What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

??? "Reciprocating Aircraft Engine Type Designation System" ???

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello Guys,

Lets see if the forums are faster than Google!

I am doing the paperwork for my RV9A, to make its first flight very soon. Filling in the paperwork I came across the Type designation of my new ECI-Titan engine: "OX-320 A1J1N4-FIS". I tried to find out what all these letters stand for, but was not able to find the "RAETDS" on the WWWEB. (The Fuel injection has been installed by the engine builder, so that is why it is not realy a IOX-320)

Go forums....time starts.... now!

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards, Tonny.

Tonny,
As per ECi's booklet M262(03/21/07) the "A" Constant Speed. "1" Dynafocal type 1 Crankcase. "J" Bottom-Mount Hot Induction with 2 Non-Impluse Magneto Drive Gears for Electronic Ignition. "1" 8.5:1 Compression. "N" Nickel+Carbide cylinder Bore. "4" Experimental Only cylinder with 14MM Spark Plug Boss.
I would guess the builder added the FIS on the end possibly because they used another Fuel System than ECI'S.
You can also get this information from ECI's webb site www.eci.aero
Hope This helps

I knew it was going to be better than Google!

WOW !!

Most of the times I get 12.500.000 hits on stupid things I don't even want to know, but if I am realy looking for something, it can to be hard to get the right information. I Knew I was going to get an answer "Pronto" through the forums though!

Exactly! Everythig you are saying and a non ECI Fuel injection system installed!

Many thanks, Kind regards, Tonny.

Back