What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV to Burning Man

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
People tracking me via APRS seemed to have a bit of interest in why I was landing out on a dry lake bed in the middle of nowhere, Nevada. Here is a brief report on my trip to Burning Man.

Some people on the other thread seemed a bit unfamiliar with this event, so I can attempt to describe it, though it's not easy. Lots of people from every background imaginable come for many different reasons. There's lots of partying, lots of unconventional artwork, lots of interesting people to meet, and lots of amazing homebuilt technology (making it a natural destination for RV builders : ) To call it an experiment in community, art, and survival in a harsh environment would not be too far from the mark.

Roughly 50,000 people come out, many from California, but also from around the world. There's no food, water, or shelter provided. The weather is brutal, getting there is difficult, and tickets are expensive. All this tends to discourage day-trip spectators.

So, on to the trip report. Packing for 4+ days in the desert in an RV is not easy, but it is possible. Water is the biggest challenge, at 1.5 gallons a day you need 7 gallons at an absolute minimum. So that's a 7 gallon = 56 pound water tank from REI in the passenger seat (for CG reasons), tent and Fly-Ties strapped under my legs on the forward cabin floor, and everything else in the back. I had a bit of room and payload to spare, maybe even enough for a folding bike...maybe next year.

2815051259_63c068dea6.jpg

I launched from San Jose, CA early on Wednesday morning, and had no idea so many people were following along on APRS. (track link) I went up to 11.5 in search of more favorable winds, but fought headwinds the whole way. The air was glassy smooth though, visibility unlimited, and the RV was running great. At 13K+ DA, I used my new O2 bottle for the first time in flight and was happy to avoid the headache I usually get at such altitudes. In no time I was over the top of the Sierras and looking down on Reno.

After Reno, the terrain changes from all-green to all-brown. And then the occasional florescent white of dry lake beds, which largely pointed the way to my destination. The dry lakes in the area are remnants of one large prehistoric lake that spanned much of western Nevada, and Burning Man takes place toward the center of it.

Upon reaching another lakebed, a quick glance to my right showed a large round spot in the middle:

2815855136_13e3cea76a.jpg

Sightseeing and landing procedures are clearly documented, and I took one scenic lap before coming around to land.

2815856258_86ec82eca6.jpg

Landing on the rutted and loose runway was plenty bouncy but uneventful. Soft-field technique is obviously mandatory. I got in pretty early, so the unicom operator was unclear on where they wanted me to park. After pulling off the runway, I made the mistake of coming to a stop in the middle of this:

2812400661_cde999cf2d.jpg

...and was stuck. (There is a top layer of crust then 2-5 inches of fine dust below that.) I gave it about 2000 rpm, and then started wondering what was going on with my (new-design) nosegear and fairing. I shut down and found neatly formed "chocks" of dust in front of each wheel. I cleared them out by hand and was able to proceed.

Once parked I was in a hurry to get the airplane tied down, secured from dust, and tent pitched. This place is famous for sudden duststorms with gusts over 70 mph. My Fly-Ties grabbed even this soft surface very convincingly, and a bunch of blue masking tape had the airplane sealed up from the dust in no time.

2815006937_1df5c22cbb.jpg

There's a very nice "terminal building" and a shaded lounge right there at the airport. When I first arrived, the lounge was populated only by two barely-clothed women looking for scenic rides, though during peak flying hours there were often dozens of people about. I had to tell them that I didn't think I could give any rides because of the poor conditions (I hadn't yet inspected the fairings for damage) -- they didn't have to wait long for some other pilot to take them up.

2815870804_8da3bde2cf.jpg

2815872038_534e4e37a8.jpg

The airport is about a half-mile from the outer edge of the city, and another half-mile to the center of the action. Frequently I was able to hitch a ride on the skydiving camp's art car, a large van costumed as a jump plane, complete with twin props and folding wings, with passengers largely riding on the roof. There were also usually loaner bikes available.

