What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making Progress……

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It’s great to be building again, and the new F1 Rocket kit in our shop is coming along nicely.

Back before Christmas we did an inventory of this very early (but untouched) kit, and found it to be very complete - and anything that was missing has been worked with Vince at Team Rocket. Removing the variety of very old plastic and vinyl coatings proved (once again) that an impossible task becomes possible when you just dig in and work at it - most of the really bad stuff has been removed, and that remaining is the easier stuff. Louise has been busy with floor panel stiffeners, and is now busy with rudder pedals, while I have done all the baggage compartment stuff, battery tray, flap mechanism - and am now working on cockpit rails. It‘s great to have a variety of sub-projects on a project, so that if you get stumped or bored, you move to something else. For instance, every once in awhile, I take a piece of weldment to the blast cabinet and clean it up for eventual paint or powder coat….

Here’s last night’s status pic:

2EBD3636-6DE2-46A7-9111-9B0B819C4D46.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s great to be building again, and the new F1 Rocket kit in our shop is coming along nicely.

Back before Christmas we did an inventory of this very early (but untouched) kit, and found it to be very complete - and anything that was missing has been worked with Vince at Team Rocket. Removing the variety of very old plastic and vinyl coatings proved (once again) that an impossible task becomes possible when you just dig in and work at it - most of the really bad stuff has been removed, and that remaining is the easier stuff. Lousie has ben busy with floor panel stiffeners, and is now busy with ruder pedals, while I have done all the baggage compartment stuff, battery tray, flap mechanism - and am now working on cockpit rails. It‘s great to have a variety of sub-projects on a project, so that if you get stumped or bored, you move to something else. For instance, every once in awhile, I take a piece of weldment to the blast cabinet and clean it up for eventual paint or powder coat….

Here’s last night’s status pic:

View attachment 54578
Nice work! Progress! However, your work space is WAY too clean!! I love the reindeer keeping the one box closed! 🤣

Looking forward to watching this build, and some great write-ups.

Maybe I missed it previously, but do you have an engine in mind?

now busy with ruder pedals,
I'm glad that my pedals are well mannered. Also glad that I can keep myself to only one typo per post if I proof read five times.
Happy, also, about the fact that I don't have to go back and forth to the "Preview Post" to fix multiple typos. Thanks DR and BK.

Last edited:
Interesting choice. You chose the original versus below floor flap actuation. Your reasoning there, if you don't mind.

Couple of questions above….. (haven’t learned the Multi-Quote on this new system)

Flap mechanism - its an early kit, so it has the original above-floor torque tube and arms. It works, I have it, and I don’t have to wait on (or spend money on) additional parts. I have never felt the need to buy lots of “aftermarket” upgrades for kits - I build pretty much stock unless its a safety enhancement.

Wings - Sport wings - no EVO’s really available, and I want to fly this before the end of the 2020’s….. ;)

Yeah…I used to love the older Cubs with wooden spars, so why not go with what I know?! :)

Paul

Couple of questions above….. (haven’t learned the Multi-Quote on this new system)

--- snip ---

Paul
Multi-Quote has NOT been enabled in the software. I sent a "Conversation" message to the ADMIN people the other day pointing out that it would be a nice feature to have enabled.

(haven’t learned the Multi-Quote on this new system)
Multi-Quote has NOT been enabled in the software. I sent a "Conversation" message to the ADMIN people the other day pointing out that it would be a nice feature to have enabled.

Highlight each passage you'd like to quote and hit "reply."

Each time you hit reply, the highlighted passage will be added to your reply draft.

I was thinking that Rocket would look really good with the SS CF Taper wings.
And a 1/4" LEXAN flat wrap slope windscreen

Paul,

Did you get the EVO or Sport Wings?
Interesting choice. You chose the original versus below floor flap actuation. Your reasoning there, if you don't mind.
Highlight each passage you'd like to quote and hit "reply."

Each time you hit reply, the highlighted passage will be added to your reply draft.
Thank you for the tip. IT worked for me on this reply.

Guess an OLD guy can learn new things.

The other forum that uses the same software has a "+Quote" button for use with multi-reply. I sorta like the way you described better.

Really nice workmanship from the Czech factory. Built #3 N97HG. Fun, wife who is a non-pilot didn’t care for tandem configuration. Dat’s ok going to fly N360KT this spring with Jeff Lavelle’s old engine & prop refreshed. Glasair 3 RG with side by side. I’m a slow learner.

Cheers
howard R.

Back