What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Project

J29racer

I'm New Here
Sponsor
I have acquired a RV-3 if anyone remembers it the tail number is N40DC. The plane as about 282 hrs on it but have not flown in about 10 years. I have inspected the operation of the engine and first major problem is upper left engine mount is moving and the firewall is cracked. I am in the process of removing and replacing but would love more input on this project. I have little build experience But quit mechanical. I am located in Sebastian Florida and would love some input. My number is (860) 857-5249.

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5135.jpeg
    IMG_5135.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 175
Probably getting a set of pre RVB build plans and manual might be a start. If the corner weldment where the engine mount bolt goes through is moving , should be fairly easy to find out why? I am presently building a 3 .
Chris

Where are you located? Wow I didn’t think anyone was building the 3’s. Is it a new kit or one someone gave up on?

This airplane (evidently) never left "home". If you do an "N" number lookup on the FAA website - it says it was built in Sebastian, FL, in 1988. Pretty cool - not a whole lot of potential for "hanger rash" over the years.

To j29racer -

There are -3's going together around the country - the trick is to know where to look. A very good resource is the -3B build being cataloged by Dave Paule here on VAF

A local builder mentor would be worth finding to help you through the learning curve, as well as help you with tool advice. Also, the tool section of VAF is very helpful.

Dave

I live in Lake Wales, and my father and I built my -3. If you have any questions, or need a second set of eyes, let me know it's a great excuse to fly somewhere.

I have purchased an RV-3 that has tail (partially complete) and also wings (partially complete). It came with cowling, mount/legs, and a fuse kit (RV-3B). Person started doing some wing mods/upgrades and also a wing tank kit. Looks like I will be taking the wings partially apart to get the wing tank conversion done. Looks like Van's has some decent parts in stock, however, getting them to sell them to you is another story. I tried to buy a canopy kit at year end and they would not sell it to me (credit card in hand, ready to order), which may be some of their issues. I have been buying kits from them since 97 and the old man since 79! We've spent some money at Van's!
Keep plugging away and ask lots of questions. Good resources on this site and I think anyone would answer the phone if you called them.
I have a soft spot in my heart for the slow build kits as you can modify them to suit your mission. Also for the folks that have enough gumption to take on a project like that.

Has anyone converted to electric flaps?

Any photos of the jackscrew installed?

thanks
Chip Woods
RV3A
Chip - I would t recommend it. Unlike the 6, the flap lever isn’t in the way of anything and is very easy to actuate.
(There are some good hacks for the 6, but….)
I personally found manual flaps to be a joy in the 3. I have heard some “larger” pilots do have a bit more trouble with the lever location.
Sorry for not answering the question. I am sure someone has done it. Perhaps look to those that have done this on a 4 for ideas.
If Aden is following this, he probably has done it or seen it done….

We put electric flaps in mine when we built it. wouldn't have it any other way. That being said, it's your airplane build it how you want it. Btw I am 6'2" and weigh 190lbs. I have flown a -3 with manual flaps and I prefer electric. Opinions will vary.

Chip - I would t recommend it. Unlike the 6, the flap lever isn’t in the way of anything and is very easy to actuate.
(There are some good hacks for the 6, but….)
I personally found manual flaps to be a joy in the 3. I have heard some “larger” pilots do have a bit more trouble with the lever location.
Sorry for not answering the question. I am sure someone has done it. Perhaps look to those that have done this on a 4 for ideas.
If Aden is following this, he probably has done it or seen it done….
Yea, two issues I have.

One is I'm a bigger one.

The other issue is the way the builder positioned the seat belts interfere with the flap handle.

I have the parts to do it and have mocked it up, I'm just wondering if I was doing it right or if there was another idea out there.

thanks
Chip

Yea, two issues I have.

One is I'm a bigger one.

The other issue is the way the builder positioned the seat belts interfere with the flap handle.

I have the parts to do it and have mocked it up, I'm just wondering if I was doing it right or if there was another idea out there.

thanks
Chip

i cut ff the handle and welded on a tab to attach the flap motor.
works great

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpeg
    IMG_0613.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
I have purchased an RV-3 that has tail (partially complete) and also wings (partially complete). It came with cowling, mount/legs, and a fuse kit (RV-3B). Person started doing some wing mods/upgrades and also a wing tank kit. Looks like I will be taking the wings partially apart to get the wing tank conversion done. Looks like Van's has some decent parts in stock, however, getting them to sell them to you is another story. I tried to buy a canopy kit at year end and they would not sell it to me (credit card in hand, ready to order), which may be some of their issues. I have been buying kits from them since 97 and the old man since 79! We've spent some money at Van's!
Keep plugging away and ask lots of questions. Good resources on this site and I think anyone would answer the phone if you called them.
I have a soft spot in my heart for the slow build kits as you can modify them to suit your mission. Also for the folks that have enough gumption to take on a project like that.
It's the wings that make it an RV-3B not the fuselage! If the person started doing some wing mods/upgrades I sincerely doubt it's RV-3B wings. RV-3B wings are redesigned to be similar to RV-4 wings. RV-3B wings include wing tanks.

Finn

Back