What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PS Engineering PAR200B pirep please

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
A friend is looking at fitting one of these with one or two com radios in the 10 he is busy building. Anyone willing to share his experience or thoughts about this product?
Here is the link to it
PAR200B

If there's room, I would encourage you to install a separate audio panel and radio like the Garmin GMA245/GTR.
I won't install PSE units any longer due to their warranty policy (below), plus having been around both, I think Garmin is a better unit.

In order for the factory warranty to be valid, one of the following conditions must be met:
  • The product is installed by an authorized PS Engineering Dealer.
  • The product is installed using a custom wire harness made by an authorized PS Engineering Dealer.
  • The product is installed as a Plug N' Play slide in replacement.

I "installed" one in my now sold RV-7. I have the wiring harness fabricated by Stein. The unit was sent back to the factory as the screen was starting to display vertical lines. The service was fairly quick minimizing my downtime. I sent it off during my CI so the aircraft wasn't flying anyway. I do not remember how long it took but less than ten business days.

Other than that it was worked flawlessly for five years. I am building a new aircraft and may install another one.

I have a PAR200B installed in my RV8. The radio itself is a Trig. Panel space is definitely an issue in the RV8. It's been in my panel for about 2 years with no issues. Customer service is good. If I had the panel space of a RV10, and everything else in the panel was Garmin, I might compare Garmin features and pricing.

Thank you all. Being far away like we are and looking at the warranty conditions it might be a bit risky. Sending anything back to the USA for repairs makes it about a five week turn around time. Personally I also like stand alone units in order to have more reduncy when there is a failure.

If there's room, I would encourage you to install a separate audio panel and radio like the Garmin GMA245/GTR.
I won't install PSE units any longer due to their warranty policy (below), plus having been around both, I think Garmin is a better unit.

In order for the factory warranty to be valid, one of the following conditions must be met:
  • The product is installed by an authorized PS Engineering Dealer.
  • The product is installed using a custom wire harness made by an authorized PS Engineering Dealer.
  • The product is installed as a Plug N' Play slide in replacement.
I’m running the PS Engineering PDA-360EX in the RV-8. I consider this the best AP, and AP value ever offered I was disappointed to find it was no longer carried. I assume it was dropped as they consolidated on “certified” products.

I too was put off by the warrantee issue forcing the purchase of a wiring harness. At ~$500 for 3-4 hours of bench wiring I moved on (and told PS Enginerring about it).

I will again use the overpriced GTN -650 in the new RV-10 project as it is the least bad certified GPS navigator option. My personal experience with Garmin standalone radios eliminates them from consideration for Comm #2. I have run the remote mounted SkyView radio in the first three builds as Comm #2 and will do so again in this current build. I find this radio to be as good if not better than the radio in the GTN-650. The problem is I have not yet decided on an audio panel. Perhaps the Trig panel (I believe it is also made by PS Engineering) will be the choice. The ~$500 harness is not a warrantee requirement for the Trig.

Carl

Regarding the Garmin dealer's comment above, I've had nothing but top notch service on a couple of warranty issues with PS E. The owner often answers the phone.

Regarding the Garmin dealer's comment above, I've had nothing but top notch service on a couple of warranty issues with PS E. The owner often answers the phone.
The best service is to never need warranty service!
I've been personally using/installing Garmin for many years, I've never had or seen an issue with Garmin audio panels.
And for PSE to tell me they won't warrant a unit I installed was truly an insult, and the last time I ever dealt with them.
Trig makes a great product though, I've used/installed plenty of their units with no issues.

Back