What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs Jeeps Guns

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
I am in a quandary,,,,,,

How to combine hobbies???. Aircraft camping, Jeeping, Shooting.

I have a mighty fine RV8, a CJ7, and a Daisy 'Red Rider' BB gun, and some other reasonable shootin irons.....

I would love to fly to a cool/fun camping place,,,, mountains,,,, beach,,,, or, and have the use of the Jeep and my Daisy.

When I bring this up. Carol keeps saying,,,,,.. you pull the Jeep behind the Ford , and we both will have a vehicle!,,,,, and she will fly the RV8, the RV4, or Shooter, or her RV 150 (C150), and meet me there..... Sounds reasonable,,,, but I hate to drive in traffic. And I would rather fly.

Last edited:
I had this problem too.......

Jay, I had this problem too. Here is what I did.

We have a 50k acre ranch down near Del Rio we hunt on. Serveral years ago we graded in a 5,000 ft runway, have jeeps in jeep barn, travel trailer & club house. Guns in the gun vault. All I had to do was build an RV6 to make it come true. Simple............

Check out 29-54-58.02N, 101-16-52.09W on Google Earth

Incidently, I met one of your guys, Dave Bruno, this weekend down in Conroe, what a nice young man you are working with. Very Sharp.

Last edited:
Nope!

Jarreau,

Nope,

you need a bit more.... first get an airplane to fly. then build, do not stop flying.

I have RV8, RV4, and a North Star 180hp. Looks like a Super Cub,, but,,,, It is a redesigned Super Cub, 31" Alaska Bush wheels, Baby Bush Wheel, land almost any where, 2.5 inches wider than a Cub. 52 gal gas, larger baggage compartment. Doors on both sides,,I could go on and on.......
see www.customflightltd.com for more....

I do not have any land, wish I would have bought that house in Aspen when i lived there in 1974. I could have done it then... not now.

I am trying to figure or find a place to leave a Jeep, (have two), close enough from Texas to fly and Jeep and Shoot and Hike, Camp. ice skate!

I do not hunt,,,, just like to shoot, cans, rocks, water,,,, paper targets, etc. Have been on a few hog hunts, I just don't want to collect dead hogs :( What do you DO with dead hogs anyway???

Aspen has an Ice Skating arena i love to ice skate, used to play ice hockey when younger. I can still play, but there aren't any rinks here in west Fort Worth.

Last edited:
maybe I can help

ok it's not a CJ7, but it's not afraid of offroad either. I added a lift for going to the mountains. here's Bumpa's jeep(grandkids nickname for me)
jeep.jpg

And I have a few peashooters, but would have to borrow a RedRider from the grandson
guns.jpg

And a hangar owner(who doesn't have a plane) may be evicted, so if all goes well, I may have hangar space.;)

EDIT: just noticed your post above....Ice Rink!, the jeep pic above shows my jeep parked on Canyon Ferry lake(~60sq. miles of ice)

Last edited:
Montana,,

Bryan,

Carol and i will be in Winifred, Montana in June 11, 14. Flying the Missouri Breaks
Are you near there? We have some time to spend in your state before we head to Idaho.

Last edited:
This is simple.

Tell her you fly, she drives and make sure she picks up cold beer, nachos and ammo on the way.:rolleyes:

Bryan,

Carol and i will be in Winifred, Montana in June 11, 14. Flying the Missouri Breaks
Are you near there? We have some time to spend in your state before we head to Idaho.

about 2 "Shooter" hours SW is 8U8. I'm sure I'll be here working...June is the peak of spring runoff and my busy time. But let me know when you closer to Montana, maybe we'll get together

You'll shoot your eye out, kid ....
good one!

I have not been there but I am told that there is the best shooting range in the west at Hamilton, MT and a nice airport right near the range. This is a few miles south of Missoula. Any one been there to confirm this rumor?

29 54 58.02n

Chuck,

I looked it up on Google Earth,, Pretty neat!
Sounds like you have a good place, hard to tell on Google,,,

I have a 'simi' collector 1986 white CJ7, and a beater red 1984 CJ7 with a lot of the off road stuff, lockers, lift, 33s", winch, not quite a rock crawler but enough to pull (RV8) Charley Kearns, out of the Snow on a Colorado Mountain :rolleyes:. We do the trails around Silverton, Co most summers.

Sure would be neet to have a locker near Aspen to store the Jeep, and guns, BB and others, and be able to fly up there and do weekends to go camping, hiking, Jeeping, and, playing summer ice hockey in Aspen.

Last edited:
Simple, fly to Moab this weekend for Jeep safari. Rent a jeep and catch me Fri. night @ Frankies (bald guy with telecaster). If you find me you can shoot one of these.
kdvhag.jpg

If you feel like doing away with the jeep part of the equation you can fly to KRTN... ~2-3 miles from NRA's Whittington Center, a range for every gun known to civilians...And no I'm not just telling you that because I want a ride in an 8 :)

Jay, you would love this ranch. It's straight out of "Lonesome Dove", lot's of canyons. It extends all the way to the Pecos River to the west. Absolutely out in the middel of nowhere. Hundreds of jeep trails and yes, it wil test the full range of your jeeps climbing ability. I have pulled more jeeps out with twisted drive shafts over the years than you could count. I get down there a couple of times a year. Soon I am looking forward to flying down there in my RV. Just to the east is a 6K paved strip. I don't know whether they will let me land there yet, but if you did you'd still have to walk about four miles to get to our ranch house. Spring is the best time to go.

Ranch

Chuck,

I would love to see your ranch. If there is a time we could go there let me know. jay-pratt at sbcglobal.net
I see the paved runway, says private permission required befor landing.
Is your strip smooth enough for RVs? Must be ok for my Cub..

S&W Model 3 Russian Model 3rd variation, AKA "New Model Russian" chambered in .44 Russian. Delivered 1876. Good shooter after much work.

Back