What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Formation at AirVenture 2006 Oshkosh

RV Formation at AirVenture 2006

Just out of curiousity, who were the fabulous fifteen and what RVs did they fly: 3,4,6,7,8, etc? They should get some recognization for their effort!

... Bill

Southeast RV (SERV) squadron was represented by three of our own -- James(RV-6), Ken (RV-6), and Len (RV-8A). They loved it, and we're all very proud of them.

Thanks ...

Radomir said:
Southeast RV (SERV) squadron was represented by three of our own -- James(RV-6), Ken (RV-6), and Len (RV-8A). They loved it, and we're all very proud of them.
Thanks, Radomir.

We had a wonderful time. A lot of hard work and preparation but once done, it was a lot of fun.

This type of flying is not for everyone, but for those who "take to it", it is most gratifying.

James

flybill7 said:
Just out of curiousity, who were the fabulous fifteen and what RVs did they fly: 3,4,6,7,8, etc? They should get some recognization for their effort!

... Bill

The recognition we got was from the warbird guys, who dont just pass out compliments to the RV'ers, come over and said we were S#@# HOT! The reward was in shaking the hands of the flight members aferwards of a job well done. Well planned, well briefed, & well executed. I was stopped several times around the show by folks who, saw my Team RV shirt, and passed out their thanks and compliments.

It was the best technical performance of a large formation I have seen based on the pictures we reviewed in great detail. (we are a highly self critiquing bunch)

Here was the line up from the brief in no particular order
Stewart, Mike Kahuna 8
Carmichal, Dick Checker 8A
Sobek, Gary Condor 6
Kight, Danny Speedy 6
Reese, Greg Greese 6
Clark, James 6
McCurdy, Stu Falcon 8
Geer, Roy Jarhead 6
Newhouse, Bud Joker 8
Gieleghem, Ron 8
Legette, Len 8A
Gunn, Bill Gunbody 4
Checkoway, Dan Sharpie 7
Harril, Ken 6
Wilson, Greg Wizz 4

Interesting only 2 sissy wheels.

We had 16 for the infamous diamond of diamonds.... but 'Lemay, Lowell Phantom' had to drop for dead battery from master left on. We hand propped his 180hp. But dead was dead and there was no juice to ignite the alt. And yes he bought a round that evening. A few others bought rounds too for missed check ins and other ancilary items.
Best,

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome show & people

First off, let me say this was my first trip to OSH even though I live less then 2 hours away by car I haven't had a chance to attend. The RV Formation guys were just great to talk with....they all made me feel welcome and answered questions (probably the same they get from every newbie).....Dick Carmichal and Len Leggete were very generous with their time, Len even letting me sit in his plane to see how I fit in it! All this while they were briefing on Tuesday for their formation flying.

I can not say enough about this guys (and their wives) for talking to me and taking time out just to chat.....not to mention the show they put on was awesome! I stood next to some active duty pilots that day and they were all impressed with the skill and form that the RV flights were displaying.....

I also talked with "Phantom" (Lowell Lemay) for quite a bit....very down to earth great guys there....if you get the chance you'll enjoy every minute you spend talking with these guys.

Jeff

picts on borrowed camera--urgh.
72906203sw5.jpg

72906204ss5.jpg

72906205kq2.jpg

I'm not a formation flyer -- well, at the moment I'm not flying at all. Could you guys give us a sense of what happens at a debriefing session? What sorts of things came up, for example, after the terrific performance on Tuesday?

Bob Collins said:
Could you guys give us a sense of what happens at a debriefing session?
The debriefing session consists of the flight lead recapping the entire flight in detail, from engine start to shutdown. Any discrepancies or issues that came up are noted. Stu in particular has eyes on the back of his head, a photographic memory, and a knack for recalling everything he hears on the radio...he doesn't miss much if anything. Mistakes are highlighted constructively, so as to learn from them and to show improvement on the next flight.

Flying formation at this level, you need to "check your ego at the door," because there will be criticism, and you need to be able to accept it. We try to be, but nobody is perfect.

RV6_flyer said:
Here are a few photos of the 15 ship RV Formation that flew Tuesday 25 July 2006 at AirVenture.

http://members3.clubphoto.com/socal230330/4580609/guest.phtml

Next year is Van's 35 year. We need to start training so that we have 35 EXPERIENCED RV FFI Flyers in the air to celebrate.

When I arrived on Sunday, the 23rd, and was inbound at 1800' between Ripon and Fisk, a flight of 16 RV's flew overhead at 2300'. The controller directed the flight to runway 36, and about a minute later sent me to 36 also, so I ended up #17 and tail end Charley to the group. There were 2 airplanes yet on the runway when I landed.

Was that your group? It was about 2pm.

The flight was well planned and flown. Good job. I was a little p.o. when you-all appeared to cut me off, and a trip around Rush Lake was expected, but it worked out well. :)

David Domeier
Troy, Missouri
RV-7A N707DD

dan said:
The debriefing session consists of the flight lead recapping the entire flight in detail, from engine start to shutdown. Any discrepancies or issues that came up are noted. Stu in particular has eyes on the back of his head, a photographic memory, and a knack for recalling everything he hears on the radio...he doesn't miss much if anything. Mistakes are highlighted constructively, so as to learn from them and to show improvement on the next flight.

Flying formation at this level, you need to "check your ego at the door," because there will be criticism, and you need to be able to accept it. We try to be, but nobody is perfect.

I saw the flight on Tuesday. It was as good as the T-6's.

Good formation begins with a SMOOTH leader. Next is relative position and absolute concentration. Pick a spot, a batch of rivets, N number, nav light, whatever, and keep it constant. The stick and throttle are constantly moving, ever so slighly.

Easier said than done, but the challenge is fun. :)

dd

David-aviator said:
When I arrived on Sunday, the 23rd, and was inbound at 1800' between Ripon and Fisk, a flight of 16 RV's flew overhead at 2300'. The controller directed the flight to runway 36, and about a minute later sent me to 36 also, so I ended up #17 and tail end Charley to the group. There were 2 airplanes yet on the runway when I landed.

Was that your group? It was about 2pm.

The flight was well planned and flown. Good job. I was a little p.o. when you-all appeared to cut me off, and a trip around Rush Lake was expected, but it worked out well. :)

David Domeier
Troy, Missouri
RV-7A N707DD

Yes that was us.

Back