What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable air conditioning Peter Schiff Aero

jfcote100

I'm New Here
Did someone install a portable air condtioning unit behind the bulkhead of the bagage aera? I live in eastern Canada, obviesly AC isn't always required. But planning to take my 10 to my Florida house couple months a year, I'm thinking about some "light" options.

I found this:

https://www.peterschiffaero.com/product-page/sofielite-12

I'm running an EFII system, so I have a lot of electrical power.

Well it's 45-95 amps for 9000 BTU, so I think that you would only want to use it on the ground, with an external power plug. In Louisiana where I fly often, this would not be very practical - because even if I do totally cool down the interior, I'd have to unplug it, open the tip-up, climb in and such. Any cooling that I might have enjoyed will be gone in boarding. Then taxi time - a hot process with canopy cracked. The plane's alternator can't drive this unit. I suppose you could wire your backup alternator for it, but that wouldn't work well because of low taxi RPM. Even on the hottest days once airborne things cool considerably and are quite comfortable so it's a ground problem for which this isn't a very good solution for an RV.

Alternatively, I suppose one could add a battery that when isolated would supply just the AC for a time; recharge in flight with AC off. Obviously this would be time limited. To recharge a deeply discharged battery in flight should require a charging system so a big discharged battery doesn't suddenly show up on the ship DC bus when you throw a switch to charge it. I suppose a simple contactor to put the battery on the bus for charging could work in some situations but I'd prefer at least a high-power current limiter. A battery could be mounted in the baggage area, and the weight of battery and AC deducted from baggage capacity.

Then there is the installation itself - intake and exhaust paths.

Before I decided to install an engine-driven AC, I considered going electric. I came to the conclusion that 12V doesn't cut it, you need 24V to yield enough cooling to make a difference. I have several parts of electronics that aren't available in 24V, so that would need a step-down converter and create failure points. I also enquired aviation alternators in 24V at the needed amperage and those were super expensive. Same goes for 24V batteries and chargers, they all cost more at 24V.
BTW, 9,000 BTU is not much, an engine-driven AC makes 24,000 BTU. And the BTU also depend on the outside temperature. When you need it most is when they perform the worst. If not mentioned, you don't know for what temperature they quote the BTU in their specs.

Back