2815039313_aba0a0ed45.jpg

continued in next post...

Last edited:
Capturing the event itself for y'all is pretty tough, the place is simply enormous, much of the action happens at night, and I did not have the patience or energy to carry around a fancy camera and tripod (though many others did). I put up a modest set of photos in this flickr set. Here are a few highlights.

A view of the opposite side of the ring. The place is huge, walking the entire front line of camps takes hours.

2815862612_d168902a55.jpg

All along the inner ring, people set up whatever they think it will take to draw a crowd, from huge dance clubs, to mini-golf courses, to a full-blown circus, to a functioning recreation of the "thunderdome", to shave-ice stands.

2815027159_53f358db50.jpg

2815898538_01b709f99c.jpg

Out in the open-desert area of the event, large art installations are created. More than a few are artfully-welded, fire-breathing metal structures. "Mutopia" is an easy favorite -- flaming, moving lifeforms controlled by joysticks and buttons scattered around the installation. These structures are also capable of belching 20-foot tall columns of fire, colored vivid purple, orange, and green.

2815038539_c973618aaa.jpg

Youtube video of Mutopia (not made by me)

Flame-spewing art cars were also popular, this one shoots one gallon of gas up through a circular igniter, creating a smoke ring that goes up thousands of feet and persists for as long as 10 minutes.

2815892416_d2913d0a47.jpg

2815043157_2a9c944657.jpg

This duck also breathed fire, but sadly those round-head rivets are fake -- it's really pop-riveted.

2815028903_26ee384ed4.jpg

I also enjoyed the "Wheel of Thwarted Ambition"

2815036985_b18e36eb15.jpg

Ok, that's it for the event highlights, check the flickr set for more.

Last edited:
Here's some more airplane-oriented photos:

RV at sunset
2815883910_080432a604.jpg

Cirrus stall/crash on takeoff (no injuries)
2812399097_fbf6088786.jpg

Twin going home the hard way
2815860586_62777c9982.jpg

cool

Wow Paul, that's quite a trip. Any other RVers? Seems like a harsh environment to fly in to. Wonder what happened to the Cirrus? DA/overload problem? Glad they didn't get hurt. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. What a great scene. I looked through the Burning man site photos. Looks like an absolute blast.

Steve

Wow Paul, that's quite a trip.

Hahaha ... Truer words were never spoken about Burning Man.... :D

Flame-spewing art cars were also popular....
The Burn seems to attract fire like, well, moths to flame. I can't imagine the event without various things belching flames.

Sad to see two busted airplanes. Not a good success rate! I can't imagine taking any airplane that I didn't mind writing-off, maybe a beater 172 with no back seats (just extra weight and you can't use them anyway). The Playa is not very airplane-friendly.

Great photos!

TODR

I was searching for links to suggestions on tie-downs and ran into this old thread about RV's going to Burning Man. While my -8 isn't done yet, I've been to four Burns so far, and have seen the considerable flock of planes that go.

While there is mountains of information about going, I'd add one thing here. When tying down to really hard surfaces, like the Playa on Black Rock Desert, a stake is really hard to drive, and the ground really doesn't hold stakes well. Most things that need to be held down within Black Rock City are bolted to the ground with 3/8" lag bolts that are between 12" and 16" long. Tents, shelters, floor tarps, etc. are all bolted down.

I'm thinking that such bolts might be the perfect tie down. In more normal ground, they could be simply driven into the ground with a rock or a hammer, but when in harder terrain, they will thread into the ground with a 9/16" socket.

I went to High Sierra back in 2019, the Claw tie down worked well there. It was three days on the HSF Playa, just a few miles south of the Black rock playa where Burning man was held, so I imagine the ground and weather are about the same. When the winds are calm, it’s nice, but when that wind picks up, it’s horrible. I won’t go again with a plane that I care about. That dust gets in everything. You’ll still be cleaning it years to come. I heard the weather was better this year at HSF, but I wouldn’t risk anything more than a day trip..

Back