What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Windscreen/Dash transition

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
What are you all using for a nice RV-8 inside windscreen transition with the dashpad? I covered my dash with a non reflective material and it turned out rather well but the intersection with the front windscreen still looks a bit unfinished. Some type of weatherstripping or a flexible 90 transition piece on the inside seems to be a likely candidate. Any pictures to share? I’ve tried a couple things but so far what I’ve tried hasn’t been the ideal solution.

IMG_1133.png

Last edited:
Sikaflex. I did the complete canopy with the stuff so it was natural to just form a smooth filet in that area.

I am looking for something to use without any mess on top of the dash pad in the corner of the front windscreen. The dash pad is already installed and glued in so I don't think sikalflex will work after the fact. I will keep looking for some type of weatherstripping.

Does it have to be weatherstripping? Why couldn't you just use an appropriate size fuel or vacuum hose laid in there to cover the transition?

No it does not have to be weatherstripping. That’s an excellent idea Terry, hadn’t thought of that.

I used a piece of soft rubber quarter round material (hollow center) that I got at an industrial hardware near my house. It has a sticky side on one of the flats, but I didn’t peel the tape off to stick it in place because it stays put without taping it down. Enables me to easily remove if I want to. Install time - about 60 seconds……
It comes in different sizes. Looks like you could use something similar that is a little smaller.

The stuff I bought isn’t a “D” section as shown above. I couldn’t find a pic of the 1/4 round like I bought on the website. I have their thick catalog, plus they let me just wonder around in their warehouse and look at stuff. Amazing how many aircraft parts you can find in a place like that.

Attachments

• IMG_2976_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2976_Original.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
1/4" plastic tubing cut overlength, snaps in place and holds nicely... Pull at centre to remove...

Back