What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MD-RA "Certifications"

kearney

Well Known Member
Hi

I was recently told by a RV10 builder that his MD-RA Inspector required a written statement from him certifying that he did not modify the structure or design of his project. This statement was a pre-condition to issuing the flight authority.

I am interested in knowing if any other builders have received a similar request and if so did the inspector provide any details on this request. Details such as when was this new requirement implemented, by whom and for what reason.

I have a query in to Transport Canada Civil Aviation regarding this new requirement and will advise when I hear back - based on past performance that will likely be in February.

Can’t recall if I have provided a written statement but I have always been asked if I have deviated from the plans. I probably sign their document stating what was changed.

Can’t recall if I have provided a written statement but I have always been asked if I have deviated from the plans. I probably sign their document stating what was changed.

Asking about changes is fair dinkum. That was not was being asked for in the inspection.

Hi

I was recently told by a RV10 builder that his MD-RA Inspector required a written statement from him certifying that he did not modify the structure or design of his project. This statement was a pre-condition to issuing the flight authority.

I am interested in knowing if any other builders have received a similar request and if so did the inspector provide any details on this request. Details such as when was this new requirement implemented, by whom and for what reason.

I have a query in to Transport Canada Civil Aviation regarding this new requirement and will advise when I hear back - based on past performance that will likely be in February.

Here is my declaration from 2013. Part of the final application for airworthiness.

IMG_0099.jpg

It's not as scary as it sounds!

The certification statement is part of Transport Canada form 24-0079 "Application for Special Certificate of Airworthiness". It reads "I certify that the above information is correct and this aircraft complies with all the requirements for designation as an amateur-built aircraft as specified in Chapter 549 of the Airworthiness Manual."

Our MD-RA inspector advised that all that was needed for "28. Amateur-built parts" was high level list of the kit(s). Similarly for "29. Prefabricated parts"; just a high level list. The form has the engine and propeller make and model and you'll also be submitting an equipment list, so it's all a bit redundant.

We added one page with a picture, a sketch, and a brief description of why we changed the design, with references to the applicable Van's drawings and applicable standards eg AC 43.13-2 "Acceptable Methods" and any test methods. The Inspector didn't question modifications. I think it's for the records if the aircraft is ever in an accident.

In summary, you can change the design, just be prepared to describe what you did and explain that it's safe.

Actually this is very, very scary.

The certification I am referring to states “i certify i have made no modification to the structure or design of RV10……..

This is not listing changes, this is a prohibition against any changes or enhancements.

This statement is a document separate from form 24-0079.

Back