What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Other required instruments with G3X?

QuixoteAg

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm planning on light IFR panel:

G3X
G5
GTX345 & GNS 430 OR GNX 375
GTR200

GMC507 A/P
GEA24

Since I'm going to have engine instruments through GEA24 and G3X, do i need a seperate Tach or oil pressure, etc? i'm thinking no...

OpLims on Experimental aircraft typically say that the aircraft must MEET the requirements of 91.205 to fly IFR or night. Typically 91.205 only applies to "Standard Category" aircraft but OpLims for Experimental say that they also must be met for certain operations. Note that there is no where in the OpLims that say Experimental aircraft must meet 91.205 VFR requirements for DAY VFR operations.

Nothing says that the requirements need to be exceeded only meet the requirements.

I'm planning on light IFR panel:

G3X
G5
GTX345 & GNS 430 OR GNX 375
GTR200

GMC507 A/P
GEA24

Since I'm going to have engine instruments through GEA24 and G3X, do i need a seperate Tach or oil pressure, etc? i'm thinking no...
I assume you meant "430W" (WAAS). These are of course no longer manufactured, and are getting a bit 'long in the tooth'. Nevertheless if you can find a used one at the right price, they're still fine units. Make sure you have a back up battery (or other power) for the G5.
The G3X will provide all the engine instruments you need.

Your list is fairly similar to what we’ll be putting in our Rocket (although I like two coms, so we have one more…). To answer your question directly, there is no requirement for back-up engine gauges. In fact, all of our airplanes are single-string on engine instrumentation, with the exception that they all have an oil pressure switch driving a dedicated light on the panel if oil pressure drops. I’m comfortable operating a Lycoming with just an oil pressure light to get me home - I can do everything else by sound and performance.

Back