What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich Ground Adjustable Prop

MidwestMan

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sensenich ground adjustable prop for my RV-6A. Did a search around here and seems like everyone likes theirs. I would happily buy one used, but no one is selling any used ones which is a good sign that it's a great product.

Looks like I can't just purchase from Sensenich directly, all they have is a "request a quote" option on their site. Does anyone have a dealer recommendation to purchase through? Also, the site says they have spinners. Does anyone know what those cost?

Thanks!

When I bought my 6 last year it already had a 3 blade ground adjustable Sensenich prop. I’ve owned a Skylane with a heavy metal prop for 32 years. Never thought about the difference but a heavy prop is less susceptible to kick back and I learned that the hard way - broke the starter housing and the ring gear. My mechanic said that a heavy prop would have just carried it through the compression stroke. Otherwise I love the prop!

I've worked directly with Don Rowell at Sensenich (813-752-3711) and received excellent service.

Their 13" spinner and backplate is very nice carbon/glass and comes pretty much ready to go (nut plates installed and such). It was $650 back in 2018, probably $9,500 now! ;) Sorry, bad post-covid economy joke... :(

I also have a 2-blade Sensenich ground adjustable, circa 11/2014 on my RV-6A (IO-360). I'm not the builder, but have had no operational issues, it's easy to take apart and inspect, etc.

Only challenge is getting the pitch of the two blades to "exactly" match upon reassembly. It's quite simple to rotate to the pin setting, torque up and fly, but the vibration level thereafter is not acceptable.

What we have observed is that the two independent blades always seem to rotate slightly upon the first tightening of the mount bolts and clamp bolts to 50% torque. We now use a digital protractor to see how much and what direction the blades move and account for that prior to torquing.

Not too bad once we figured out the technique, but also not a simple as it might seem.

Is this a me issue or common to users of this prop?

[Note: It looks like maybe Sensenich has updated the blade clamping design since the 2014 time frame, so maybe this is no longer relevant?]

I’ve purchased two of the two blade Sensi props directly from Sensenich - prior RV4 & current RV6. Obviously, I like them. On my RV6 I have to be careful about not exceeding my aft CG, but so far have been able to do that. I found blade pitch selection easy to do and check. The Nordlock washers really help.

D5FECF69-917E-4E2D-B8EE-C52F549DAD92.jpg

Whirlwind GA200

Sensenich isn’t your only option. 300hrs 2yrs, , .01 mips on the balancing, beautiful spinner. Will paint prop for you or get it in black.

Search here will find others comments on their WW prop.

Attachments

• D0FEF69A-361B-4343-B11A-02D4EC5F1FA4.jpg
    D0FEF69A-361B-4343-B11A-02D4EC5F1FA4.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 75
I've been happy with mine; Sensenich will sell you one if you call them.

You might get a better deal through Van's though. They list the prices here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/sensenich_comp_order_form.pdf

If you're looking at a 2 blade composite, Van's price is $3600 without the spacer, or ~$200 more with it.

I've got a high compression IO-360 and can confirm the kick-back with the lighter weight prop. It's probably happened twice in the last 50 hours. Also, check your CG. Mine is fairly far aft with that prop on the plane. I'd like to eventually convert to constant speed for a number of reasons, and CG location is one of them.

--Ron

Weight plate

Anybody having to use weight up front....dampener, plate, etc for CG reasons with this prop? If so, what are you using?

Sensenich isn’t your only option. 300hrs 2yrs, , .01 mips on the balancing, beautiful spinner. Will paint prop for you or get it in black.

Search here will find others comments on their WW prop.

I'd also be interested in the whirlwind. How does it compare to the sensenich in terms of cost, weight, and performance?

Most of the comments here seem to be related to the two blade. Anyone have experience with the three blade?

Thanks

Sensenich GA prop pitch pin accuracy

I also have a 2-blade Sensenich ground adjustable, circa 11/2014 on my RV-6A (IO-360). I'm not the builder, but have had no operational issues, it's easy to take apart and inspect, etc.

Only challenge is getting the pitch of the two blades to "exactly" match upon reassembly. It's quite simple to rotate to the pin setting, torque up and fly, but the vibration level thereafter is not acceptable.

What we have observed is that the two independent blades always seem to rotate slightly upon the first tightening of the mount bolts and clamp bolts to 50% torque. We now use a digital protractor to see how much and what direction the blades move and account for that prior to torquing.

Not too bad once we figured out the technique, but also not a simple as it might seem.

Is this a me issue or common to users of this prop?

[Note: It looks like maybe Sensenich has updated the blade clamping design since the 2014 time frame, so maybe this is no longer relevant?]

I am going to a new Sensenich ground adjustable prop (2G0M8/C72). I don't see a reply from Sensenich owners to the quote above from Kuhtenia. I would guess it is good practice to check the pitch after torquing, but I was wondering if anybody had similar experiences.

12-25-23 Update: With no response here, I noticed a similar thread ("Sensenich" in the RV12 specific section) pertaining to the smaller Sensenich GA props. I asked on that thread whether the lack of precision on the Sensenich pitch pin adjustment method also applies to the larger IO-360 props. Other owners of Sensenich props commented that they needed to do a final check with a digital protractor on their 6s and 9s, so I guess that is a needed check.

Last edited:
Back