What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration vs. Data Plate

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Hey Guys & Gals, Your Data Plate is supposed to match the registration EXACTLY!

I continuously run across data plates that have a middle initial where the registration does not or vice-versa.

I also find too often where there is a mismatch between model designation. Such as RV8 vs RV-8.

Please pay attention to the details. The FAA does NOT like these little discrepancies.

Hey Guys & Gals, Your Data Plate is supposed to match the registration EXACTLY!

I continuously run across data plates that have a middle initial where the registration does not or vice-versa.

I also find too often where there is a mismatch between model designation. Such as RV8 vs RV-8.

Please pay attention to the details. The FAA does NOT like these little discrepancies.
I find issues pretty often as well.
In the help document I provide to anyone I am working with, I recommend not getting the data plate made/engraved until after the builder has received their Form 8050-3 registration card. then make sure that when it is made, it matches the info on the card. Exactly. Even punctuation.

What about changing N numbers. Do you keep the original data plate after you change the N number.
Thanks

What about changing N numbers. Do you keep the original data plate after you change the N number.
Thanks
The only data required on the data plate is MAKE, MODEL, AND SERIAL #
It doesn't have any connection to what Registration # is on the aircraft.

What Scott said! I started out using fancy data plates that looked cool and had all sorts of data….which someday change! I now use three-line data plates, and recommend that to others. Super simple.

What Scott said! I started out using fancy data plates that looked cool and had all sorts of data….which someday change! I now use three-line data plates, and recommend that to others. Super simple.
My favorite data plate.

DataPlate.jpeg

Thank you, that’s what I thought, but it was easier to understand from you and the regulations.

They care about it so much that they changed the builder name (mine) from "Last, First MI" on ALL of the paperwork I submitted to "First MI Last" on AWC (but not on the registration).

Yep. However, the OP said

Your Data Plate is supposed to match the registration EXACTLY!
Hmmmm....

So a data plate that says "Joe Builder, RV-16, #1" has to match the name of the person or company that buys the plane and re-registers it accordingly?

I must be in trouble, then, because my registration lists me as a trustee, but the data plate doesn't (and the first/last/mi order is different, as well).

Yep. However, the OP said

Hmmmm....

So a data plate that says "Joe Builder, RV-16, #1" has to match the name of the person or company that buys the plane and re-registers it accordingly?

I must be in trouble, then, because my registration lists me as a trustee, but the data plate doesn't (and the first/last/mi order is different, as well).
You are confusing two different things. The data plate identifies the airplane by showing its serial number, model, and who the original manufacturer was. The original manufacture is the person’s name.
The name of the person that is the current owner is a different part of the registration record. It is not something that goes on the data plate.

You are confusing two different things. The data plate identifies the airplane by showing its serial number, model, and who the original manufacturer was. The original manufacture is the person’s name.
The name of the person that is the current owner is a different part of the registration record. It is not something that goes on the data plate.
I know that. I was concurring with what you said earlier and pointing out the apparent error in the first post. Guess I should have put a /s marker on the end of my post :).

That being the case, the FAA *still* managed change the manufacturer/builder name when the original paperwork for the inspection and AWC was submitted, as I earlier stated (i.e., they don't seem to have the same issues about things matching *exactly* ;) ).

I find issues pretty often as well.
In the help document I provide to anyone I am working with, I recommend not getting the data plate made/engraved until after the builder has received their Form 8050-3 registration card. then make sure that when it is made, it matches the info on the card. Exactly. Even punctuation.
I brought my actual registration card into the trophy shop that engraved my data plate just to make sure it matched exactly. It seems so simple, it’s hard to believe that many people screw this up!

Make (ie Manufacturer ie Builder’s name)
Model (RV-7A)
Serial Number (came with the kit from Van’s. This is not the N number).

This the most often discovered discrepancy I find on airplanes, both when doing a DAR inspection or a prebuy. It is always the name. It has to be EXACTLY as on the registration. Think of how many people have names have a like-sounding first and last names, like John Paul or Ruth Chris, as examples. One person might be John Paul and another person be Paul John. Pay attention.

The other common mistake I see is builders put Vans Aircraft as the builder. This is only valid for S-LSA and E-LSA. It’s amazing to me how many have slipped through the system and have Vans listed on both the registration and the data plate as the manufacturer.

Vic

Make (ie Manufacturer ie Builder’s name)
Model (RV-7A)
Serial Number (came with the kit from Van’s. This is not the N number).
Serial number can be ANY number (or combination of numbers and letters) you choose when submitting the paperwork for the initial registration/AWC, as long as it is unique to that manufacturer. Mine is 001.

Back