What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 WD-603 Crack

Simon

Friend
Just about to install the WD-603 to the Firewall and noticed a small 1/8” crack in the partial weld of the Longeron tang. Anyone else had this

Just about to install the WD-603 to the Firewall and noticed a small 1/8” crack in the partial weld of the Longeron tang. Anyone else had this
The tangs are not welded along the longerons, so this may be normal, but without seeing your parts it is hard to be sure. It may just be a crack in the powder coat after the end of the weld. Can you post a pic?

Last edited:
The tangs are not welded along the longerons, so this may be normal, but without seeing your parts it is hard to be sure. It may just be a crack in the powder coat after the end of the weld. Can you post a pic?

Attachments

• 20240121_084612.jpg
    20240121_084612.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20240121_084602.jpg
    20240121_084602.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 95
I think it is just the powder coat that has cracked where it has bridged the natural gap in the part. The welding bead ends below the crack in the pic, so I expect the part is quite OK. If you really wanted to be certain then you could remove the powder coat to check the weld, but I believe it is absolutely not necessary to do that.

If you wiggle it a little, you’ll see that the “crack” runs the length of the part. It’s normal. You’ll understand why it’s there as you fit the longeron. Enjoy the process!

If you wiggle it a little, you’ll see that the “crack” runs the length of the part. It’s normal. You’ll understand why it’s there as you fit the longeron. Enjoy the process!
Ah, I see where you guys are coming from now, deep breath, thank you , appreciate your responses

Back