What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel vs. Tailwheel on rough terrain

eric_marsh

Well Known Member
The RV-6 kit that I purchased has the hardware for both a nose wheel and a tailwheel setup. I'm more inclined to want to go with the nose wheel because of increased visibility on taxiing take-off and landing as well as to avoid any insurance issues.

Safety is high on my list of priorities and in another thread I see that there have been a number of nose wheel related incidents. But here's the big question. If you take a look at this map of my field you can see that it's probably big enough for me to use as my own landing strip. It's a little rough, with some small (2') mesquite growing. I shred them periodically but they grow back.

So if I should decide to create my own landing strip is there a preference for nose or tail wheels on rough terrain?

Tailwheel is preferred for rough runways.

Insurance costs will be the same on RV-#A as RV-#. The first year may be higher but none thereafter.

Visibility in the -A is better but no RV is so blind it's dangerous.

\Visibility in the -A is better but no RV is so blind it's dangerous.

However, it's a fact, that with a tailwheel RV.............there may be objects in the path, that you may miss..............and clobber enough to do extensive damage. This has been proven by a "well known" forum member....:)

The Pitt's I used for aerobatic training did the same thing. Hit a small tractor used to tug aircraft, when it ran out of gas on the ramp. The Pitt's has less forward visibility than the RV, though.

It's really a tradeoff when making decisions. Tail wheel for rougher strips, or nosewheel for much better sight beyond the cowl, and some advantage in crosswinds.

My next plane will be a high wing tail dragger for "back country". Just a different mission altogether.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

While there are nose wheel airplanes out there that work well on rough fields, I personally consider the RV nose wheel to be a bit delicate for routine operations from rough strips. Heck, i flew a Grumman with a similar design (but about twice as heavy) for many years, and was very cautious about rough field operations. If my intent was to routinely operate off of pasture land, I'd go tail wheel.

Yes, you can taxi into things if you don't see them, but S-turning is a fundamental skill with a tail dragger if you can't see what is out ahead. I find the visibility out of the -8 to be good enough that I rarely S-turn....in the -6, I sit lower, and do it much more often. Just like driving a car, you need to be aware of what you CAN'T see, and allow for it - situational awareness is key at all times.

Paul

While there are nose wheel airplanes out there that work well on rough fields, I personally consider the RV nose wheel to be a bit delicate for routine operations from rough strips.

I've determined, that the RV nosewheel is "very delicate", and that should be considered in all situations.

But since numerous friends have gotten into the "tundra tire" mode lately (non-RV)...............I'm starting to gravitate that way, in regards to rougher, and more rougher strips. :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I'm a -7A builder/driver based at a paved airport but if I were based at a rough strip I would probably go with a tailwheel. However, if I were based at a nice sod strip I would have no reservations about the nosewheel. I have landed my -7A on sod many, many times -- no problems whatsoever.

A tail wheel it is then. Cattle can leave some pretty good divots when it gets muddy. I think I'll have to rent a bulldozer one day.

Last edited:
Upgrade your Tailwheel

A tail wheel it is then. Cattle can leave some pretty good divots when it gets muddy. I think I'll have to rent a bulldozer one day.

Upgrade to a Bell tail wheel or similar. It will give you a bit more clearance and the design allows you to slide over bumps that the Van's fork might catch.

Your wheel pants might take beating so plan on rebuilding the bottoms from time to time or consider leaving them off. Search the threads for larger tires as some have done this successfully and kept the pants.

RV's do a lot of things well. Rough fields are not one of them.

If the surface will always be rough then tail wheel may be best. However if you own this field then presumably you would be able to maintain it in a condition that would be OK for a nose wheel RV? My airstrip originally had some very rough patches, but I replanted the grass and rolled it and the surface is now very acceptable for a nose wheel.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
If the surface will always be rough then tail wheel may be best. However if you own this field then presumably you would be able to maintain it in a condition that would be OK for a nose wheel RV? My airstrip originally had some very rough patches, but I replanted the grass and rolled it and the surface is now very acceptable for a nose wheel.

Fin
9A

I'm studying that question right now. The field is red clay - it might be tough to get some grasses to grow. What concerns me more is that I have a variation in elevation of perhaps two to three feet in the area where I would want to put a strip. But on the plus side where I would want to put a runway is close to due north and we have mostly northern winds. From fence to fence I have somewhere around 3000 feet. I imagine that ought to be enough for an RV.

I guess that the subject of what's required for a safe runway is something else that I need to study when I have time. I expect it to take a couple years to put my RV together so there's no rush.

My local airport is only about eight miles from home so it's not a problem to get there. It's just more convenient to be able to work at home. Saves hanger fees too. I've already got an old slab up there that I could put a metal building on and there's a telephone pole with electricity running to it - all I need is to put in a meter.

Besides, what can be more cool than having my own airstrip?

3.000 ft would be pure luxury. Mine is 1,400 ft at 4,300 ft altitude. A 2 to 3 ft variation would not be a problem unless you mean fairly abrupt 2 to 3 ft undulations in which case you may need to get it graded even for a tailwheel?

Fin
9A

No, the 2-3 foot (probably closer two 2) variations are over a thousand feet or so. From the south fence it dips down just a little bit for perhaps three hundred feet and then there is a gentle rise as you head north. It's pretty level from about 500 feet south of the north fence to the fence itself.

However, it's a fact, that with a tailwheel RV.............there may be objects in the path, that you may miss..............and clobber enough to do extensive damage. This has been proven by a "well known" forum member....:)...
Being that "well known" forum member, I would go with the taildragger again without hesitation.

My incident, was caused by a low slung trailer left in the middle of a narrow taxiway, lined with tall poles (no S-turning), on the back side of a hill, at a large local fly-in. While a nosewheel might have helped, I watched a Cessna almost taxi into the same trailer after we moved my plane. Thus, having the little wheel up front might have helped but it was still possible to hit that trailer. Call it a tie.

The wheels on an RV aren't really made for rough fields. However, you can have custom gear legs made so you can mount large wheels and tires.

It comes down to what you really want. Build that airplane and don't look back.

Back