What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A and pilot weight

ve0kog

I'm New Here
Hi folks

I'm thinking about my first airplane and an an RV9A checks all of the boxes except.. I'm in the heavy category at around 240lbs, probably closer to 250 with a headset and jacket on.

Are there pilots in this range flying the RV9A and do you find this a serious limitation? A passenger/instructor in the right seat puts on the edge of W&B and/or the nose wheel load limit.

On paper it looks like not the ideal situation but I wonder how big of an issue in practice. I've read about this being a high motivation factor to shed off pounds but losing 40lbs or so is not a small feat. Should I wait until this is done before jumping into RV ownership?

I'm somewhat bigger than you, currently about 275#, although I down 20# in the past 7 weeks. That definitely limits how big of a passenger I can take with a full fuel load. Works out to about 160# maximum without baggage. Definitely an issue with w&b that limits the use of the plane. While I'm obviously not going to advocate for or admit to flying over gross weight, the aircraft performs differently but more than adequately at max gross (1750#).

Practically speaking, for me, this means I am flying to Oshkosh next month, but I have to go solo as I'll only have about 70# left with full fuel and baggage.

If you are in the cut back on fuel so you can take a passenger situation, the idea that losing 6 pounds gets you another 20 miles of range might motivate you. It is easier than losing weight from the airplane, but probably not by a lot. If you are buying your plane, then pilot weight loss is about the only option.

Like everything else, it depends....

My RV-9A has an O-320 and a constant speed. I was fussing around with W&B this morning and the bottom line is that if you observe the gross weight limitations, the c.g. will be within range.

BTW, on a -9/A, a constant speed prop provides much appreciated extra drag when landing. Comparing a 160 HP c/s with a 180 HP fixed pitch, the 160 will give full power on takeoff and a 180 with a cruise prop will give something less. At cruise, the bigger engine would only give about 6 knots more speed. And if the 160 is burning an hour a gallon less than the 180HP, that means 30 minutes more endurance, or reserve.

Anyway, the -9 is a good choice for lots of missions.

Hi folks

I'm thinking about my first airplane and an an RV9A checks all of the boxes except.. I'm in the heavy category at around 240lbs, probably closer to 250 with a headset and jacket on.

Are there pilots in this range flying the RV9A and do you find this a serious limitation? A passenger/instructor in the right seat puts on the edge of W&B and/or the nose wheel load limit.

On paper it looks like not the ideal situation but I wonder how big of an issue in practice. I've read about this being a high motivation factor to shed off pounds but losing 40lbs or so is not a small feat. Should I wait until this is done before jumping into RV ownership?

I am 6’1” weigh as little as 235 at times. I have weighed as much as 260. All while flying my 9A. I have flown to OSH many times loaded to the gills with camping gear. I have never once noticed adverse conditions when I felt weight had affected my abilities to fly the plane. It is a great plane. Your size should not be the reason you decide against the 9(A).

I weigh 205, my wife 145, and we fly with 100lbs in the baggage and full fuel. Our 100lbs of baggage includes a 55lb boxer. I'm a bit less than 1800lbs in this configuration. I've read on VAF about an RV9A flying at 2000lbs w/o reported issue but I'm not going there (see chart from RV9A below as copied from VAF). I have IO320, currently installing CS prop.... cant' wait to try it out!

Attachments

• RV9A chart.JPG
    RV9A chart.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 122
I weigh 205, my wife 145, and we fly with 100lbs in the baggage and full fuel. Our 100lbs of baggage includes a 55lb boxer. I'm a bit less than 1800lbs in this configuration. I've read on VAF about an RV9A flying at 2000lbs w/o reported issue but I'm not going there (see chart from RV9A below as copied from VAF). I have IO320, currently installing CS prop.... cant' wait to try it out!

When you talk about 100 lbs. in baggage compartment, be sure to look at CG at the end of the flight where fuel is minimum. That aft CG can sneak up on you.

An interesting visual image

When you talk about 100 lbs. in baggage compartment, be sure to look at CG at the end of the flight where fuel is minimum. That aft CG can sneak up on you.

I hate to say it, but when I read this, I pictured a shadowy something sneaking up behind me from the baggage compartment, rather like a goblin or something -- disturbing!

RV9A and Pilot Weight

Another consideration is how far the seat back is from the control stick when deflected full aft (up elevator). If you are shopping for a flying 9A, position the seat back in the aft hinge bracket and see if you can pull the control stick full aft while seated. If that works out, then see if you can push the rudder pedals all the way down from that position. I've discovered that these dimensions are a bit of a problem for large passengers I've flown with. My rudder pedals are about as far aft as they can be positioned and you would need a long inseam to achieve full rudder deflection from the aft seat position.
If you are building, you might be able to get the rudder pedals closer, although the rudder cable length is the determining factor and the clevis on the end of the cable will run into the first bulkhead they are routed through if the pedals are positioned too close. Mine lack hitting the bulkhead by 1".
I'm sure all these considerations have solutions as there are many pilots in the same weight range as you who are happily enjoying their RV9A.

I flight tested mine at 1900lbs. Always maintaining CG however. No issues even with min fuel. You do fly a bit more nose up. I do not fly crazy however and slow down in any turbulence.

The design operational stress limit for the RV-9/9A is utility category (+4.4/-1.75 G) at less than 1600 pound gross weight, and normal category (+3.8/-1.5 G) between 1600 pounds and the aircraft’s design gross weight of 1750 pounds.

Last edited:
Back