What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

metal shavings in the screen

karu

I bought a used engine (AEIO 360 B1H) with about 150 hrs a little while ago. The seller told me that he found some metal shavings in the screen, suggested that cam and lifters may be damaged. Pulled #3 cylinder and cam and lifters are in good condition. Pulled #2 and possibly found the culprit. Actually, I found two of the push rods have similar marks. Replaced all the shrouds even with a hint of damage. I am hoping this is what created metal shavings.
While it looks somewhat bigger in the picture, the dent in the shroud is barely visible.

IMG_1225.JPGIMG_1226.JPG

Hmmm. I'd be curious if those are jsut rub marks or they were really being shaved. I would check the filter and sump screen again after 10 hours. We just pulled the screen on an O0320 that was completely overhauled about one year and 100 hours ago and found the sump screen almost blocked with shavings, necessitating a teardown. All 4 oc the connecting rods were shaving metal from the crankshaft.

1705176152021.jpeg1705176152021.jpeg

Thanks for the update, and I hope you have your engine issues resolved.

I just wanted to say how nice it is to see those pictures in bigger-than-actual size using my desktop monitor. Posts like this are going to help builders and pilots. Thanks for posting it.

v/r,dr

Hmmm. I'd be curious if those are jsut rub marks or they were really being shaved. I would check the filter and sump screen again after 10 hours. We just pulled the screen on an O0320 that was completely overhauled about one year and 100 hours ago and found the sump screen almost blocked with shavings, necessitating a teardown. All 4 oc the connecting rods were shaving metal from the crankshaft.

View attachment 53942View attachment 53942
That’s terrible. I don’t know how someone can do that unless they didn’t do any dimensioning prior to assembly?

Thanks for the suggestion Vic. I am still in the build phase (it actually is a cozy mk iv, not an RV 😊). I will be doing a lot of ground running and checking the newly installed filter from time to time.

Thanks for the suggestion Vic. I am still in the build phase (it actually is a cozy mk iv, not an RV 😊). I will be doing a lot of ground running and checking the newly installed filter from time to time.
I would encourage you to NOT do a lot of ground running. It’s really hard on the engine. The combustion byproducts end up causing a lot of corrosion in the engine as the engine temp really never gets high enough on the ground.

Vic

Replaced all the shrouds even with a hint of damage. I am hoping this is what created metal shavings.
Karu, I may have misunderstood the meaning of the above quote...
Are you referring to push rod tube damage? If so, have you rolled the push rods over a piece of glass plate to check for straightness? You might have a sticking valve.

I would keep looking. Those are light wear marks and would NOT produce shavings in the screen. At least not visible to the naked eye.

Vic, I will be careful and keep ground runs to a minimum.

Caveman, I have not rolled them over a flat surface. I visually checked the straightness. I will double check with a glass.

Ir172, the second posting is from Vic in a different situation. Seller showed my the shavings and it was quite a minuscule amount compared to the one in the picture.

Those polish marks are unusual. Contact with the shroud tube or something else?

Marks.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled #2 and #3 cylinders (one at a time and also torqued down the through bolts before turning the crank) and did not see trouble anywhere including cam and lifters. Plan is to run the engine once I finish and check again within a short time.

I pulled #2 and #3 cylinders (one at a time and also torqued down the through bolts before turning the crank) and did not see trouble anywhere including cam and lifters. Plan is to run the engine once I finish and check again within a short time.
Not to question your approach here, but if the screen has visible metal shavings, you DEFINITELY have a problem, whether you can see it or not. Flying it around and checking again later seems like a bad idea if there were truly "shavings" in the screen. If it were a small amount of fine dust like material, I might think differently.

Larry

Last edited:
I believe none of what I hear and half of what I see.
Cut open the oil filter, lay out the media and see what we have.

Last edited:
I may have used the wrong word. It was actually some small metal particles.
thehagg501. I bought this engine used. Previous owner had showed me only a picture.

Back