What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Xtreme EFIS problems

rsr3

Well Known Member
A friend of mine has just installed an MGL Xtreme mini EFIS with EMS. The temperatures are reading incorrectly. Oil temp cold is 200+ Celsius. EGTs start at roughly ambient temperature but then go negative on start up! Fuel pressure and fuel flow both work fine.

We have tried a replacement RDAC and sensors - same problems. The dealer has recommended installing some older software?

RV9A with Lyc 0320.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Looks like not many here use the MGL Extreme because i was about to ask a question on the oil temp sender and saw your post here with no replies. :confused:

A while ago I posted a request to find fellow MGL iEFIS users. I got zero replies.
I don’t have an extreme but based on the symptoms you described I would check to see that the RDAC ground is connected directly to the engine case. Connecting it to the system ground can cause these types of errors.

I have a MGL Extreme EMS that's replacing a Dynon D10 that went belly up but I don't have the MGL EFIS. For that I use a G5 and Garmin 696 & 660.

I'm hoping to fly my plane home in the next couple of weeks once they figure out why the oil temps are high. They're replacing the Dynon probe with the MGL probe today, hopefully that's it.

This problem was resolved by the dealer eventually supplying a new unit with the latest software. Not before replacing both oil temp and carb sensors, and installing a replacement RDAC!

All said and done, it works fine now. Having built up a bit of experience with the unit’s installation over the last couple of months, if I can help with your oil sensor problem, I will…

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I'm also going to make sure the grounds are to the engine as suggested earlier by Mike to you, but it might help my problem or prevent another one from coming up later.

This problem was resolved by the dealer eventually supplying a new unit with the latest software. Not before replacing both oil temp and carb sensors, and installing a replacement RDAC!

All said and done, it works fine now. Having built up a bit of experience with the unit’s installation over the last couple of months, if I can help with your oil sensor problem, I will…

Software is updated with the SD card that fits in the front slot. Updates can be found on the MGL website.

The XTreme needs to be programed for the type of thermocouples used for temps.

The XTreme needs the oil temp type that they supply.

The RDAC needs a dedicated ground to the engine case.

I was one of the first to purchase the XTreme from Matt when he was the US dealer in Torrance CA. The unit is worth learning everything that it offers. It has great value, and has a very bright, non-reflective screen.

Do any of you MGL owners know of someone I can call for support?

After a few emails back and forth where they gave me incorrect information a couple of times (seems like just to get rid of my questions), MGL just sent me an email telling me to basically just move on and use it like that, even though it's not operating correctly as per the manual !! :eek::mad::mad:

There has to be someone who cares about the MGL brand, haven't found them yet but I'm still looking and can use the help finding them.

BTW this isn't brand bashing because I like the product, and I have the emails so I'm not exaggerating either. I just want to have the avionics I paid for working correctly.

Have you tried the South African user forum? There is a lot of info there and the site is frequented by Rainer who is the owner/developer/manufacturer.

Adam at Michigan Avionics provides great support. Call him.

Have you tried Michigan Avionics? These guys have been pretty helpful for me. Check out their knowledge base too.
https://www.michiganavionics.com/
For making your own screens on the MGL EFIS check out Dutchroll... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlrREFcRio&t=982s
He's the most informative out there. I think there are five videos. Dutchroll makes it easy to get started.

They're the ones who told me to just use it like that, not working as advertised, but enjoy the rest of the features. I'm now waiting for their next reply.

Have you tried the South African user forum? There is a lot of info there and the site is frequented by Rainer who is the owner/developer/manufacturer.

Maybe I'm spoiled because here in VAF we're all eager to share our experience and help others so everyone jumps in quickly with ideas. This is by far the best forum to help spread knowledge and experience, BUT OVER THERE...

I searched that forum and read everything but couldn't find any ideas on how to fix it. So I posted 3 issues over there and the posts got almost 4,000 views each, but no replies. After over a month when I returned to post my findings on how I resolved the issues so it would help others in the future, about 2 days later then Rainer chimed in on all 3 issues, not before. Little frustrating.

Does anyone have an MGL Xtreme EMS connected to a Gamin GPS, or to any GPS? I'm trying to find out if it's my Garmin Aera 660 or the MGL Xtreme EMS who's not working correctly because I was just told the problem is that it's a brand compatibility issue where I'm mixing brands so no brand will work 100%, but I've asked them before to show me which MGL GPS do they sell or to tell me which GPS is 100% compatible, and no reply from them.

MGL in America just keeps giving me incorrect answers apparently to see if I believe one of them and go away, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this to make sure it's not a safety issue. After all we're in the air and count on the reliability of our avionics, it's not like we can just park on the side of the road if an issue comes up.

Mgl

Mine did the same with my tru track, switched to I fly and works perfect. Matt told me they where not compatible

Autopilot

IMG_0272.jpgMy Ifly drives the auto pilot. Nice u it . I have the IFly on my pad and do flight planning at home. When at the hanger it will load my panel mount I fly and I am on my way. The MGL was always off and so was my Apollo sl60

Last edited:
View attachment 52849My Ifly drives the auto pilot. Nice u it . I have the IFly on my pad and do flight planning at home. When at the hanger it will load my panel mount I fly and I am on my way. The MGL was always off and so was my Apollo sl60

Ok, I see, your MGL Efis was not compatible with your autopilot. Makes sense, seems like MGL is only compatible with their own stuff even though they don't say any of that in any of their written ads or manuals, they tell you after you buy it and are having issues. :mad:

Back