What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Extended Baggage Shelf

AmontgoRV

I usually travel with my aircraft cover, which unfortunately takes up quite a bit of valuable space in the RV-10's baggage area. There is quite a bit of unused, open area aft of the baggage area bulkhead cover that I've always thought would be perfect for an extended baggage shelf. My thought is to modify the bulkhead cover to include two small baggage shelves (one on each side of the metal column in the middle). These shelves would be intended to carry only very minor amounts of weight, for items such as aircraft covers, towels, jackets, hats, etc. This would create more room in the main baggage area for luggage.

Has anyone already taken a stab at designing a good solution for this? If not, I might start work on a design myself.

Thanks!

I believe the baggage bulkhead is a structural component.

Yes, there have been mods to the bulkhead in the past, but as I recall, they have been done with care to reinforce the openings and keep the structural integrity intact.

I believe the baggage bulkhead is a structural component.

Yes, there have been mods to the bulkhead in the past, but as I recall, they have been done with care to reinforce the openings and keep the structural integrity intact.
+1.

Also, have you looked at your zero fuel cg? Your post sort of implies that you are already filling the baggage area with bags. A lot of -10’s out there go out of aft cg (worse at low fuel) before they go over gross.

Similar to your shelf idea - I built a spare bulkhead into a ski carrier (inspired by a friend who modified a Maule the same way). I built a box approximately 16 inches deep that extends into the tail, long enough for my biggest skis with a rear seat removed. The skis extend from the back of the pilot seat, through the rear seat area, through the baggage compartment, into this box.

I cut a corresponding rectangle (making an opening) out of a spare bulkhead that I bought from Vans, I bought a second bulkhead and cut a section of solid metal about 3 inches wide to make a doubler around the opening. Then I riveted the box to the bulkhead and the doubler with wide flanges. I am leaving the new bulkhead unpainted to make it easy to inspect.

If you click on the link below to my builder's log and keyword search for "ski", one of the first entries that comes up is how I built this.

To echo the above comments - the bulkhead is structural. This is why I made it a double thickness to reinforce whatever I lost by cutting an opening into it.

Second - check your weight and balance. Extending into the tail takes your CG aft quickly. My personal W&B spreadsheet contains entries for whether the standard bulkhead or the ski bulkhead has been installed (accounting for both increased weight and greater distance from datum) as well as any baggage load that may extend into that opening. Bear in mind that up to 16 inches of ski really isn't all that heavy, and much of the ski is pretty forward since it is right up to the pilot seat - what you plan to place on your shelf could have far more aft CG impact than I am seeing.

Last edited:
bulkhead

I made an inspection panel in that bulkhead. Yes, it is structural. I also purchased a second corrugated panel to make the inspection panel. The hole in the original bulkhead was reinforced with a doubler and aluminum angle.

I had intended on using some of the space behind the bulkhead for liwgtweight items but decided against it due to CG concerns and the potential for something to come loose and either land on the batteries/contactors or foul the elevator linkage.

I have a large Bruce cover that covers spinner to about half the tail. I fold it appropriately the size of the baggage floor, lay it on the baggage area floor and I stack everything on top of it. If I’m not unloading everything from the baggage area and need access to the cover, I roll it tight and store it in the back With the other things. If you’re using the stuff bag that came with the cover, toss it. It takes too much room up.

Almost done doing one. Plan is light weight stuff like hats, jackets, maybe cover or other items that I always want with but don't always need. I made it so I can disassemble it and take it out to access stuff in the tail. It ties in with two pieces on the side that stay in, and then the bottom of the bulkhead will screw to part of it. Also, haven't figures out access at this point. Planning on just removing the top bulkhead panel to access it. I'd like to do cam locks or something easier than screws but need to investigate.

Attachments

• 20240110_145625.jpg
    20240110_145625.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240110_145620.jpg
    20240110_145620.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240110_145631.jpg
    20240110_145631.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 62
Back