What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving Saturday, Ready To Order, Need A Ride In A -7(A) and a -9(A), Dinner's On Me!

DevDad

Well Known Member
Hi guys!

Well, our move got moved up to this Saturday, which means that after the dough situation settles (read: 30 days), I'm going to order my empennage kit. I had been 100% set on building a -7A, but the more I look at it, it appears that the -9A is a good option for me, also.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can find a -7 driver, and a -9 driver within the next month to take me for a spin. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner is on me, depending on the time you choose! I realize that plenty of guys are on here begging for rides, but it's decision time for me, and I don't think I can take the time away from home (stay at home dad) to go take a couple rides with Van's. So, if you're up for helping me decide, and want a free meal ;) please shoot me an e-mail, PM, or give me a call at 727 - two five five - 1075.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

$50 or $100

If you can honestly say that another RV builder/owner directly influenced your decision to purchase a kit, that person is eligilbe for $50 in credit or check? from Vans Aircraft. You will have to let Vans know somehow, I forget the process exactly. I once got a $50 credit for a new 9A builder. Just thought I would mention this as a minor incentive to those out there that show off their planes to prospective builders. I hope Vans is still doing this, if not, this message will self destruct.

Now that I think about it, it may be $100??

Last edited:
Good point! I believe it is $100. I will definitely try to get Van's to split it between each person. I just feel like that is the only way to really decide between the -9A and the -7A.

Mike

If you really want to go for a "spin", it should be in a -7.

Agreed. The reality is, I'm not sure if I'd even be into aerobatics. I'm thinking that I'd be more into a (slightly?) more stable platform, given the fact that I'm going to try to engineer a child seat to use for a year or two after completion. But, the -7's extra 25lbs of "baggage" makes me feel more comfortable with the child seat installation. Ultimately, the ride will decide. ;)

Mike

Even if you NEVER do aerobatics, for about the same cost and effort to build either model, the 7 is a stronger airframe, has a higher VNE, cruises faster (assuming 160 HP engine on both), and can take larger engines if you wish. It does stall faster (51 mph vs 44 mph).

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-7per.htm

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-9per.htm

I completely agree with the points you've mentioned. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole thing yet. Part of me wants to build a bottom-end RV-9, get the experience of building, flying, and owning an airplane. This is best option from the standpoint of build it light, build it cheap(er). The RV-7, to me, is more of the "if I'm going to build this thing, it's going to have EVERYTHING in it", hot-rod airplane. Either would be amazing, but I'm not sure which is best for me.

The reality is, I work from home, have plenty of spare time, and would like to use that time to build, and subsequently fly, my own airplane. My fiance will more than likely be leaving her job to help me with my business, and I want an airplane that I *could* add a seat for my daughter (19 mos right now) so she can tag along until I build my air-Cadillac (RV-10). ;) We don't really have to fly fast, but once she's off to school, and most likely too big to have a spot in back (provided I'm able to devise something safe in the first place), I'll have plenty of time to go do my own flying during the day. So, I feel like a -9 is a less expensive midpoint between the -7 and the -10, which is why I'm considering it. The other part of me agrees with everyone who says "Build the plane you want to fly, because you'll be flying alone", which I definitely believe, and understand.

Mike

Hangar/build room

Maybe a very small decision point, but the -7 has a shorter wingspan than the -9 by three feet.

I completely agree with the points you've mentioned. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole thing yet. Part of me wants to build a bottom-end RV-9, get the experience of building, flying, and owning an airplane. This is best option from the standpoint of build it light, build it cheap(er). The RV-7, to me, is more of the "if I'm going to build this thing, it's going to have EVERYTHING in it", hot-rod airplane. Either would be amazing, but I'm not sure which is best for me.

The reality is, I work from home, have plenty of spare time, and would like to use that time to build, and subsequently fly, my own airplane. My fiance will more than likely be leaving her job to help me with my business, and I want an airplane that I *could* add a seat for my daughter (19 mos right now) so she can tag along until I build my air-Cadillac (RV-10). ;) We don't really have to fly fast, but once she's off to school, and most likely too big to have a spot in back (provided I'm able to devise something safe in the first place), I'll have plenty of time to go do my own flying during the day. So, I feel like a -9 is a less expensive midpoint between the -7 and the -10, which is why I'm considering it. The other part of me agrees with everyone who says "Build the plane you want to fly, because you'll be flying alone", which I definitely believe, and understand.

Mike

I unsderstood your point above.

So what don't you build the -12?

I was planning to build a 7 initially, due to -7 characteristics, I think it should be a full equipped airplane. A full -7 plus a bit more cash is enogh to build a -10.

At this moment, I am thinking about building the -12 first, then build a -10 full equipped. Haven't you considered this?

PS.: I think I'll change my mind sometimes yet.

Not sure who originally posted this but it stuck with me.

"You can fly a 7 like a 9, but a 9 won't fly like a 7"

Not sure who originally posted this but it stuck with me.

"You can fly a 7 like a 9, but a 9 won't fly like a 7"

Dan C posted this (95% sure). So, Mr. Landry, how's about taking me for a demo? ;)

Mike

PS - I should say that I agree with that. I am still leaning towards the -7A, but something about the -9A is slowing me down. (See what I did there? ;) )

Last edited:
I have to call BS on this one... The 7 does NOT fly like a 9. Both are great designs and imho, both will please anyone. :D

FWIW, if you ask Vans (or folks who fly 9's), the 9 is an upgraded 6/7, specifically designed for the more common mission- short flights (great slow speed handling) and x-country (less roll rate sensitivity, more stable, better economy). The latter is less an issue if the 7 has autopilot, btw

IMHO, the only real advantage of the 7 involves its larger fuel tanks and some pilots prefer the 7's ability to bleed off speed/altitude faster. I like the 9s significantly slower stall speed and higher glide ratio- a real safety issue if things go bad.

The top speed differences with similar powerplants is minimal at best, probably less than the differences between individual planes/props, and insignificant at cruise speeds. The 9's wing handles higher altitudes better and is slightly more efficient. You really need to try out a 180+ hp 9/9A sometime- then compare climb performance.:eek:

Dan C posted this (95% sure). So, Mr. Landry, how's about taking me for a demo? ;)

Mike

PS - I should say that I agree with that. I am still leaning towards the -7A, but something about the -9A is slowing me down. (See what I did there? ;) )

Send me a private email with your tel# and closest airport. We can set something up.
I'm based at BKV but could pick you up at any of the area airports.

Dan

Thanks for everything so far, guys. I have basically secured two rides in two RV-7A's, which will be great to see two different airplanes. Now I just need to find a -9A around here, and I'll be all set!

Mike

Back