What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW PRODUCT FROM ANTI SPLAT

PerfTech

Well Known Member
We have created another new product that we feel will add convenience and utility to your aircraft operations.
please go to our website and have a look at our new JACK POINT / TIEDOWNS, and let us know what you think.
These quality parts are marine grade stainless that will never corrode or discolor so no need to take them in
and out. Should you be away from your home base and have need to jack up or tie your plane down you will
be ready to go. As always, we appreciate your opinion and thoughts. Thanks, Allan

https://antisplataero.com/store/

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

Looks like a pretty high bending moment on the ring (it is angled because of the wing dihedral) and it would get even worse if you only jacked one side.
It may be more than strong enough, but I will stick with using the shortest jack point possible.

Looks like a pretty high bending moment on the ring (it is angled because of the wing dihedral) and it would get even worse if you only jacked one side.
It may be more than strong enough, but I will stick with using the shortest jack point possible.
+1.

I use AntiSplat's Quality Jack Points and really like them - no bending, and the point makes them even more stable.

Dave

I have never seen a wing jack point that I would feel comfortable using. We have all seen too many pictures of damaged wing skins when they fall off the jack point and puncture through the bottom of the skin. When I built my -10, and now my -9A, I filled the outboard gaps of the bottom carry through spars and bottom skin with 8" long aluminum shim stuffed and held in place with tank sealant. Fabricated 4" x 6" articulating rubber padded jacking pads to fit my home built HF long ram jack stands. They pads are large enough to capture the fore and aft spars for jacking. It is very sturdy and probably impossible to shift enough to come down off the jacks. I also fabricated a travel pad out of 1/4" plate aluminum with rubber padding that I carry in the plane for emergency use. Any bottle or automotive scissor jack with some blocks of wood or cinder blocks will safely get the main wheel(s) off the ground for servicing away from home field.

I have never seen a wing jack point that I would feel comfortable using. We have all seen too many pictures of damaged wing skins when they fall off the jack point and puncture through the bottom of the skin. When I built my -10, and now my -9A, I filled the outboard gaps of the bottom carry through spars and bottom skin with 8" long aluminum shim stuffed and held in place with tank sealant. Fabricated 4" x 6" articulating rubber padded jacking pads to fit my home built HF long ram jack stands. They pads are large enough to capture the fore and aft spars for jacking. It is very sturdy and probably impossible to shift enough to come down off the jacks. I also fabricated a travel pad out of 1/4" plate aluminum with rubber padding that I carry in the plane for emergency use. Any bottle or automotive scissor jack with some blocks of wood or cinder blocks will safely get the main wheel(s) off the ground for servicing away from home field.
Pictures?

--------We tested this in the hydraulic press at a 15-degree angle, {more than you can create jacking from one side} and it took just over 2000 lbs.
to begin bending. When using this product, we don't think anyone will ever have that kind of weight on one jacking point. Thank you, for your
response, and feedback. Allan

Consider adding a laminated washer or shim pack set to achieve desired alignment? Just a thought.
------Glad you asked this question, as I forgot to address this in the description. When jacking there
is no desired alignment as it makes no difference, but if installed in the wing for flight it is desirable
to maintain an alignment with the direction of flite. We provide with the product the hard rubber
crush sleeve that is gentle on the skin surface and will maintain alignment without over tightening.
Again, thank you for your feedback and questions. Allan

I'll take some pics next Monday or Tuesday and post them in a new thread so as not to trash Allan's thread. He makes good tested products!
No need. It’s nearly impossible to shake an RV off of the Jack points when a proper socketed/dished Jack ram and quality jack point are used.
The accidents that have occurred, very, very, few where all related to other factors. (Some of them defy my faith in humanity)

Since the begging of time, almost all, if not all, aircraft have been jacked up by jacking points in the wings. My 75 year old Fiats have dished out steel plates in the wings and the manual shows the jacks just like a Mooney, P51, Boeing jet, RV, on and on…… you can Google hundreds of examples and may not find one alternative method. The Fiats are not even threaded, just dished out areas that rely on the aircraft weight.

It’s wise to use caution anytime the aircraft is in the air, but I’ll stick with the proven and recommended methods.

Allen, I like the product but would never leave anything in my wings. Jack points and tie downs are easily carried in the airplane. I am glad to see that your product bent and didn’t break. However, I still want my jack points closer. I consider the threaded aluminum bar the jack points thread into as part of the system and want that bending moment to be as short as possible.
You know the old saying about products that serve two purposes.

No need. It’s nearly impossible to shake an RV off of the Jack points when a proper socketed/dished Jack ram and quality jack point are used.
The accidents that have occurred, very, very, few where all related to other factors. (Some of them defy my faith in humanity)

Since the begging of time, almost all, if not all, aircraft have been jacked up by jacking points in the wings. My 75 year old Fiats have dished out steel plates in the wings and the manual shows the jacks just like a Mooney, P51, Boeing jet, RV, on and on…… you can Google hundreds of examples and may not find one alternative method. The Fiats are not even threaded, just dished out areas that rely on the aircraft weight.

It’s wise to use caution anytime the aircraft is in the air, but I’ll stick with the proven and recommended methods.

Allen, I like the product but would never leave anything in my wings. Jack points and tie downs are easily carried in the airplane. I am glad to see that your product bent and didn’t break. However, I still want my jack points closer. I consider the threaded aluminum bar the jack points thread into as part of the system and want that bending moment to be as short as possible.
-----

----Many people (including myself) remove their tiedowns from the wings in flite in the interest of drag reduction. But they still carry them in the aircraft as they will be needed,
so why not be a bit more prepared should the need arise when away from home? This product just provides another choice for us to choose the system we like or think will
serve us best. It really isn't a violation of the "old saying" just another option. Thanks, Allan

------Glad you asked this question, as I forgot to address this in the description. When jacking there
is no desired alignment as it makes no difference, but if installed in the wing for flight it is desirable
to maintain an alignment with the direction of flite. We provide with the product the hard rubber
crush sleeve that is gentle on the skin surface and will maintain alignment without over tightening.
Again, thank you for your feedback and questions. Allan
Your products good reputation is well earned. Let me express that it probably won't matter but tell me your thoughts here if you would please?

Threads like to be loaded to prevent a reversing load in order to prevent associated wear/maintain service life. Your new rings will outlast all of us. Does your collar provide enough loading to maintain thread preload when picking up the aircraft weight? Ideally the fastener shoulder should be picking up the load? This was part of my basis/assumption for my laminated washer suggestion.

Assuming all RV designs have a similar approach, the aluminum, female aircraft threads would benefit from the aforementioned. If you've validated such through testing, then your thoroughness has outpaced me once again.

Back