What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop swap decision

egp8111

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone swapped out a Hartzell for a WW. Is it a direct bolt on? I'm trying to make up my feeble mind about swapping props. I currently have a WW151 prop on my RV-6 o-360. It has about 75 hrs. left before it has to go back to California for another inspection (not gonna happen) So it has to go. A buddy has a Hartzell HC-C2YK he will sell me a a good price but I have a Catto three blade sitting in the shop with the spinner ready to go on. I'm tempted to put the plugs in the engine, bolt on the Catto and simplify my life. I don't do long xc or fly into short fields so losing a little performance isn't a big deal. But if it is a easy swap to install the Hartzell will I be kicking myself for not just sticking with a CS ?
And to think I made fun of my wife for not being able to decide which shoes to wear...

Skip
NC
RV-4 built and sold
RV-6

Unbolt the WW, bolt on the Hartzell…. Piece of cake. I’ have swapped between WW and Hartzell three times in one day when doing prop testing. Now I prefer to go from Hartzell to WW just for the performance you get…. ;)

We absolutely loved our -151 on the RV-3, but Jim Rust told me that he simply had no more -151 parts if it needed any during overhaul, and built me a -300 to put back on the airplane. Better performance for a little more weight.

Maybe crunch the numbers on the weight reduction going from the CS to the FP Catto.
My 6 has a Harzell with light starter, B&C SD8 Alternator and Earthex battery on the firewall, it would not tolerate the light weight of the Catto, as good as they are.
Mike

Thanks Mike and Paul

I had concerns about the CG with the Catto.(I have a lightweight starter as well)I need to do the numbers
If the Hartzell is an easy swap that might be the way to go. I'm sure I could always find someone who would like this lovely Catto. I'll put the money in my new WhirlWind fund
Skip

Thanks Mike and Paul

I had concerns about the CG with the Catto.(I have a lightweight starter as well)I need to do the numbers
If the Hartzell is an easy swap that might be the way to go. I'm sure I could always find someone who would like this lovely Catto. I'll put the money in my new WhirlWind fund
Skip

Skip,

Please hit me up if you want to sell the Catto.Thanks

Crankshaft plug

Make sure to disable the propeller governor if you put the crankshaft plug in. Prop governor oil pressure can dislodge the plug.

I currently have a WW151 prop on my RV-6 o-360. It has about 75 hrs. left before it has to go back to California for another inspection (not gonna happen) So it has to go.

WW Ohio recently overhauled my 151 prop. $1600 if I remember correctly. Still a great prop.
Ed

WW Ohio

WW Ohio recently overhauled my 151 prop. $1600 if I remember correctly. Still a great prop.
Ed

Whirlwind Ohio is basically no more but the tech their (Jay) has his own overhaul shop now and will do it with WW Cali blessing. Did mine and works perfect. WW props are very nice !!

Back