What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 MAINTENANCE WATCH ITEM – FORWARD BAGGAGE FLOOR STIFFENER

chrispratt

Well Known Member
When I removed the forward baggage floor from my RV-8 recently, I noticed that one of the stiffeners (the right side if you’re looking forward) show signs of rubbing and a rough, jagged edge along the downward facing vertical edge of the stiffener. I’ve removed the floor more times than I care to admit, but this was the first time I noticed this rubbing.

RV-8 forward baggage floor stiffeners (underside of floor looking forward)

I assume the rubbing is from the brake line(s). (Note to Van’s Engineering: maybe you guys could move this stiffener from being directly over the brake lines. There’s plenty of space to either side in there).

Highlighted points of rubbing

I inspected the brake lines and did not detect any sign of rubbing or fraying (they are the standard weave pattern metallic lines Van’s provides), but there is nothing else that I can imagine causing this.

Length of brake line interference is about 3 inches

My solution, which I will monitor, is to put a short piece of rubber channel over the affected area (glue it in place with some 3M Weatherstrip adhesive).

Rubber channel glued in place with 3M Weatherstrip adhesive

If anyone else has experienced this, I'd appreciate hearing about it and if there is a better solution.

I’ll let you know how it works out.

Chris

UPDATE: When I installed the floor today (2-6-2024) I could see that the stiffener is positioned directly between the two brake lines, so theoretically there is separation on either side. But it is a close fit and movement of a brake line from turbulence, or rudder pedal movement could easily (I think) cause some rubbing as the floor lies right above the brake liens with little clearance. In my case it would be the right brake line rubbing against the outside of the stiffener. I tired opening the angle of the right brake line a bit more before final installation of the floor. I'll check it again at next condition inspection to see if the rubber channel is doing its job of protecting the metal.

Last edited:
Back