What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paintshop review: Dan and Linda Mauer of Red Bluff, CA

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...this was sent to me by Amit Dagan

Dan and Linda Mauer

Red Bluff, CA, USA Contact Info: H: (530) 527-1970 C: (530) 526-8021

Email: danandlindamauer ?at? yahoo dot com.
Price: (Agreed upon vs. actually paid. Essentially, are you happy with the price? Did you get your money's worth?):
(5 out of 5)

I got a very reasonable price estimate range and the final cost was right on the money? Compared to another quote I had this was a better value.
Finished Product: (Are you happy with your paint job?)
(4.5 out of 5)

My paint job was challenging, and the execution was fantastic. As in most things in life, it?s not perfect, but I am really happy with the paint job.
Timeframe: (Promised vs. actual delivery)
(5 out of 5)

Just like the price estimate, the time promised was also correct.
Facilities: (Modern paint facility vs hanger with a dirt floor)
(4.5 out of 5)

While not a ?modern facility?, the care the painters took in plastic-sheeting the hangar where the airplane was painted, together with the lighting and air filtering they used resulted in the paintjob coming out almost perfect. See the text below for some unique opportunities with regards to the facility.

This review by: Amit Dagan RV:7 N#:247GA
Date reviewed: 01/05/2007
Comments:
I personally believe that if you can build an RV you can probably learn how to paint one too. The problem is that unlike metalworking (you learn to rivet by the time you banged 200 rivets), it takes some experience to figure out how to paint an airplane, and I didn?t want to learn on my own RV? I have seen other people projects when it was their first paint job, and you can easily tell the difference between a professional painter and a first timer. So, what I was primarily looking for as far as a paint job was concerned, was mostly experience, specifically since I had a paint scheme which involved keeping some of the metal bare for later polishing. At first this might seem like a simpler paint job (since there is less surface to prep and paint), but in reality it actually makes the job more difficult, since you want to protect the surface which is not going to be painted from any etching or primer. Furthermore, I wanted a metallic paint, which is one level more difficult than regular flat paint. You can see why I was looking for an experienced painter?
I met Dan and Linda Mauer through a fellow RV builder who had them paint his RV-8 (and later won a Bronze Lindy at KOSH). I learned that they had an aircraft painting business before they retired, where they painted about 800 aircraft. That should give you a good idea on how experienced these people are. They have done tube and fabric, fiberglass and metal aircraft, both first paint jobs and re-painting. They have done metallic color paint jobs before, many RVs, and use the PPG system.
The Mauers have been working together as a team for many years, and their system works great: Linda has an excellent hand and eye for pulling the masking tape for the design on the aircraft, and Dan has the experience for laying down the paint in a most professional manner. They have another unique feature in their business which I have not heard of before: Being retired and since they enjoy traveling in the Pacific Northwest, they have an air compressor and the necessary paint guns in the back of their truck. They attach a trailer to the truck and could travel to your destination if you have access to a paint booth that your project can occupy for the duration of the job! In fact they have done several trips to Parkside airpark near Battleground in Washington and have painted many if not most of the RVs on that airpark.
Their motto is quit fitting: ?Have Gun, Will Travel??
But if you cannot arrange for a paint booth, which was the case with my airplane, they have a facility they use on an airpark about 5 miles west of Red Bluff municipal airport in NorCal (KRBL).
I have discovered a new pride in my airplane now that it is painted, and I am getting nothing but compliments on the paint from anyone who sees it. Dan is very meticulous and holds himself to very high standards. The Mauers are extremely nice folks which were a pleasure to deal with, and I highly recommend their work to any RV owner who can get on their schedule.

amitmf8.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent post

I am in the throes (it's really not that bad!!) of painting my own 7A with the assistance of a friend who has painted several airplanes (and lots of cars). We are painting in my hangar, which is heated, weatherproof, well lit and well sealed. I have a new appreciation for people who do this for a living. I've spent about 250 hours so far in prep, and have about another 50 to go before we're ready to shoot paint. Anyone who thinks they're getting ripped off by paying big bucks for a high quality paint job need to participate in at least one high quality aircraft prep and paint project...

The fact that the Mauer's will travel to your locale to do the paint is a tremendous selling point for those of us in the Northwest. I truly think there's a real market for painters who can work with builders and do a good job, on time, most of the time.

Thanks for the review!

its a labor of love though!!! to think of spending so many hours on a plane that i dont own, i can only say that i love what i do!!!! Good luck with your painting projects guys, if i can help feel free to ask!!!

Back