What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jihostroj governor?

DavidP2020

Well Known Member
I am about to buy a Whirlwind 300 series prop for my RV-10. WW offers a Jihostroj governor ($1850). It appears the Hartzell governor offered by Vans would also work ($2310).

For anyone running the Jihostroj governor, could you provide feedback on how well it works and reliability/maintenance?

How was the installation compared to the stock Hartzell?

Thanks!

Good results

I put the Jihostroj on my IO-360 A3B6D with a WW 151 prop. The prop was an adventure with a SB for new blades and then a new hub, but the governor has been flawless for approx 700 hrs. The quality was great, install was easy.

Hope this helps.
FM

I've had this governor on my O-360 since day 1, now at 2100+ hours. Easy install, no issues with it at all. Go for it! Convert the $500 saved into avgas.

Awesome

1150hrs,
smooth as silk to operate.

I work with and fly many Hartzells on RV-10's and I really like my Gov.

This is essentially the same prop governor as the PCU5000X. I bought mine direct from Aircraft Propeller Service and received excellent service (have yet to install).

More than 1500 hrs on a Jihostroj on my IO360/9A with a Whirlwind prop, no issues yet.

I’ve had two of these governors and they were flawless. It is slightly smaller than the Hartzell, or former Woodward governors, and operate at a higher pressure, which the early Whirlwind 3-blade required. I was told that the Jihostroj is a Chech - cloned Hamilton Standard governor, like those used on radial recips. I don’t know if that’s true, but it was capable of considerably more oil pressure to the hub than my original Woodward.

I bought Jihostroj governor directly from European manufacturer for my RV10.
It arrived all pre-set for RPM limit I requested. I only had to physically install it on my engine and set my prop's static RPMs limit.
So far (under 100 hours) I am very happy with the result and product quality. It keeps my RPMs rock solid. Definitely recommended.
I fly behind two blade Hartzell.
;)

It took me a while to figure out how to clock it correctly during initial assembly, but in operation with my WW 200RV prop it was flawless.

I bought Jihostroj governor directly from European manufacturer for my RV10.
It arrived all pre-set for RPM limit I requested. I only had to physically install it on my engine and set my prop's static RPMs limit.
So far (under 100 hours) I am very happy with the result and product quality. It keeps my RPMs rock solid. Definitely recommended.
I fly behind two blade Hartzell.
;)

What rpm limit did you request and why? That's an area I haven't researched yet. I will have a standard 8.5:1 Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-540.

Thanks for the review!

This is essentially the same prop governor as the PCU5000X. I bought mine direct from Aircraft Propeller Service and received excellent service (have yet to install).
It is the same, manufactured by Jihostrij with a PCU5000X label stuck on it, literally. When I had my prop overhauled, I decided to send the governor in also. The shop called me and said when they cleaned it the sticker came off, and under it was the Jihostroj placard. They also noted that Jihostroj doesn’t have a calendar TBO. PCU5000X does, or puts that liability on the user. They did an inspection and reseal instead of an overhaul and sent it back as a Jihostroj with appropriate paper work.

Great units and should go all the way to your engine TBO, as stated by Jihostrij.

Limits are set by the engine manufacturer.

We’ve got four of them in our little fleet, and they just keep on governing….high time is 2200 hours with no issues. Next project will get the same thing!

Is there a TBO (hours) on the governor? I'm at 1530 something hours now and it's never missed a lick. I think I'll leave it on there until the engine gets an overhaul unless I hear otherwise.

What rpm limit did you request and why? That's an area I haven't researched yet. I will have a standard 8.5:1 Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-540.

Thanks for the review!

At order time I provided manufacturer with my engine and airplane models, my prop model and asked them to set 2700 RPM as the top limit. They are very familiar with our RVs. I guess many have ordered in the past for RVs directly from them.
The limit of 2700 RPM for governor was set as per recommendation of the shop who re-built my engine for me. I suspect most of IO540 should have 2700 as the top limit. Also the prop static limit (independent from governor) was set by me to 2650 RPM. Overall I am satisfied with these settings and I guess in case of governor failure my prop will keep below or at 2700 RPM max with static settings I made.

Last edited:
Is there a TBO (hours) on the governor? I'm at 1530 something hours now and it's never missed a lick. I think I'll leave it on there until the engine gets an overhaul unless I hear otherwise.

Per the Jihostroj web site, they recommend overhaul at engine TBO.

Both the MT governor and PCU5000 are all the same as Jihostroj governor, only they put their tag on it.
Unless things have changed since last time I contacted them, I would prefer to buy Jihostroj directly as it is a bit cheaper and they don't have a calendar year overhaul requirement. My MT governor which was exactly the same as Jihostroj governor with the MT tag on it, had a calendar year overhaul requirement.

Thumbs Up

I’ve been running the Jihostroj governor on my XP 360 with the 200 WW prop for 500 hours with no issues. I’d do it again. I don’t get as much throw as I’d like out of the prop control in the throttle quadrant but that’s a different issue.

Back