What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 - Ordering Avionics and Power Plant - Maybe Early Feb.

Stuart Grant

I thought I would try to show support for the company by ordering Avionics and Power Plant on Jan. 24th. So I called kit orders and was told it is not possible to order now. "Maybe in a couple of weeks." No promises on lead times but probably 3 months for avionics and 9 months engine. How will I know when I can order? Answer: When the order forms are posted under the 12 Kit webpage. Until then calling will just be a waste of time.

I thought I would try to show support for the company by ordering Avionics and Power Plant on Jan. 24th. So I called kit orders and was told it is not possible to order now. "Maybe in a couple of weeks." No promises on lead times but probably 3 months for avionics and 9 months engine. How will I know when I can order? Answer: When the order forms are posted under the 12 Kit webpage. Until then calling will just be a waste of time.
For the last 2 weeks, they've been saying new contracts for all engines and avionics will be going out "next week". I would imagine that once they finalize power plant and avionics kit prices, they will update the order form, and you should be able to place new orders. I'm still hoping for the new contract / new order price emails to go out this week.

Ok, can you by-pass Vans and order? Might be "safer" to do that.
Not if you're building ELSA - it has to be built exclusively from Van's kits. If you want to build EAB, you can do what you want as long as it will pass its airworthiness inspection. However, the Van's "Power Plant Kit" contains a lot more than just the engine including the propeller, engine mount, engine wiring harness, exhaust system, cooling system and everything else forward of the firewall. The same limitation applies for the avionics. Ultimately, I believe Van's has to issue some sort of ELSA compliance certificate, and they will only issue it to builders who have purchased all 6 kits from them.

Last edited:
As Brad said, there is some parts included in the powerplant and avionics kits that you can only get thru Van's if you want to build the 12 as designed. The exhaust and cooling system are custom Van's designs. The electronic control and junction boards are custom Van's designs.

If going E-AB one could do whatever they want but it won't be as designed.

Unfortunately, as others have stated, if you are building an E-LSA you must go throught vans and get everything through them. EAB builders wont be subject to the paperwork limitations of E-LSA, but might run into parts issues. When we get an order to make the wiring harness for E-LSA customers Van's sends us several large boxes of parts. These are all part of that package but most of it is not used directly for the avionics wiring. I don't know everything that is contained in these kits either since Van's inventories them and sends us a seperate box with the pieces we need for the wiring. I know there are parts, such as antennas, that would be easy to get elsewhere, but there are also parts like the X3 connecor that come with your engine that they send to us for use in your wiring. Things like that may be harder to get elsewhere.

My honest advice for RV12 builder's is to stay the course and get everything through Van's. The RV12s were designed to be a complete package and I really thinking sticking with the designed packages yields the best results.

If you decide to go E-AB, there is $1,703.08 in parts from the Powerplant kit you will need to finish the airframe for whatever engine you choose to put on the front. By my math and spreadsheets, assuming 10% Van’s powerplant increase, a UL Power 350iS and fwf kit is only slightly more than what your new balance payment will be when revised contracts come out if they are 10% more. Assuming you only have paid the 25% deposit.

Not a sales pitch but there are options. Me and another builder have started designing some fuel system parts and wiring diagrams to fit the UL to the stock 12iS fuel system and stock Vans Dynon wiring harness. It’s looking to be a simpler switch than we originally thought. A big ask to send $40-45k to vans with the information and lack of timelines they've given. Note we are 2.5 weeks out from the Feb 12 claim deadline for people to make this $40k decision and still no contract or info. Talk about backing you into a corner. I’m still up in the air on which path I will choose.

- Jacob

Last edited:
Remember also that if you don't buy everything from Van's they won't give you the letter/certificate that you need to register as ELSA and you'll be going EAB, you'll have to demonstrate compliance with the 51% rule (if I recall correctly), and you'll have a 40-hour testing requirement EAB rather than the 5-hours for ELSA.

Note we are 2.5 weeks out from the Feb 12 claim deadline for people to make this $40k decision and still no contract or info. Talk about backing you into a corner. I’m still up in the air on which path I will choose.
For what it's worth, I believe it was stated on the Creditors Meeting call that all customers with engine and avionics orders will have 30 days after being notified of their new contract terms to either accept the new terms or file a claim. Therefore, the Feb 12th deadline will not apply to file a claim. I haven't seen this in writing from Vans, but I'm pretty sure the statement was made by either Clyde Hamstreet (Chief Restructuring Officer) and/or Vans attorney.

For what it's worth, I believe it was stated on the Creditors Meeting call that all customers with engine and avionics orders will have 30 days after being notified of their new contract terms to either accept the new terms or file a claim. Therefore, the Feb 12th deadline will not apply to file a claim. I haven't seen this in writing from Vans, but I'm pretty sure the statement was made by either Clyde Hamstreet (Chief Restructuring Officer) and/or Vans attorney.
I heard that too but yet to see a court document listing such. Hamstreet or the lawyer was under oath when they made that claim but I want it in an official court document. Regardless, if we dont see engine contracts this week, I’m filing my claim. I will amend/cancel if necessary if the notice is sent out before the 12th. They’re starting to get too close to comfort.

I see that the RV-12iS avionics kit order form is back online. As a reference, I ordered the Garmin IFR package with the NON XM ADS-B in option in August of 2022. The total was $41,665. The same package now is $46,607.

Henry

The order form for the legacy RV-12 that I am building is not up yet but I am happy that they are making progress on the revisions. My kit is set up for Dynon stuff and I am sure there will be an increase from the 2023 order form that I had filled for my reference a while back. I am building as an E-LSA so the cost for avionics and power plant will be what they will be. Ordering asap will allow me to finish in the time frame I had been hoping for. I didn't start this thread to complain, just to advise that calling Van's before the order forms are posted is probably a waste of time.

I see that the RV-12iS avionics kit order form is back online. As a reference, I ordered the Garmin IFR package with the NON XM ADS-B in option in August of 2022. The total was $41,665. The same package now is $46,607.

Henry
Thats $43,152.68 in today's dollars.. or a $3500 increase above inflation.. 3.5 aeronautical units.. all adds up.

Just got the link today to accept my 12ULS powerplant order. About $2800 more with my previous deposit credited. Was to crate in November so hope they schedule soon. Only have a few weeks work to do without kit. Getting sick of fiberglass work.

Just got the link today to accept my 12ULS powerplant order. About $2800 more with my previous deposit credited. Was to crate in November so hope they schedule soon. Only have a few weeks work to do without kit. Getting sick of fiberglass work.
Got the link sometime in middle of the night. 12is powerplant with 3 blade prop and Rotax Care increase was $3103. Thats 6.4% more but only 2.2% over inflation from day of my first kit order, acceptable in my mind. Got to have an engine and as being built E-LSA has to have Vans seal of approval. Value of finished plane currently still greater than kit costs and I am still having fun building which is the point for me.

Back