What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel layout

Karee Brinlee

Hey group.
So, I decided to go with AFS panel to finish my plane. I was going to do steam then upgrade but decided to finish the panel now.,
So,I bit the bullet and ordered everything I need for my AFS 5600.
Autopilot, com, adsb in and out and of course ADAHRS.

I will cut the panel for a future due screen EFIS.
I am using AFS ACM so it is pretty much plug n play.

For now, plan to use a large IPAD for Foreflight.

I am going to be VFR only.
Without the backup ADAHRS 201, should I have any backup instruments mounted to the dash.
I suppose being VFR the only thing I am concerned with is Airspeed if my system were to fail.
However, I could get airspeed on foreflight ...

What are you guys doing?
KB

As backup for VFR I put a single analog airspeed indicator in the panel and there is only one ADAHRS for the Dynon screen. The rationale is that if everything else fails it will still be possible to safely land the plane. There will be a tablet on the right with Ozrunways (similar to foreflight) giving GPS altitude and ground speed. Foreflight gives ground speed and not air speed, I expect?

Attachments

• 20230812_112648.jpg
    20230812_112648.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Not to hijack your thread, but I’m also planning a panel upgrade for my -4.. why AFS vs Dynon? Maybe I should look into Advanced also?

You're on a good path that will serve you well IMHO. The fixed display with a pad is what I run, and having the extra removable pad is handy for planning out of the plane and makes a great backup, like you mentioned.

As a side story to having another airspeed source from Foreflight, here's my tale.

After 525WB was finished it went to Oshkosh the next summer. Made the long flight from the PNW with all the precautions, hoping that all the systems would continue to work well. Craft had about 80 trouble free hours on it at the time.

After an overnight stop the in SD, it had rained and my cover was in the cargo pit doing me no good. The next morning I noticed some water dripping under the tip up, right near and above my unprotected avionics ... :eek: I wiped everything up well and did a good check out before launching for the last leg. Everything working well until ... VFR at 10,500' over MSP talking to the high controller my main display showed intermittent RED X's across portions of the screen! Attitude failed, then the map, then engine instruments etc. He reported that he was losing my transponder. In my coolest pilot voice I responded that I would "cycle" and try again. We finally came to the agreement that I would report any turns or altitude changes to him before making them, he was super cool about the whole thing. I was a little terrified. Altitude and airspeed was coming from GPS on the pad (fudged for errors when the Dynon airspeed would pop back to life for a few seconds, attitude was by the trusty wind screen ... I considered diverting to some airport, but OSH was 45 minutes away and it seemed reasonable to at least be stuck somewhere that may have some support (like Dynon!) and a hot shower.

Long story shorter, I pressed on and flew the full arrival into OSH and landing with GSP airspeed and altitude as my only reference, blundering my way along with the paper backup arrival charts on my knee but no longer in my dead moving map. No ADSB so no traffic, but thankfully good weather. The tight descending turn to final and landing was done by "feel", respecting any indication of a mush or impending stall. Made it in one piece! I was thankful for having obtained a pretty good feel for the plane in the time leading up to this adventure.

Two days later, after things drying out everything fired back up and worked great all the way home. Since then a nice tent has been installed across the full width of the avionics, and it's survived a number of parked downpours since then.

You can't have this kind of fun anywhere else except Experimental GA! Get to know your plane and fly fly fly!

Happy Holidays

Not to hijack your thread, but I’m also planning a panel upgrade for my -4.. why AFS vs Dynon? Maybe I should look into Advanced also?

Advanced Flight Systems is affiliated with Dynon. While they market their own ACM, Displays and Software, most of their hardware is Dynon and they can do a Skyview System or integrate pretty much whatever you want.

AFS ACM

I have the AFS ACM panel-less panel. It's all Dynon but as mentioned, the ACM will integrate AFS as well.
There are several harnesses the builder has to terminate. Front, Rear, Flap/Trim and Switches if you're not using the AFS switch panels. Otherwise, all the boxes are plug-n-play.
FlyLED also has a module that mounts to the ACM for the lights.

FlyLED

I love the ACM. We will make our own harnesses I think... and I am going with FLYLED..
Cool lights.
KB

I have the AFS ACM panel-less panel. It's all Dynon but as mentioned, the ACM will integrate AFS as well.
There are several harnesses the builder has to terminate. Front, Rear, Flap/Trim and Switches if you're not using the AFS switch panels. Otherwise, all the boxes are plug-n-play.
FlyLED also has a module that mounts to the ACM for the lights.

Back