What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat heater wiring

Jekyll

Well Known Member
I'm ready to install my seat heaters and have not yet decided how to wire them in. Specifically, whether I should use the pre-installed, lit rocker switches or replace then with on/off/on toggles.

I have decided to use the harness that came with the set but will need to do some cutting and modifying to run and fit the harness.

What have others used for switches and why?

Jekyll

Jekyll,

I am not at that stage yet, but I plan on using the supplied switches and wiring. I am sure that I will shorten the lengths and tailor it to the size and shape of the RV.

I think you are on the right track, or maybe we are both wrong!

:D CJ

Connection Requirements

Are you guys installing the Classic Aero seat heaters? If so, can you help me understand the wiring requirements? Is it just a pair of 14AWG runs to each seat? I'd like to pre-wire for these but don't see anything on their website. Do you know if they sell just the harness separate from the seats?

-Rick

Seat Heaters

I recently installed seat heaters in my Vans seat foam kit. I bought some really nice leather on E-bay and did the sewing and fiting myself. They came out great, but I did need to modify all of the connections. I uncrimped and desoldered the connections ( actually very easily done) and cut-to-length the wires and resoldered. Not a bid deal compared to some other electrical stuff I've had to do. Good luck. BCN
do not archive

I am installing the one we got on a group buy. I forget who made 'em and I am not in my shop for the next week.

If someone else knows, please respond.

I would be glad to help out in whatever way I can from memory.

;) CJ

The group buy seat heaters (mine included) were from Sports Imports, LLC. Made in China.

The supplied harnesses are made for the auto industry and do require substantial "fitting" to use in an RV. I thought about completely redoing the harness but I didn't want to muck around inside the controller box. The connectors actually look OK for the removeable seat requirement. I'm thinking of cutting the harness in half, running the harness through the spar and then splicing it together at an appropriate lenght. My floors are already riveted so I think I'll fasten the controller down to the floor beside the copilot seat. Then I just need to decide how to run the wires over to the pilot side: the high road or the low road.

I guess I'll test the OEM rocker switches in an old panel and see how well they install and stay put.

Jekyll

Last edited:
Back when I was thinking of installing seat heaters some guy posted on this forum that his seat heaters in his Volvo caught fire and he almost didn't have time to get out of the car. That story was enough to convince me not to install the things.

I wish you luck! Please keep us informed, you might be able to change my mind.

With all the millions of vehicles on the road with seat heaters, I'd think the risk of fire is fairly low. Besides, the quick disconnect fitting between the cushions and the harness are right beneath my hands between the seat bottom and seat back. If I felt it getting too hot, I could reach down and unplug the units in several seconds.

I'm guessing the need for seat heaters in NC is much less than up here in the frigid upper Midwest.

It's good to be concerned about possible inflight fire. I''ve seen folks do nuch more risky things to their firewall!! Now, up there is a real risk of fire.

Got it!

Thanks for the responses guys. I got a note from Luke at Classic Aero as well ... they use the same Sport Import heaters that you all have. He suggested that I buy the heaters, available here: Sport Imports LLC and just send them the elements to build into the seats when I'm ready to order. Sounds like a plan to me.

For the fire/safety issue ... we have heated seats in our SLK and my wife loves them. Once she found out we could get them for the plane as well there was no going back. :)

-Rick

Back