What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Spin Recovery

grumman41

For reference my spin experience is Cessnas, Super Decathlon,Cub, Extra and three spins in the RV6. The spins in the RV were fine but I don’t want to start experimenting to get this answer.
For those who with more experience, does the rotation stop quicker by leaving the stick back, possibly allowing more airflow to the rudder, ailerons neutral of course.
Thanks in advance!

The 6 recovers just fine with a neutral stick and opposite rudder, Muller Beggs recovery or ...... just let go !

Caveat is - throttle must be closed.

Carburetted engine may stop during the spin.. They start again - just like every time you go flying !

The original question was…..is the rudder more effective to stop the rotation if the stick is held in the back position?

The original question was…..is the rudder more effective to stop the rotation if the stick is held in the back position?

The standard is, stick full forward to break the stall. Or you may very well start spinning in the opposite direction if you still have rudder in.

Tim's question is reasonable. Note the reference to spinning Cubs in his first post. A J-3 with not much fuel and a big guy in the back seat recovers as much as a full turn faster with stick full back until rotation stops.

I've only done a few spins in an RV-6, so no opinion there. And I'm not arguing against standard methods, just sayin' there are tweaks.

Last edited:
RV spins

The RV4 has the same rudder as the -6, which I wish was larger for both entry and exiting the spins. I have not tried leaving the stick back before using rudder to recover, but I will when the weather clears up. Here's a video of RV-4 spins, and you can see how fast it rotates after 1 1/2 turn. With 3 rotations, it takes another full turn after recovering inputs before it stops. Really got my heart rate up :eek: and convinced me not to do any more than 1 1/2 turns in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVj-BN3Dp8
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Nope, you will continue to spin for much longer if you hold the stick full aft while waiting for the rotation to stop from opposite rudder alone. Many airplanes will never recover on rudder alone.

The standard is, stick full forward to break the stall. Or you may very well start spinning in the opposite direction if you still have rudder in.

That is not at all the standard in RVs or any other airplane approved for spins. Never push the stick full forward as part of spin recovery. That's a good way to get into a crossover spin in many airplanes. You don't need more than slightly forward of neutral. Do not push full forward.

Tim's question is reasonable. Note the reference to spinning Cubs in his first post. A J-3 with not much fuel and a big guy in the back seat recovers as much as a full turn faster with stick full back until rotation stops.

I think you meant to say full turn SLOWER by leaving the stick full aft. A J-3 using conventional spin recovery technique will recover within 1/4 turn in any legally loaded W&B configuration. You're doing something wrong if it takes longer than this.

I posted this video nine years ago. While it was my introduction to a New Year, suffice to say, Thanksgiving is due for a wonderful homebuilt RV-4 that has been part of my family for 34 years. Thanks Van for a superior product.

The spins will appear near the second half of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfHGVb_DwA

The RV4 has the same rudder as the -6

Wrong... the latest kits delivered by Vans incorporated amongst other things the RV-8 rudder.

Bet the spin exit is influenced by that ;)

I think you meant to say full turn SLOWER by leaving the stick full aft.

No, I didn't.

For me, the original reference was the US Army operating manual for the L-4. So I took Kermit up and tried it both ways. With CG well aft, rotation stopped more quickly with stick full back, full opposite rudder, just as the manual said. With CG well forward, it would not stay in a spin.

Fun daddy picture, posted because the little girl officially turns 36 about 7PM this evening. Time flies...

Attachments

• Flying in Kermit.jpg
    Flying in Kermit.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 66
Back