What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N772KS RV-8 near Umatilla Municipal Airport (X23)

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
N772KS RV-8

On September 5, 2023, about 1942 eastern daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Vans RV-8, N772KS, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Umatilla, Florida. The pilot was not injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

The pilot reported that after fueling his airplane fully at Umatilla Municipal Airport (X23), Umatilla, Florida, he planned to return to his home airport of Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB), Orlando, Florida. He reported that about 150 ft to 200 ft above ground level, shortly after takeoff, the engine “sputtered.” He switched fuel tanks, noted that the fuel boost pump was in the on position, and the mixture was full rich. When asked if the engine lost power after switching fuel tanks, he responded saying “no, it was sputtering,” the propeller was “winding back” like the engine was not producing power, and the rpm was “way back.” The airplane impacted a lake just off the departure end of the runway substantially damaging the right wing and fuselage.

Postaccident examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the fuel line from the electric fuel boost pump to the fuel sump was fractured.

The examination also found the fuel selector was operational and operated properly. Compression and suction were observed on all cylinders when the propeller was rotated through 720° of rotation.

Fuel records show the pilot bought 16.423 gallons of 100LL aviation fuel at X23 before the accident flight. Maintenance records show a condition inspection was completed on July 24, 2023.

The wreckage was retained for further examination.

Link to preliminary report

Since the NTSB has only issued its Preliminary Report and has not yet issued its Final Report with a Probable Cause determination, the post should be moved to the 'Safety' subforum to discourage discussion and speculation.

Last edited:
I like how the report lists the fuel out to the thousandths of a gallon (16.423 gallons) yet they state something ambiguous like, the fuel line broke between the fuel pump and the sump. Where exactly is the “sump” they are talking about? I think they mean the fuel line fractured between the fuel pump and the gascolator? But calling it a sump, that’s not clear..

Last edited:
i had an aluminum fuel line crack at the gascolator fitting on the firewall. The engine driven pump was then sucking air, and when I turned on the electric pump, the fuel line was pressurized and the engine started running again. With a feeling of, oh, might as well go home, I headed back.

Immediately after taxiing up to the hangar, I was trying to figure out why the engine quit when it quit again. And there was a black and blue stain on the right gear leg.

I knew that at takeoff, I had 13 gallons in the tank I was using, and only four in the other. However, after landing, the 14 gallon tank was bone dry.

I had pumped about a gallon a minute overboard in the engine compartment, right between the two exhaust stacks.

No more rigid fuel lines for this kid!

Sometimes you don't catch everything in a plane built by somebody else. Or by you, sometimes...

I like how the report lists the fuel out to the thousandths of a gallon (16.423 gallons) yet they state something ambiguous like, the fuel line broke between the fuel pump and the sump. Where exactly is the “sump” they are talking about? I think they mean the fuel line fractured between the fuel pump and the gascolator? But calling it a sump, that’s not clear..

This is the NTSB's Preliminary Report, and as such, carries this disclaimer at the bottom of every page: "This information is preliminary and subject to change."

That's why this thread should be moved to the the 'Safety' subforum to discourage discussion and speculation since the NTSB has only issued its Preliminary Report and has not yet issued its Final Report with a Probable Cause determination.

This subforum is for Probable Cause discussions.

Last edited:
Back