays in the dorms.

They already cut out the refrigerator and microwave. This year, NO check-in till 4 PM. Keys were also handed out on the other side of the room where you check in. There is no longer an attendant at each building but the larger high rise did have someone at their desk. Keys were also returned to the same area that they were issued from.

I expect more of the same or reduced check-in time. It will be difficult for them to cut back on the number of people that they used in 2023.

My guess is that the AirVenture rooms are one of their largest per day income events.

Sports events

In a conversation with one of the managers I learned they make more money hosting sport events. Which is why you can no longer get a room on the Thursday before Airventure. There is an event the week before Airventure.

In a conversation with one of the managers I learned they make more money hosting sport events. Which is why you can no longer get a room on the Thursday before Airventure. There is an event the week before Airventure.

Couldn't be marginally more $, but I guess they hosting sport events more often comparatively...

A friend who is looking to stay in the dorms emailed me this update this morning:

Got into the UW-O dorm registration system.
One has to acknowledge that the 2024 experience will be different than before.
Each reservation is being handled by hand versus the automated system of before. So, we do not know if we got what we wanted.
We have to await their response.
Thus, we are maintaining our (cancellable) Appleton hotel reservation at the moment.

There is a deafening silence concerning the dorm food service operation.

Back