What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop shop recommendation please - whirlwind prop

Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello and a Happy New year to everyone.
This should possibly go in the Southwestern region postings, but that sub-forum sees less traffic, so i'm trying here:

I want to get my Whirlwind RV200 prop overhauled while it is off the aircraft for engine work (already removed - so I can't fly it anywhere).
I am in Northern Arizona, and the closest official Whirlwind service center is 11 hours drive away in Stockton CA.
I was hoping to find a shop a bit closer so I can drive the prop to the shop to avoid the cost and risk of shipping it.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good prop shop that can handle a composite Whirlwind prop in Arizona or possibly SoCal or generally within about 6 hours drive from Northern AZ?
I'd prefer to use a shop that is familiar with the Whirlwind props if possible.

If I do need to ship it, where do you find a suitable box for a prop (2 blade, I think 74")

Thanks!!!

Its been awhile, but American Propellor shop in Redding CA used to have a truck that would make trips all the way down the state every couple of weeks to pick up props for service, and they were recommended for use by Whirlwind. They came to my house in the Santa Barbara area for pickup. Might be worth a call to see if they make it to Arizona or you can arrange for pickup somewhere not too far from you.

Stay away from American Propeller

(At the risk of vendor bashing) I would NOT trust American Propeller's with my prop.

I can confirm that years ago American Propeller in Redding had a pick up / delivery service that ran north and south at least once a week. That was great. I bought an RV-200 through them as part of a VAF group buy YEARS ago. My prop was not happy with my engine and required service multiple times. (Prop did not work well with high compression and probably too much advance with my electronic ignition - Lightspeed then PMAG). Their communication with me was not honest. Thankfully Whirlwind in Ohio stepped in.

Regards,

I’m in Minnesota and sent mine to Ohio after a sudden stoppage and then for an overhaul after it started slinging a little grease. Their TBO recommendation is quite arbitrary and the rep said that they modify that recommendation based on what they see from the props sent back to them for inspection. So for that reason it’s good that WW does the work. Also I like the ones who made it to service it.
Now if only they could come up with a decal that would last!

I did start my search by contacting Whirlwind in El Cajon CA, but they don't do any servicing of props and referred me to their (short) list of recommended shops. The Redding CA shop is closest - a 14 hour drive, so if I'm going to have to ship the prop - I may as well send it to the shop in Ohio.
I was hoping to find a good shop within a more reasonable driving distance - perhaps 6 hours or so.
That being said, obviously it's best to use a shop with Whirlwind experience and it seems those are few and far between.

Still looking for recommendations of a good shop with Whirlwind experience if possible.

Now for the most confusing part:

Whirlwind propellers has the following on their website:
"Whirlwind Aviation in Austinburg, OH has no relation to WhirlWind propellers Corp in El Cajon CA and is not an approved service center for Whirlwind Propellers Corp products."

However, on the Whirlwind Aviation website - they say:
"Whirlwind Aviation a service center for Whirlwind Propellers Corp. products. WWA is subsidiary of Titan Aircraft and not affiliated to Whirlwind Propellers other than an authorized service center located in Austinberg, OH.
Whirlwind Corporation recommends that maintenance and repair of Whirl Wind propellers only be performed by Whirlwind Aviation or Whirl Wind authorized service centers."

Can anyone clarify this contradiction for me?? Who made my prop (I am not the builder)?? Who should I speak to??

Thanks

Last edited:
I’m in Minnesota and sent mine to Ohio after a sudden stoppage and then for an overhaul after it started slinging a little grease. Their TBO recommendation is quite arbitrary and the rep said that they modify that recommendation based on what they see from the props sent back to them for inspection. So for that reason it’s good that WW does the work. Also I like the ones who made it to service it.
Now if only they could come up with a decal that would last!

Just so you know, the Ohio Whirlwind is no longer in business. (I was told that once of their techs is still servicing them under his own name, but don’t know how to contact him).

Whirlwind Ohio

Hopefully every understands WW Ohio does not exist any longer. Divorced last year. The tech that was at WW Ohio is now servicing WW props at his own shop.

BTW they have changed their grease to a European producer that does not separate. Seems to work well.

