What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder to vertical stab clearance

Dave J

I'm New Here
What is minimum acceptable gap to allow for paint between the rudder and trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer at full left or right deflection?

I barely have .010” clearance in areas at full left rudder position.

What might be the best method to increase the clearance?

Thanks,

That sounds pretty tight. You can sand a concave shape into the fiberglass VS tip/filler piece if it's tight at the apex of rudder rotation, or you can simply adjust the three rudder rod ends out an equal number of turns to move the whole rudder aft.

That sounds pretty tight. You can sand a concave shape into the fiberglass VS tip/filler piece if it's tight at the apex of rudder rotation, or you can simply adjust the three rudder rod ends out an equal number of turns to move the whole rudder aft.
I should clarify, this is a RV-12iS. The hinge brackets are pre-form and punched. They are not adjustable unless I oversized the base holes to move it over. I may ask Van’s if that is an acceptable option.

What is minimum acceptable gap to allow for paint between the rudder and trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer at full left or right deflection?

Thanks,
Van's tech support told me it's OK to trim the trailing edge of the VS all the way up to the spar if necessary.

Thanks,
The correct method to increase clearance is to take a straight file to the trailing edge of the VS. There's quite a bit aft of the spar. But you don't have to remove much. When I talked to Tony about this he suggested about .025-.050

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_181344239.jpg
    PXL_20240315_181344239.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Back