What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightweight canopy cover

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
I had one for my previous RV-12 and liked it for the occasional overnight. The Bruces are much heavier and bulkier. Vans discontinued-https://store.vansaircraft.com/rv-12-12is-kroger-light-weight-canopy-cover-canopy-cover-lw-12.html

Anyone know of another source?

Just FYI, Bruce's travel cover for the -12, with its bag, is 3.4 lbs ...just as reference.

I have a Bruce for my 7A. Great cover but about 3X the weight and bulk and 2X price. Overkill for occasional use to always carry in baggage compartment which is why I'm looking for a source.

For what it's worth, I have a very lightweight cover (branded from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool) and am unhappy with it; it's ripped multiple times in storms and is a tremendous pain to get on in any wind. I'd go with Bruce's.

I bought one of these light weight covers at Oshkosh this year for my RV6. I like it for overnights or short stays. If you keep your airplane outside all the time, you should get the heavier version. For me, this one is great. Any cover can be a challenge to install on a windy day, but a helper will make it easy. This one is a little stretchy, so it lays down snug and does what I need it to.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/bruces-13-21093-98.php

I've only ever used the Cleveland lightweight covers, and have had three of them over 24 years. I like the light weight and have stuck with them for that reason. However there's a reason I've had three... one ripped off in a storm, one failed at the seams due to (evidently) too much UV exposure (1/4 time parked outside for several years), and the current one failed at a corner and was repaired at a sail shop. I'll make it work as long as I can but will undoubtedly end up with a heavier one some day. Don't get me wrong, they're good covers but the light weight also equates to light duty, is all.

Lightweight Canopy Cover

I believe we bought our cover from Cleveland tools and are happy with it. It is very lightweight. Not used for covering outdoors other than overnights usually. I could not find a cover for RV-12 on Cleveland's current website, perhaps call call Cleveland.

What Vans sold was from Cleveland. They no longer make them. Said they lost their fabric supplier during COVID. Still looking for a lightweight water proof cover, not a satin dust cover for use just in a hanger.

Back