Last edited:
The tech that went out on his own is indeed the guy that ran the WW Ohio for many years. Very knowledgeable and gave me a history lesson on WW. I’ll be doing all my service with him when the time comes.

JDW Propeller Service
Burton, OH
(440) 417-5366
[email protected]

Thanks for the explanations

Ok, that helps a lot - thank you all.
JDW Propeller Service in Burton, OH is in fact on the official WW service provider list, so seems a legitimate option, and given the history probably would be my first choice for a mail in service.

Can someone post or provide a link to the whirlwind approved service providers? Perhaps I overlooked it but I don’t see it on their website

FYI - Stockton Propeller Service …

is no longer in business.

HFS

Re/WW's approved Service List

Last edited:
Lots of confusion

The 200RV constant-speed prop is (was?) made by Whirlwind Aviation formerly of Ohio. I had no idea they shut down. I sent mine back for teardown last year, 2 years early. Glad I did now, but it sure wasn't a good experience. Sent it in with a broken roll pin and they never even looked at the bolts even though it was on the list of items included in the teardown. 3 months of downtime getting that fixed.

The 200RV constant-speed prop is (was?) made by Whirlwind Aviation formerly of Ohio. I had no idea they shut down. I sent mine back for teardown last year, 2 years early. Glad I did now, but it sure wasn't a good experience. Sent it in with a broken roll pin and they never even looked at the bolts even though it was on the list of items included in the teardown. 3 months of downtime getting that fixed.

Actually, the Ohio-based Whirlwind Aviation simply assembled and marketed (and serviced) constant speed props that were designed (and the components fabricated) by WHirlwind Propellors in El Cajon, CA. Ohio shut down due to numerous issues, and all manufacturing is now done in the home facility in California.

Paul

Exactly...

You are correct Erich - there really aren't many options for prop shops with WW experience. I can't call them approved service centers as WW doesn't do that - I believe the list is simply a few shops that have some experience with WW props and are willing to work on them.
I can confirm that the Stockton shop is no longer in business.
Whirlwind in California have told me they are willing to provide parts and technical guidance to any shop that is willing to take your prop and work on it - but that being said, I have first hand knowledge of a reputable shop trying to work on a WW prop - that is less than impressed with the information from WW. It's not that WW is withholding anything, it's just that they don't have a lot of technical data for the shop to go on, so you're relying on the expertise and experience of the techs to "figure it out" based on what they discover as they work.
I am waiting to hear from a local prop shop that is trying the experiment of overhauling a WW prop. If they think they can provide the level of service they would on other props, they may consider taking more WW props.

My experience

Recommend keeping your packaging if you purchase a WW prop. I’m near Tampa so pretty logistically challenged. Just received a WW prop (my fourth) freight was a little over $600 from California. Ohio does a nice job working with WW Ca and freight should be less if needed. (I live half the year in Ohio so logistics ok).

Really like the performance of my WW props.

For whatever it’s worth, Mike Busch apparently has his props (not WW) sent to American Propeller in Redding, and spent a week there observing their overhaul services, as described in his webinar on prop overhauls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuCcflYTbE

He suggests that overhaul intervals can be greatly extended when planes are kept in low a low corrosion environment and that reseals can usually be done in place of a more expensive complete overhaul when there is no damage to the prop blades.

Hello All,

Any propeller shop can easily perform tear down inspections and hub repairs to our legacy propellers (200RV, HRT, 74RV, 200 series). All of these legacy propellers are McCauley based hub platforms. This means any propeller shop that works on McCauley propellers (which happens to be all of them) has all the tools, fixtures, and parts necessary to work on all Legacy WW propellers. We supply the service center or any propeller shop with supplementary inspection procedures unique to these Legacy propellers. If blades need work that is out of scope for the service center, then the blades can be sent to WW factory for repairs. Even though the 200 series propellers are no longer in production, new hub parts are available via McCauley. WW factory (El Cajon, CA) can perform repairs on damaged blades and manufacture new replacement blades for the legacy 200 series propellers.

The most active WW service centers are JDW Propellers in Ohio and Redline aviation in Colorado.

https://redlineaviation.aero/redline-propeller/

https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/service-centers/

The 300 and 330 series constant speed propeller is a completely different hub system. WW supplies all documents and parts to service centers or propeller shops servicing these propellers.

Reactions: bhp
Back