What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system considerations?

grumman41

It’s my first time to use a smoke system (🍒), is there any safety considerations?Ive read the builders notes and drawings but there are a bit vague. Supplier and type of oil?

A couple things.

I'm sure many on here will add to questions, but many of the formation/performer guys have the inertia shut-off in the event of an impact..keeps the oil from continuing to run. On my system, I have the supplied "on" light in clear view so you know when the pumps running. Otherwise, in the heat of the fun you may forget unless using the momentary feature. Oil preference has been discussed on many threads..its not cheap, so when I buy oil its usually more price based than performance based..it goes quick!.

Mine does have a light in the pilots field of view. Fortunately my tank is in the wing, not a huge fan of having five gallons of “heat energy” in the cockpit with me in an emergency situation. I could see situations where five gallons in the wing would be undesirable also.

Any limitations or considerations for ground use?
Thanks!

Back