What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Gear Walk (Shimmy)

n601sc

I recently replaced original Aero-Trainer tires with Michelin Condors and found, at least initially, gear walk (shimmy) has been significantly reduced on my 101 hour / 250 landing RV-6 - no wood dampers installed.

The details: Gear walk was only sporadic during my initial flight testing last January/February (a rough time to do flight testing in Ohio?) and throughout the summer. However, during the Fall, the condition got steadily worse with walk occurring virtually every landing (and only on landing) before tire replacement during my first annual. My gear/axle is slightly under-bent meaning the outside of the tires carry more load than the inside as evidenced by heavy wear on the OD, but little to none on the ID. I had a slow valve leak on the left wheel so tire pressure was often less than the 30-35 psi fill pressure. Yes, it would have been wise to have rotated the tires at least once, but barrowing a lift was quite a chore (I know have the axle jack kit from Avery which will cure that problem).

I got a break in the weather yesterday and with a freshly signed condition inspection, I found the new Michelins (inflated to 30 psi) to have solved the problem. Yes, it may have nothing to do with the tire brand and everything to do with a more uniform (new) wear pattern on the tread - hence this post to see what others have experienced.

Lastly, with all the relative motion of the gear legs, I found I had to repaint both legs due to the fairings wearing thought the powder coat. Corrosion had begun in a couple of areas. As a fix, I ran anti-friction tape ?flap tape? along the inside length of the gear leg fairing to protect the gear leg. I also added thin strips of tape to the inside of the cuff portion of the intersection fairings to protect the visible gear-leg fairing paint.

My wheel paints also took a beating with cracks forming at the top aft screw locations. This was fixed with a patch of carbon fiber at all 4 locations. No cracking of the aluminum bracket, but I?ll keep an eye on it.

Curious if anyone else has ?fixed? there gear walk with a tire change.

Steve Campbell
RV-6
Dayton, OH

Wood Dampeners

You probably need to put them on. I have been told it makes a difference. I have not flown an RV with out them.

Back